[PC Game] 2017 PC Gaming

I'm still going to create a PC only thread, sorry, I don't own any of the new consoles or handhelds nor I'm inclined to get them at this point. That being said, I'd like to discuss PC games without having to read/look at trailers of games on other platforms. 0 interest and it's lameduck to peruse threads with trailers with shit on platforms you can't play nor want to and the associated discussion of it.

2017 is shaping up to be a great year, at least to me for PC gaming.

My most anticipated games :

1. Bannerlord (New Mount & Blade)

This is my sandbox orgasm and probably the only game I'll pre-order.
It has an ETA of Q2 and I can't wait for its release.
I know it's not for everyone but that's why the PS Vita exists.

2. Kingdom Come Deliverance

Backed it, can't wait for it.
Played the demo, I liked it, stopped playing as I don't want any spoiler.

3. Torment

Backed it, can't wait for it.
I have purposely avoided any updates as I want to go in with virgin eyes and experience this world again.

4. Mass Effect : Andromeda

Mass Effect 3 was a disappointment but I'm over it. Going in MP was my fear now it was the best part of the game and can't wait to play again with my old crew on the hardest difficulties. SP experience may be vastly improved, maybe not. Recent gameplay video looked decent but I hope it's not DA:I, it was better than DA2 but I literally left 25% of the game untouched as the game became some fucking mundane with it's MMO like quest system I couldn't take it anymore.... only to smoke the fuck out of the last boss on the hardest difficulty within 2 minutes.

The Bioware I know of old is dead, I'm playing BG2 and it's great. I'm hoping they can get a little better but I'm going to be realistic going in.

5. State of Decay 2.

Loved the first game albeit some of its very obvious flaws. I love zombie survival/scanavage/building but it has to be done right. New game will add coop, that's interesting to me.

Prey gets special mention as well (anytime something gets mentioned "system shock-like" I can't help be intrigied).

Instead of new games, I'm most looking forward to updates to the games I already have, such as Stardew Valley and Subnautica.

The only game I'm really even thinking about for 2017 right now is the full release of Divinity Original Sin 2, which will also allow 4 players.

Instead of new games, I'm most looking forward to updates to the games I already have, such as Stardew Valley and Subnautica.
Stardew Valley, to be is probably the surprise hit of the year. Easily on my Top 3 of 2016. What kind of updates were planned? MP? I don't care for that.

The only game I'm really even thinking about for 2017 right now is the full release of Divinity Original Sin 2, which will also allow 4 players.
Backed the first one and I couldn't play more than a few hours. I kept fighting the camera and there was just soooo many things to break with retarded amounts of loot.
I'm happy it was successful and it got a second game however despite my disappointment with it.

I hope they'll work on a new license.... hopefully Star Wars related.

Backed the first one and I couldn't play more than a few hours. I kept fighting the camera and there was just soooo many things to break with retarded amounts of loot.
I'm happy it was successful and it got a second game however despite my disappointment with it.

I hope they'll work on a new license.... hopefully Star Wars related.
Gas and I got something like 150+ hours out of the first, I'm ready for the second to leave early access.

Stardew Valley, to be is probably the surprise hit of the year. Easily on my Top 3 of 2016. What kind of updates were planned? MP? I don't care for that.
MP is coming, yes. That's the only planned update that's known for sure, I think, but there will probably be other gameplay updates too, even if they're relatively minor (eg new crops).

GasBandit

Staff member
The buggy state of Subnautica really burned me. The first 3 hours really got me hyped up into it, which is a really big thing for me considering my... thing... about deep water... and then it started crashing every 30 seconds and ARGHGHH
I'm down, but do you think Terrik will be able to stand a turn based game... especially at our sometimes glacial pace? I mean, we stop to read the story and don't skip cutscenes! That'd be like waterboarding him!
Hrm, maybe I should swallow my "BUT IT IS FARM" objections and finally get it. I've never heard anybody say anything bad about it.

I know what you mean, but it really does get a lot better about that once you get far enough in the plot to move on from that town and never have to go back.

I'm down, but do you think Terrik will be able to stand a turn based game... especially at our sometimes glacial pace? I mean, we stop to read the story and don't skip cutscenes! That'd be like waterboarding him!
Afaik he made it through the first one solo. So how bad could it really be?! >.>

GasBandit

Staff member
Afaik he made it through the first one solo. So how bad could it really be?! >.>
Well, when he plays by himself, he can go at his pace, not ours, and can skip dialog and cutscenes. Also he didn't have to wait for us to sort inventory/visit merchants etc etc.

Well, when he plays by himself, he can go at his pace, not ours, and can skip dialog and cutscenes. Also he didn't have to wait for us to sort inventory/visit merchants etc etc.
Look, he still plays Final Fantasy Games. He must have the patience skill somewhere.

The buggy state of Subnautica really burned me. The first 3 hours really got me hyped up into it, which is a really big thing for me considering my... thing... about deep water... and then it started crashing every 30 seconds and ARGHGHH

Hrm, maybe I should swallow my "BUT IT IS FARM" objections and finally get it. I've never heard anybody say anything bad about it.

I know what you mean, but it really does get a lot better about that once you get far enough in the plot to move on from that town and never have to go back.

You can get a redheaded waifu in stardew valley, if that helps any.

Also yes, Stardew Valley is awesome.
There are two marriable redheads actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1481074478,1481074131][/DOUBLEPOST]
I started running into crashes (or maybe I should say swimming into crashes, amirite? :D) in Subnautica too, but this fixed it for me:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2319591

Basically, delete the "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache" folders in your savegame folder. Apparently the game loads up too much stuff in the gameworld, and when it becomes too much, Subnautica crashes. Deleting these folders will "reset" your gameworld back to its original state. This means that any alterations you've made to the gameworld will be returned to their original states, the most noticeable effect being that resources you've harvested previously will all be there again. Your inventory, seabases, blueprints etc will all be unchanged.

GasBandit

Staff member
There are two marriable redheads actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1481074478,1481074131][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is polygamy an option?
I started running into crashes (or maybe I should say swimming into crashes, amirite? :D) in Subnautica too, but this fixed it for me:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2319591

Basically, delete the "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache" folders in your savegame folder. Apparently the game loads up too much stuff in the gameworld, and when it becomes too much, Subnautica crashes. Deleting these folders will "reset" your gameworld back to its original state. This means that any alterations you've made to the gameworld will be returned to their original states, the most noticeable effect being that resources you've harvested previously will all be there again. Your inventory, seabases, blueprints etc will all be unchanged.
I read about that too, and it disgruntled me further. I'm pretty sure resource depletion is supposed to be part of the survival mechanic, and it feels cheap to reset the resources to stop the crashes - especially given that the game apparently didn't USED to have this problem. Space engineers used to have a similar problem in this manner as well - the more you altered your environment (drilling away rock, mostly) the worse any given server would perform. This was because the map was "made" from a formula into which a random seed was plugged... but alterations to that world had to be logged individually and manually in a glorified XML file. The more entries made in that file to describe deviations from the formulated base world, the worse the game performed. Most server admins got around this simply by periodically wiping that XML file, restoring all the asteroids to their pristine condition. Still felt bogus to me.

Is polygamy an option?

I read about that too, and it disgruntled me further. I'm pretty sure resource depletion is supposed to be part of the survival mechanic, and it feels cheap to reset the resources to stop the crashes - especially given that the game apparently didn't USED to have this problem. Space engineers used to have a similar problem in this manner as well - the more you altered your environment (drilling away rock, mostly) the worse any given server would perform. This was because the map was "made" from a formula into which a random seed was plugged... but alterations to that world had to be logged individually and manually in a glorified XML file. The more entries made in that file to describe deviations from the formulated base world, the worse the game performed. Most server admins got around this simply by periodically wiping that XML file, restoring all the asteroids to their pristine condition. Still felt bogus to me.
Yeah, that sounds similar to what Subnautica is going through. Personally I'm ok with this workaround, though, because to be honest resources aren't that hard to find, so having them all reset doesn't seem like a big deal either.

Except silver. I always run out of silver.

And no, there is no polygamy in Stardew Valley, at least as far as marriage is concerned. If you're not tying the knot, though, you can be in "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" status simultaneously with six different guys and six different girls, and no one will bat an eye.

Some grist for the mill:

Man, I was having a terrible time thinking of games I was looking forward too. That list just did all the work for me.

I backed the Battlechasers game since I just have a soft spot for Joe Mad and I own like every dumb ass variant cover of the original run of the comics, despite how shitty they are. Hopefully he does actually get around to finishing like he's promised. I don't expect this one to make it in 2017 though, in general Kickstarter fashion. They have been keeping backers generally updated and all the work they've done looks super promising.

Torment looks fantastic and I refuse to look at any of the early access stuff for it. Gonna wait till it's done.

Fractured But Whole still looks incredible.

Pyre is a pleasant surprise. I love Bastion and Transistor so I'm stoked to see that team tackle an RPG.

Looking decent but I'm gonna wait for more updates to have a real idea what this game is about.
Not sure about the PVP.

Oh, I really want a goddamned Pirate game again.

What's wrong with me, I want to play this game.
You know, I've long thought that if someone ever made a really good, immersive, high quality hunting game that it could be very popular, because pretty much every hunting game has been shit.