A Loki Place for Spoilers

Oh that's actually really cool.

I remember when I saw that scene, how it seems to drag on for awhile longer then I expected. His "realization" that he passed the threshold of his knowledge didn't need to be a long drawn out moment, but it did, and when sitting side by side with WandaVision, it almost feels like they were supposed to be together all along. That's the good stuff.

Direct video for those that don't want to read the article.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm enjoying season 2 so far. No real spoilers to discuss, but s2e2 is titled "Breaking Bad" and it feels like a missed opportunity to not call it "Branching Bad".

The Loki finale was the Doctor Whoist episode since the S2 premiere.

And it was...okay. I don't know, it didn't do much for me. I didn't honestly understand what Loki was doing at the end and it's not explained very well.

Still, good finale for what was mostly a fumbled S2.

figmentPez

Staff member
I didn't honestly understand what Loki was doing at the end and it's not explained very well.
I thought it was pretty clear. Loki chose to take on the burden of keeping the infinite timelines alive, preventing the Time War, by setting himself up as a god. The details aren't given, but the broad strokes are clear. The new shape of the timelines is a tree, a reference to Yggdrasil the World Tree. Loki has shown himself to be his father's son, even though he was adopted and felt like Thor was the favored child. Loki hasn't just become King of Asgard, he's taken on more responsibility than he ever dreamed of, and done it not for glory, or pleasure, or even out of spite. He's now a new Allfather, in a way even Odin wasn't. He's taken on the burden of the multiverse because he genuinely cares about people, and giving them a chance.

The entire series has been building to this. Loki is burdened with glorious purpose. His variants are more varied than anyone else's. He has potential to be more than he, or anyone else, thought possible. He Who Remains offered Loki a throne at the end of time, ruling over a single timeline. Sylvie accused Loki of being seduced by that throne. Loki then decided to make his own throne, on his own terms. "It's not about what, or where, or how. It's about Doctor Who who." Loki found friends who he was willing to sacrifice for, and then made that sacrifice not only for them, but for everyone.

Loki, god of mischief, is doing the most punk thing possible: giving everyone free will. He destroyed the system that was keeping a totalitarian regime in place, and replaced it with infinite possibility.

Last edited:
I saw it it more as he used Yggdrasil for the model of how he would maintain the multiverse, since Yggdrasil already exists in Marvel lore as Thor described it to Jane in the first Thor movie. HWR's solution was a ring but that model doesn't work in a situation where infinite branches can occur as the whole season showed.

I saw it it more as he used Yggdrasil for the model of how he would maintain the multiverse, since Yggdrasil already exists in Marvel lore as Thor described it to Jane in the first Thor movie. HWR's solution was a ring but that model doesn't work in a situation where infinite branches can occur as the whole season showed.
OOH so Loki PLAGIARIZED Yggdrassil? THAT is on brand, I love it.

But also, you are dealing with time, and someone messed with time and sorta re-wrote it to exclude other realities. Maybe it was always Yggdrasil and always required a Loki to bring it into place, but He Who Remains ruined that for a period.

What I really liked about Loki, both seasons 1and especially 2, is that it really felt like a solid science fiction tale. It wasn't a "superhero story", it went back to Thor's origins in the scifi Journey Into Mystery comics. I've always felt that what made the best Marvel films and series is when they pick a genre that best fits the character and build around that. I feel like the weakest Marvel offerings are the ones that forget that. I feel like Loki was one of the better examples as of late why these characters can be worth exploring. Marvel can continue success if they remember "superhero" isn't, and shouldn't be, a genre; it is a medium to tell a story with.

That, and stop releasing things every few months. Breath in between offerings, okay? Leave 'em wanting more.

That, and stop releasing things every few months.
This has been the main issue for me. Even if all of Marvel's offerings were excellent (and, let's be fair, not all of them have been excellent) there's simply too much of them, and I haven't been able to keep up. If I stop watching and a backlog of shows and movies builds up, this doesn't make me want to get cracking and watch them all, it just makes me want to stop watching altogether.

If watching Marvel movies and shows starts to feel like homework, then I'm gonna lose interest.

Also I still need to finish Moon Knight.

I, personally, don't object to how many projects they're making. I like that they're looking at variety. I just think they're releasing them too often and too close together. They're flooding the market. Slow it down, give us some time to digest, and then have something to look forward to.

I, personally, don't object to how many projects they're making. I like that they're looking at variety. I just think they're releasing them too often and too close together. They're flooding the market. Slow it down, give us some time to digest, and then have something to look forward to.
I'm not all that worried about the speed of the projects coming out. The quality of them has dipped these last few seasons. If that has to do with how quickly they are churning out projects then yeah, they need to slow down. But if they could put out stuff consistently as strong as Loki and Guardians 3 I'd be just fine with their current release schedule.