amagurumi and other crochet stuff

It looks likes it's missing some Infinity Stones.
Someone made that observation, too :) The original pattern was much daintier, but I used a heavier yarn and marginally larger hook because I was more interested in 1) being warm and 2) fitting my big man hands. Plus, I picked a rough and rustic looking yarn--and, well, my stitches are still a little rough.

Here's the pic from the original pattern at https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fingerless-gloves-218
1641425962053.png

The most satisfying thing? This yarn was in a 1 pound skein, which was just too much and too unwieldy. So I wound off a smaller cake. At some point, I said "that's enough" and cut the cake off. This is what's left of that cake. So satisfying!

1641491077282.png

big 7 oz skein for comparison. 1lbs is slightly more than double this size.
1641491136650.png

Yarn wound into cakes with a yarn winder
1641491224122.png

Last edited:
Ahh, if you had only started this thread a few years ago. My MIL closed her company December 2019, which was a high-end knitwear company. Funny enough, one of the items they sold was a glove similar to the one your making. Anyway, they had to get rid of SO. MUCH. YARN. So may colors, so many types. I could have shipped you skeins that you could have opened your own Etsy shop.

This one was a real challenge. It's not perfect, but considering that I used two different types of yarn from two different brands (red is acrylic, white is cotton) that were slightly different weights, I think it didn't turn out half bad. Part of the challenge was translating the pattern from Danish to English and hoping I didn't screw anything up.

New technique in this one: Blocking. This is where you pin pieces to a foam board and use water or steam to set the shape. Both the red and white bits wanted to curl something fierce, and there was no way I was going to be able to braid/assemble them without blocking. Luckily, I already had a clothes steamer from when I moved to TX and put all my stuff in luggage.

resized 20220108_143851.jpg

Started Ralph the Reindeer on New Years' Eve but since Christmas was already over, I didn't feel any great rush to finish him up.

Since I'm between projects, I figured I'd finish up the snout and antlers and get 'er done.
20220109_230533.jpg

So, I figure, how can I learn to crochet if I don't learn granny squares? They're like, the bedrock of the craft. But before I get into that, I had a pattern for a "granny heart", which is made very similar to a granny square, but ends up as a heart shape. Plus, it had a new stitch for me to work on.

New technique for this: The treble crochet.
20220110_131707 sm.jpg