Amazon Is Creating a Drone Army

It'll be fun when these things glitch, dropping packages from the sky, or being unable to release a package and flying back to the facility with them.

Not to mention the people who might try tampering with or stealing them.

And of course we'll eventually become too dependent on them and become their slaves.

I wonder if people in certain....states (Florida, I'm talking about Florida) will be shooting these down. You know, in self defense.

From what I understand the intention of the drone is to get it to you within 30 minutes of you ordering the item, thus you would order it and still be home by the time it is delivered, at which point Amazon would ping you to go outside and pick it up. It's not going to be like regular shipping in which you have no idea when it will show up and thus go leave for a few hours only to find it on their doorstep when they return. That just won't work since the drone won't be able to leave it on doorsteps, at best driveways or backyards.

As for shooting them down, that will likely be possible, but considering they want FAA approval they will probably have these guys flying pretty high up. I don't think they will be buzzing just above houses for any redneck with a gun to start shooting wildly, and if a redneck opens fire at his neighbors house while one of these is attempting to land I bet there will be more problems then just a shot down drone.

It's about time.

This will save Amazon Billions of dollars in shipping per year. Yes, that's Billions with a B. In 2012 they spent over 5 billion dollars just in shipping fees to send stuff to customers, and that's at a steeply discounted rate from their shipping suppliers.

If they can put just a few thousand drones on each warehouse, working during daylight hours they could easily drop a few billion in shipping costs.

It's still awhile away, though, because the FAA does not yet allow civilian or commercial drone operation. They allow radio control flights, but they must be within an operator's line of sight at all times. Some people and businesses are skirting this law, and a few of them are getting caught (mostly for doing it stupidly, or advertising their service and having competitor's tattletaling on them to regulators).

There are other risks associated with such a program, but the benefits will certainly outweigh the risks for a business as large as Amazon.

In fact, I expect others to clamor to it as well - walmart, cosco, mcdonalds, pizza hut, etc will certainly try to implement such a system. We're going to have a bumpy ride as the FAA and regulators figure out how to implement autonomous drone laws (and they'll have to be autonomous - with one operator managing a few dozen in flight at any given time), but it'll come.

Probably a prime time to start a drone company, actually. There are hundreds already starting, but what is really needed is a lobbying effort to guide the regulators in a good direction that doesn't lead to problems.

Penny-Arcade's take on the backlash. I heard something similar from a family member.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a situation in which I would absolutely need an item I ordered online to be delivered within 30 minutes and traveling to the store to buy said item wouldn't be possible or more practical.

That said, I would probably order the fuck out of something just to watch the skies for my item to be flying robot delivered straight to me just because that would be totally awesome.

I'd order 30 things, each just under the maximum weight of each drone, and re-enact the scene from Wizard of Oz as the fleet arrived and left.

"Fly my pretties! Fly!"

I have to admit, if I could get something delivered by drone to my apartment on the 25th floor of my building because the drone comes to my balcony, I will finally admit we're almost in the future.

In case you were thinking of amassing your own drone army, you might want to check out this new (USA) law (.pdf) that went into effect just a few days ago regarding "Remote ID."
Manufacturers of drones made after 16 September 2022 must, from today (16 December), ensure that those drones are "Standard Remote ID" compliant. This means that the drones must broadcast packets of data once per second (using Bluetooth or Wifi) that contain the position speed and path of the drone, a unique identifier and the operator's position including height above ground.... [emphasis mine]

Already, several companies have announced their intention to build networks of receivers that will create a realtime database of all drone activity in the USA, showing the positions of the drones and their operators and flagging any non-compliant craft.
"Lucky me!" you may think. "My drone was made before the cutoff, so I don't need to worry!" Ah, but this is not so.
By September 16, 2023, all U.S. hobbyists must fit "broadcast remote ID" modules to their RC model aircraft or older drones which also make them Remote ID compliant (unless they are under 250g in mass or are flown in pre-approved areas called FRIAs)....

Drone and radio-controlled model aircraft users must register with the FAA [unless [the drone] weigh(s) less than 0.55 pounds], sit (and pass) a knowledge test and soon have this Remote ID technology installed on all their craft.
Hottest sellers this holiday season! Drones which weigh 249g (8¾oz) or less.

--Patrick