Anonymous random halforumite sex poll

Would you sign up for the Halforums Snu-Snu matching service (read the post)?

• I am male, and I would sign up.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I am male, and I would not sign up.

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I am female, and I would sign up.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I am female, and I would not sign up.

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

GasBandit

Staff member
Spawned from a discussion in (of all places) Grytpipe's birthday thread.

Imagine there was a matchmaking service that, if you signed up, it would randomly match you with a halforum user of the opposite gender for a one-night-stand. For the purposes of this thought exercise, imagine your spouse and children do not exist - you are single.

Knowing that:
  1. As a male, there is a distinct likelihood that you will not receive a match since females are so incredibly outnumbered here.
  2. As a male or female, you would have absolutely no input as to who your match would be, other than it would be someone who also voluntarily signed up.
  3. Each round of matching costs $20 to sign up, even if you end up not being matched.
  4. Being matched means guaranteed sex, no strings attached.
... would you sign up? This poll is completely anonymous, unless for some reason you want to reply to the thread with your answer.

Being matched means guaranteed sex, no strings attached.
*raises hand*

What if someone, not saying who, and definitely not saying me, but what if someone has, y'know, difficulty performing? Which can be exacerbated by being with a relatively unfamiliar partner or in a less-than-optimal environment? Do they call off the "date"? Or do they reserve the "date" for another time, and keep trying until the horizontal mambo-jambo does successfully take place?

I originally voted "Would not sign up"..but I remembered your admonishment to pretend that we were single.

And I remembered how horny I get when I don't have readily available partners.

So I changed my vote based on that.

That said...you're leaving out the non hetero people in this post. You might get more takers if you changed the rules to mean you'd matched with anyone from halforums, regardless of gender, as long as you were sexually compatible.

edit: and if the poll said "random stranger" instead of someone I sorta knew from here, I'd still choose no. I've done the random one-night-stand thing. It's rarely fulfilling. FWB, though? I'm down ;)

edit 2: So, to talk about the poll's premise, instead of the poll itself:

I think the stereotype of men wanting to jump anything that moves does a bit of disservice to men. I don't think it's actually true. I've known lots of guys who'd turn down random sex. And I think the stereotype of women not pursuing sex is also an exaggeration. I've been chased by plenty of women in bars. I think there may be a bit of truth to the stereotypes, but the actuality lies closer in the middle than the "common wisdom"

Edit 3: At the current tallies, one guy gets laid and two go home and jerk off. That's better odds and cheaper than buying some random hotness drinks at a bar.

Last edited:
*raises hand*

What if someone, not saying who, and definitely not saying me, but what if someone has, y'know, difficulty performing? Which can be exacerbated by being with a relatively unfamiliar partner or in a less-than-optimal environment? Do they call off the "date"? Or do they reserve the "date" for another time, and keep trying until the horizontal mambo-jambo does successfully take place?
I would say let's assume this is an optimal situation. Everything will work out, and all the right parts will work in all the right places.

In this wholly rhetorical situation, I would sign up, but from a "Eh, sure, let's see what happens" sort of perspective, and less of a "I need sex" situation.

Does sex have to be guaranteed? Can we just play videos games or something?

I don't come here for sex.
I don't want to sex someone I haven't developed a relationship with, either.
So at a minimum, random (in-forum OR out) = automatic nope.
I've never looked at a picture of a woman and thought, "Oh, man...what I wouldn't give to have sex with her!" but I have thought, "Oh, man...what I wouldn't give to strike up a relationship with her!"
There are many, many people I would've liked to get to know better. And perhaps more, later, but never "first."

--Patrick

Last edited:
I originally voted "Would not sign up"..but I remembered your admonishment to pretend that we were single.

I think the stereotype of men wanting to jump anything that moves does a bit of disservice to men. I don't think it's actually true. I've known lots of guys who'd turn down random sex. And I think the stereotype of women not pursuing sex is also an exaggeration. I've been chased by plenty of women in bars. I think there may be a bit of truth to the stereotypes, but the actuality lies closer in the middle than the "common wisdom"
Yes and Yes! I would never have said yes if I had to base it on the last 15 years (oh surprise I'm the one female vote for signing up). But thinking back to when I was in my mid-20's when I was totally single...yeah, I probably would have done it.
I also see this portrayal of gender roles as a disservice to both and agree that it is probably closer to the middle. I don't believe Halforums in itself is a generalizable sample of the larger US or world population. But that's just me.

edit 2: So, to talk about the poll's premise, instead of the poll itself:

Thank you Tin, for making the same argument as me and Wasabi, and being male while doing so. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
*raises hand*

What Kags said.

And I remembered how horny I get when I don't have readily available partners.

So I changed my vote based on that.
That is exactly why I included that stipulation :D for the purposes of this theoretical situation, nobody's getting it on the reg already, and by the same token they don't have any significant others tying them down. That said, it is NOT implied that not signing up implies you can't pursue company on your own terms. Not signing up doesn't mean you have to go celibate, it just means you don't want to sign up for this particular thing. You can still chase tail normally, whether you sign up or not, from within the group or without.

That said...you're leaving out the non hetero people in this post. You might get more takers if you changed the rules to mean you'd matched with anyone from halforums, regardless of gender, as long as you were sexually compatible.
It's explicitly to explore the nature of hetero relationships. Same sex relationships often seem to be devoid of the same hoops and hangups, and thus would skew the results from what I'm trying to explore here.[DOUBLEPOST=1454381113,1454381050][/DOUBLEPOST]
In this wholly rhetorical situation, I would sign up, but from a "Eh, sure, let's see what happens" sort of perspective, and less of a "I need sex" situation.

Does sex have to be guaranteed? Can we just play videos games or something?
Well, you can play video games, but you don't have to sign up for this for that. This matchmaking service is for sex.

Call me a cheap pervert if you must, but that $20 price tag for each round was the deal-breaker for me. Not with the odds so stacked against getting some.

If it was free, you'd get my John Hancock (heh), if only in a "eh, sure, why not, could be fun if it happens, no biggie if not" kinda way.

GasBandit

Staff member
Call me a cheap pervert if you must, but that $20 price tag for each round was the deal-breaker for me. Not with the odds so stacked against getting some.

If it was free, you'd get my John Hancock (heh), if only in a "eh, sure, why not, could be fun if it happens, no biggie if not" kinda way.
An entirely valid point of view, and that part of the poll's premise was there to see how much that would also be a factor.

I find this conversation interesting.

And I'm not sure I have a definite answer of my own. I think there are days I would sign up, especially because it takes out a lot of what was hard about dating to me - the not knowing. If there's a guarantee for sex, that would make me less nervous trying imagine where things would go and it would be fun to me. That said, I don't think I would have any desire to sign up frequently? I dunno, there's a lot of variables going on, in my opinion.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find this conversation interesting.

And I'm not sure I have a definite answer of my own. I think there are days I would sign up, especially because it takes out a lot of what was hard about dating to me - the not knowing. If there's a guarantee for sex, that would make me less nervous trying imagine where things would go and it would be fun to me. That said, I don't think I would have any desire to sign up frequently? I dunno, there's a lot of variables going on, in my opinion.
Well, you don't have to sign up every DAY, I'd say just once or every so often would count as a "yes I would" vote. That said, also bear in mind this is not signing up for a date, it is signing up for no-strings-attached sex. I mean, nothing says you can't go on a date, I guess, but it's kind of unconnected to what's being tested here.

Well, you don't have to sign up every DAY, I'd say just once or every so often would count as a "yes I would" vote. That said, also bear in mind this is not signing up for a date, it is signing up for no-strings-attached sex. I mean, nothing says you can't go on a date, I guess, but it's kind of unconnected to what's being tested here.
Sorry, I think you misunderstand what I meant or said. I know it's just sex. But I can say most certainly that my inability to strike up conversations with people and if I were to try and 'get someone' on my own terms...it would take forever. So the idea of meeting up with someone knowing it would lead to sex makes me far less nervous. I didn't mean to imply it would be a date or a declaration of dating would follow after sex.

EDIT: I was likening a real world situation - my struggle to date - to a not real world situation.

Not gonna lie, I'm a big proponent of friends become FWBs - if there's already that chemistry, it tends to lead to fun times when playing together.

And $20 is less than the price of a decent date - So long as everyone involved is getting on board with the same goal in mind, then it's $20 well spent, in my opinion.

I still want an option for those wanting to double their chances of a date on Saturday night.

I also want to volunteer my services to take care of the sign-up list.

GasBandit

Staff member
I still want an option for those wanting to double their chances of a date on Saturday night.

I also want to volunteer my services to take care of the sign-up list.
It's not a date, but it IS guaranteed! And I guess there's nothing to say you can't sign up every single day if you want...

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm a dude, and I have a huge libido. No offense, but I find it difficult to believe other dudes who say they wouldn't have sex with anyone reasonably physically attractive, which is itself a very flexible metric. I know I'm not alone by any means, since this is the origin of like 90% of all jokes ever written. I believe that there are guys that believe they wouldn't...until the moment arrives.

I dunno, I've turned down 100% certain sex in the past, even while single and horny as all fuck.

That said, assuming I'm single, and given the amount of women on here, I'd say there's at least a decent chance of ending up with someone I would consider at least acquaintance or friend, and then, sure, why not?
At the very least, $20 is horribly cheap to fly over to the US or Canada. the only female board member in my neighbourhood's Ame. Assuming LordRendar's male. So, after a few tries, I'm bound to make it transatlantically. Neat!

I'm a dude, and I have a huge libido. No offense, but I find it difficult to believe other dudes who say they wouldn't have sex with anyone reasonably physically attractive, which is itself a very flexible metric. I know I'm not alone by any means, since this is the origin of like 90% of all jokes ever written. I believe that there are guys that believe they wouldn't...until the moment arrives.
On that same note, I'm sure there are guys who think they would, until the moment arrives.

fade

Staff member
*shows up naked*

*with a margarita in hand*

Wait.

What do you mean "hypothetical"?[DOUBLEPOST=1454463158,1454463037][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh right.

*produces $20 from somewhere*

*shows up naked*

*with a margarita in hand*

Wait.

What do you mean "hypothetical"?[DOUBLEPOST=1454463158,1454463037][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh right.

*produces $20 from somewhere*
But but... you were naked... WHERE DID THAT $20 COME FROM?!

You know, I've actually always wondered if I have an unusually low sex drive, because it's never really been that important to me. Though, there's probably mental and physiological factors at work, as well.

Someone unmask this flasher!

But I'll just quote Bubble:

I dunno, I've turned down 100% certain sex in the past, even while single and horny as all fuck.

It isn't that I'm NOT a horny male, that's a given. But I could never just have random sex with someone I didn't know well enough. Pretty faces are everywhere, but matching souls are hard to find. And I need to be attracted to both before I'm willing to trust my all to them. Call me weird.

GasBandit

Staff member
It isn't that I'm NOT a horny male, that's a given. But I could never just have random sex with someone I didn't know well enough. Pretty faces are everywhere, but matching souls are hard to find. And I need to be attracted to both before I'm willing to trust my all to them. Call me weird.
Remember, this is with halforumites.

I worry enough signing up for the goddamn secret Santa that I might get someone I don't know.

So why then, would I assume i could handle the risk of putting my dick in the ol' mystery box and not have a panic attack

fade

Staff member
Uh huh. Well ladies. Looks like it's just me. I'm also okay with this. *sips margarita*[DOUBLEPOST=1454473132,1454473102][/DOUBLEPOST]*slaps down another $20*