BananaHands' Great West Coast Journey!

BananaHands

Staff member
Hello friends!

I'm moving to Los Angeles and am doing the big drive out west! So, I put a week aside to make my drive out there a fun road trip on July 25th.

So hey! While I plan this out, I'd definitely like to see anyone who is 'in-between' Chicago and Los Angeles and have a beer with you! I have a week to kill so my route can take me as far north as Seattle (I'd love to end my trip driving down the coast) or as far south as Tuscon (maybe stop in Las Vegas on the way?).

So let me know who is where and what I should see!

I would feel bad making you go out of your way, but I'm in Utah and would love to meet up with you if possible! :D

I would probably only be able to go as far south as Provo, but if you could do Provo or Salt Lake, let me know! If that's to far out of the way, no worries, I shall wave at you as you go by. :)

Dave

Staff member
Couch surf with me in Omaha! I'm right off the interstate and you'd be more than welcome!

I would feel bad making you go out of your way, but I'm in Utah and would love to meet up with you if possible! :D

I would probably only be able to go as far south as Provo, but if you could do Provo or Salt Lake, let me know! If that's to far out of the way, no worries, I shall wave at you as you go by. :)
Well, I'm no BananaHands, but I'm actually in SLC right now. I was gonna check out City Creek tonight if you wanna hang out.

Well, I'm no BananaHands, but I'm actually in SLC right now. I was gonna check out City Creek tonight if you wanna hang out.
Hey, that's awesome! I hope you have fun!

I'll try and swing it so I can come down - I'm a little ways north up in Logan. I'll let you know if I can! :D

Hey, that's awesome! I hope you have fun!
No worries. Although if you have any recommendations for a short trip into the mountains (I have a couple hours on Sat) it'd be appreciated :)

Also BananaHands, I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks if you wanna grab a beer.

No worries. Although if you have any recommendations for a short trip into the mountains (I have a couple hours on Sat) it'd be appreciated :)
Do you want hiking or just a drive? If you want a hike Ensign Peak is probably your best bet. It's an easy hike, only 1 mile. And it's a little historical if that's your fancy - the first settlers of Salt Lake decided to settle the area from that mountain top. There's a plaque there and everything. :) So official. It also has great views of the whole valley. GO, HIKE! Take pic's and pretend I'm with you. (I'll just be on the other side of the mountains. ;) )

BananaHands

Staff member
Okay, looks like I'm going the more southern route that will take me through Omaha, Denver and Las Vegas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couch surf with me in Omaha! I'm right off the interstate and you'd be more than welcome!
Dave's just saying that because all his kids are moved out now. Careful, he might try to adopt you.

How do you feel about wearing diapers again, Bananahands?

BananaHands

Staff member
Okay here's the trip!
Chicago, IL -> Omaha, NE -> Denver, CO -> Richfield, UT -> Los Angeles, CA

I've set the trip up so I'll only be driving 6-8 hours between destinations - so if you're anywhere between and want to grab a beer with me and a friend let me know! I'm already hangin' in Omaha with SUPREME HAL-OVERLORD so let's make this fun.

Wait why did Dave 's name change like that? Weird...

It didn't change it the second time. Even weirder! Also, UT -> LA sends you just out of reach of me. Sounds like an excellent trip, though.

I avoid Denver like the plague, but I love the aquarium and the zoo, and if you want to go full tourist, you should go to Casa Bonita. :p

fade

Staff member
Man, all I know is all these mountain pictures you keep posting on Tumblr make me want to go on a roadtrip.

If you like driving along winding mountain roads, go up to Echo Lake. You can also get out and hike around.

There's also Red Rocks.

Dave

Staff member
Well, the Dave/@Bananahands portion of the trip is over. It was kind of a comedy of errors.

Here was the plan: We would go to the historic Old Market in Omaha, browse through some of the cool shops down there, catch a bite to eat at one of the many fine dining establishments, and then maybe retire to a pub for some drinks. Then we'd go to one of the two big parks in the area and take some pictures for my friend Mark's book cover that he wanted.

What went down: We went down to the historic Old Market. Heat index was 100+ F (30 C) so walking around was harsh. We decided to go to a place called Wheatfields because they had good vegan options. Friday night at 7 in the busiest place in the city...and they were closed. So we walked 3 blocks to this Asian food place I'd read about. Closed. So we walked 3 blocks back to this other place we knew was open. 1 hour wait. Instead we went to another eating establishment and had good food, but by then we were worn out and hotter than hell. When we finished eating we went into one store called the Imaginarium that is like a huge antique/junk store, then went to a park to take pictures...then we came back home. We talked for a bit and everyone went to bed.

This morning I got up early, grabbed some Dunkin Donuts, we ate breakfast, took a couple pictures, and off they went. So while not a really exciting visit, it was a good one. I'll be posting pictures here soonish. I have to get them from my wife's phone first.

Next stop for Mr. Hands is Denver, and then on to sunny Utah!

BananaHands

Staff member
Well, the Dave/@Bananahands portion of the trip is over. It was kind of a comedy of errors.

Here was the plan: We would go to the historic Old Market in Omaha, browse through some of the cool shops down there, catch a bite to eat at one of the many fine dining establishments, and then maybe retire to a pub for some drinks. Then we'd go to one of the two big parks in the area and take some pictures for my friend Mark's book cover that he wanted.

What went down: We went down to the historic Old Market. Heat index was 100+ F (30 C) so walking around was harsh. We decided to go to a place called Wheatfields because they had good vegan options. Friday night at 7 in the busiest place in the city...and they were closed. So we walked 3 blocks to this Asian food place I'd read about. Closed. So we walked 3 blocks back to this other place we knew was open. 1 hour wait. Instead we went to another eating establishment and had good food, but by then we were worn out and hotter than hell. When we finished eating we went into one store called the Imaginarium that is like a huge antique/junk store, then went to a park to take pictures...then we came back home. We talked for a bit and everyone went to bed.

This morning I got up early, grabbed some Dunkin Donuts, we ate breakfast, took a couple pictures, and off they went. So while not a really exciting visit, it was a good one. I'll be posting pictures here soonish. I have to get them from my wife's phone first.

Next stop for Mr. Hands is Denver, and then on to sunny Utah!
We had a blast! All the closed places gave us a perfect excuse to explore the area and you two were amazing hosts. I just wish we had more energy to hit some of the bars!

And now I've got a whole slew of information from chatting with you and your wife to use as blackmail when needed! >:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk