Best meal replacement shakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been using Muscle Milk in the am to get my day going since I don't always have time to eat food before I leave the house. I partner it with a peanut butter Cliff Bar and that keeps me from wanting to eat donuts and baked goods for the first few hours and then I usually grab an early lunch.

It's good overall, but I'm trying to figure out if it's the best option. I'm trying to keep losing weight (I've lost 15-20lbs in the last year but I seem to have hit a wall.

I've kind of hit my limit for changes in other areas of my life (I exercise a few times a week, I really can't fit anymore than that in between 2 jobs and a family) so I'm looking for other options. Someone suggested using meal replacement drinks for breakfast and lunch but I've found muscle milk, while it has a decent amount of calories and protein it's not quite enough to keep me full.

Has anyone tried any other brands of shakes that seem to work better or does anyone have any other ideas? I spend a lot of time running around in my car during the average work day so it's far to easy to grab some fast food, but I've limited myself just to 2 Taco Bell bean burrito (which is surprisingly filling and cheap).

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. I've thought about going to a doc to see if they have any ideas but given my insurance only gives me a few visits a year I don't want to waste one.

While it doesn't have as much protein as some shakes out there I rather enjoy Syntha-6. It contains 6 unique sources of protein and it comes in a variety of flavors that taste (in my opinion) delicious and it also mixes fairly well. I usually get the chocolate milkshake and mix it with water and for that it is 200 calories with 22g of protein.

I always used to mix chocolate protein powder, oatmeal, and bananas together for breakfast. That filled me up pretty good for breakfast, and is pretty easy to make.
Also, instead of trying to make yourself full from meals just bring snacks with you. You're going to be better off eating smaller meals with healthy snacks in between than by trying to eat enough to be full from meal to meal.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had good results with nutrimed 420, but you have to get it from a doctor and it requires frequent blood work to make sure you're not digesting your own internal organs.

I had good results with nutrimed 420, but you have to get it from a doctor and it requires frequent blood work to make sure you're not digesting your own internal organs.
Well that doesn't sound terrifying.

On a more serious note GasBandit how likely is it to actually digest your own internals? What I mean is, that sounds terrifying. Also, I googled it but didn't come up anything that really gave me much useful info. The main site seemed to be about becoming a provider?

GasBandit

Staff member
Well that doesn't sound terrifying.

On a more serious note GasBandit how likely is it to actually digest your own internals? What I mean is, that sounds terrifying. Also, I googled it but didn't come up anything that really gave me much useful info. The main site seemed to be about becoming a provider?
From what I gathered, not very likely, and so long as you went to the lab every 2 weeks to let them take blood, they'd catch any problems well before damage was done. Nobody at my clinic had any problems I'd heard about.

Bear in mind that nutrimed is a doctor-supervised fast weight loss regimen - for the first 3 months you are on it, you are not supposed to eat anything else at all. Just 5 shakes a day. They come in various flavors but to me only the chocolate flavor was palatable. After a few months you switch to 3 shakes and one meal a day, and from there it's all willpower in sticking to a new lifestyle of diet and excercise. Those 3 months are both really good and really bad though. Let's just say, if you want to succeed, empty your house of food and don't allow yourself to be in the same place where others are cooking or eating, or you will turn into a ravenous unreasoning eatbeast.

Macho posturing aside, it was very effective while I was on it, and compared to other schemes like fen-phen, it was safe as houses.

Coffee.

Ok other than coffee... I used to get Spiru-tein when I was in CA. It can be gritty, but I liked it as a lunch replacement or sometimes for a snack when I was still nursing my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.