[Brazelton] Beverly Cleary

When I first entered 2nd grade, we were taken to the library for the first time.

The library was segregated into books by grade level, and all of the books at my grade level were of the "Dick and Jane" and "See Spot Run" variety. I'd been reading since I was four years old, so I complained to the teacher that the books I was allowed to check out were far below my reading level.

"Pick out an older kid's book, and write a book report on it tonight. If I feel you understand the book, I'll write you a special pass."

So I marched over to the 5th grade section, pulled a book at random, and took home Beverly Cleary's "The Mouse and the Motorcycle." I didn't know what a book report was, exactly, so I just wrote a page explaining the story, the mouse, his magic power to ride a toy motorcycle, and his relationship with his owner. I guess it passed muster, because by the end of the next day, the all-access library pass was mine.

I didn't know she was still alive, but I'm saddened at her passing.

I loved the Ramona series as a kid. I didn't realize she was still alive, either, but 104, wow! I'm sad but also really impressed.

I'm pretty sure I've read M&M, but I may be conflating it with Stuart Little or Ben & Me. I guess mice figured prominently in my development.
I also did not realize that she was still alive. Haven't really read any of her other books.
pulled a book at random, and took home Beverly Cleary's "The Mouse and the Motorcycle."
For me it was Zylpha Keatley Snyder's Black and Blue Magic.

--Patrick