[Announcement] Board Updates

Dave

Staff member
Within the next week I have a few things I need to do with the boards that may or may not take it down.

First, the SSL needs to be updated. I'm going to do that tomorrow. Since they aren't expiring they SHOULD have minimal impact. But who the fuck knows? Every time they tell me no impact shit goes south. Cross your fingers.

Second, we are at the end of our server space and we're going to have to move up. This is virtual space so MAYBE we don't have to worry? Who knows? In any event I have a ticket in to DISCUSS changes. Last time I did that the host just went *yoink* and did it without asking. I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time but if the board goes down unexpectedly, please let me know on Twitter or Discord. Preferably both since I don't Discord much during the day but get Twitter alerts.

I have also been looking at upgrading the software, but would need to renew the license and right now I'm being very conscious about money so I'm waiting.

As to that, depending on how my job search goes, October and going forth I might need a little help. If I start getting paychecks before then I'll let you know, but right now I haven't even gotten a nibble from any perspective jobs. So if by September 1 I don't have anything, I'm going to look to you all to help keep the lights on a bit. It's not much - less that $30 a month with the new server - but it'll be hard for me to justify to the wife, you know...

I'm on vacation end of August, beginning of September, but keep me up to date. This place is worth a monthly bit.

Dave

Staff member
  • I'm good for now, folks, but thanks to all of you who sent messages.
  • The main reason I haven't updated is I have no idea what it would do to our addons. Haven't even looked into that so it would take some studying.
Thanks, folks. Just wanted you to know what was going on just in case.

Been telling you we'd be willing to help out for years now, of COURSE we will.
Hell if I thought our local Internet was stable enough, I would've volunteered (or built!) a quality box for it already.

--Patrick

As I've said before - compared to the hours spent here, I could easily throw €50 a year this way and consider it my best entertainment money spent, timewise. Very few games offer me hundreds of hours of actually valuable time.

I don’t want to speak for others but I would be willing to pay $30 one month of the year and I would bet there are 11 other people here who would do the same.
I would, and happily.

I've just always wished we could get more people on the board. I've tried inviting or recruiting friends, but most folks are happy enough with social media these days.

Dave

Staff member
The only way to finish is to get the email. Been an hour and still no email sent.

Dave

Staff member
Okay I think I got it. Same thing happened last time. I have to START with the email but then switch to HTML to download a text file, then upload that file in the cPanel. Then it works. Yay me!

But the SSL should be completed. Now on to the server.

Shouldn't have to - you should be able to have the new one get set as the primary before it expires.... But then again, I don't know that specific setup - I've only worked on SSL certs in IIS..

GasBandit

Staff member
The old cert is still "in effect" but as it expires 8/7, and it's now past midnight GMT... I bet that's making something stupid happen.

I don't think I have the access to fix this, we'll have to wait until Dave gets back from his gig.