[News] Bombings, Mass Attacks, Terrorism, etc - Catch all thread

There's a number of threads out there, one per attack. Here's a thread we can keep them all in together, much like the Mass Shootings (that aren't terrorist-related, presumably) thread. Here's the thread for any attacks that are THOUGHT to be terrorism at the time they happened.

Starting it off, London, September 15, 2017: Bomb blast on London subway injures 29, treated as ‘terrorist incident’

Apparently lots of injuries, but no reported deaths yet, which will no doubt be the exception for this thread, but still, I'd say it qualifies under most other criteria. Bombs are just about always (though not 100% I'll concede, Unibomber for instance, though that was still political as opposed to something else) terrorism, and thus this thread.

Update on this: Yahyah Farroukh: First pictures of Parsons Green attack suspect as two men questioned over Tube bombing
An 18-year-old man was arrested on Saturday morning in Dover, where he was reportedly attempting to buy a ferry ticket to Calais, and a 21-year-old suspect was later detained in Hounslow. The second suspect has been identified locally as Yahyah Farroukh, whose Facebook page says he comes from the Syrian capital of Damascus. He and the teenager, who has not yet been identified, are believed to have been taken in at different times by a British couple known for their dedication to fostering.

Penelope and Ronald Jones, aged 71 and 88 respectively, were made MBEs for services to children and families in 2009 and have fostered hundreds of children.

Isis claimed responsibility for the attempted massacre, which it claimed was carried out by “soldiers of the caliphate”. Less than two hours before the explosion, a young man was caught on CCTV leaving the Jones’ home carrying a Lidl bag similar to that containing the device.

Ian Harvey, a local politician, said he understood an 18-year-old Iraqi orphan was living with Mr and Mrs Jones, having moved to Britain aged 15 after his parents died.

Farroukh is believed to have come from near Damascus, fleeing Syria via Egypt and arriving in Europe in late 2013, and is thought to have a cousin who lives in Scotland with his children. He and the 18-year-old remain in custody as they are questioned on suspicion of terror offences.
I pulled out what I thought was the most important information about the suspects.

Also, stupid trend in news articles these days for one paragraph per sentence, even when things are tightly related. Makes it a horror show to quote and also to read.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Most of the "free" ones are the format that you quoted. Many of the "pay" ones are USUALLY better. Hardly universally, but it DOES happen.
No. I mean a newspaper. Like, a real paper and ink newspaper.

I can't recall a time when they didn't use mostly 1 sentence paragraph; and when they aren't 1 sentence, they're rarely more than 2 sentences long.

No. I mean a newspaper. Like, a real paper and ink newspaper.

I can't recall a time when they didn't use mostly 1 sentence paragraph; and when they aren't 1 sentence, they're rarely more than 2 sentences long.
That's what I meant. National Post, Globe, etc, are pay paper-and-ink newspapers. And then there's the "urban-type" papers that are usually free. I was responding to what you were saying.

CNN: Truck in Manhattan plows into cyclists; up to 6 dead, police sources say

The driver of a truck drove the wrong way down the West Side Highway bike path for several blocks on the lower west side of Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon, striking people and leaving up to six people dead, according to two senior law enforcement sources at the New York Police Department.

The driver exited the vehicle displaying imitation firearms and was shot by police, according to the NYPD. The individual is in police custody and is being taken to the hospital for treatment, sources at the NYPD said, adding that police are considering terrorism as part of the investigation.

There were several fatalities and numerous people injured, NYPD said in a tweet. Two senior law enforcement sources added that it appears to be deliberate act.
Situation very hazy, I'm sure some/all of this is wrong.

Scary part is, he did it mostly in front of Stuyvesant High. As school was letting out. A friend of mine teaches there, but she seems to be okay, thank God.

Death toll updated to 8, with 13 (last I saw) injured, most seriously.

Decent article about what's known (not a lot) about the suspect himself: http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/what-we-know-about-nyc-attack-suspect-sayfullo-saipov-1.3658269

Short version:
  • Aged 29, From Uzbekistan, came legally to the USA in 2010
  • Florida drivers license, but addresses in Ohio, Florida, and some time spent in New Jersey.
  • Worked for Uber for 6 months, but wasn't currently
  • Evidence of a marriage license in 2013, but no word on where wife is.

Found a note "referencing" ISIS.
I mean, for all we know, the note could say "I hate ISIS don't let anyone think I did this to support ISIS I'm just a crazy bastard" and the media could still technically say it "referenced ISIS."

--Patrick

He then exited the vehicle brandishing what turned out to be a paint-ball gun and a pellet gun before a police officer shot him in the abdomen.
I feel like not every part of this plan was thought-out.

(Unless he was assuming he'd go out in a "blaze of glory" rather thsn be taken alive, but wrong on both coubts, asshole.)

Dave

Staff member
Muslim = terrorist: TRAVEL BAN!!
Mexican or Hispanic: GANG MEMBER! DRUG RUNNER! BUILD THE WALL!
Black: CHICAGO CRIME! BLM MEMBER! GANG MEMBER! THUG!
White: Lone wolf. Mental problems. Let's not jump to conclusions or politicize this. This is not the time to discuss guns.

GasBandit

Staff member
Muslim = terrorist: TRAVEL BAN!!
Mexican or Hispanic: GANG MEMBER! DRUG RUNNER! BUILD THE WALL!
Black: CHICAGO CRIME! BLM MEMBER! GANG MEMBER! THUG!
White: Lone wolf. Mental problems. Let's not jump to conclusions or politicize this. This is not the time to discuss guns.
Well, neither were the other three.

Plus if a Muslim guy goes into a mosque and blows himself up, well, that's just a thing that happened way over in Brownland.

--Patrick

Does anybody know what happened in London?

Police were responding to a "customer incident" and closed up Oxford Circus including Bond St Tube station, advising people to stay in buildings and avoid the area.

The official channels and the BBC only calling it "the incident" so it can be anything.

There has been a suspected ISIS terrorist attack on a mosque in the Sinai, leaving 305 people dead.

This may be a bit unusual for the region. There has been a long history of terrorist groups targeting the government, but few attacks where they have targeted the general muslim population. Though with the upsurge of jihadist thinking in Egyt, plus the situation of the bedouins in the north of Sinai, I suppose you get fertile ground for the spread of radical thought.

Dave

Staff member
This happened a couple of days ago and a few of my Muslim friends on Facebook are rightly wondering where all the support is. For example, no Egyptian flag pictures, nobody is changing their avatar, the Eiffel Tower did not put up the Egyptian colors, etc.

Happened on Friday if I recall, but I've seen surprisingly little on the webs about it. 300+ people dead is rather a lot for a single attack.

Of course, last Friday had the Black Friday sales. Might explain a bit.

I was surprised I didn't see something in this thread on that day. Reddit was all afire about it (if you could find it between the Net Neutrality posts).

--Patrick

Happened on Friday if I recall, but I've seen surprisingly little on the webs about it. 300+ people dead is rather a lot for a single attack.

Of course, last Friday had the Black Friday sales. Might explain a bit.
Aye, it happened on the same day as the London incident. It was overshadowed by a false alarm - not really. I've seen plenty of coverage on the news and in the papers.

Well, I saw the articles in the major news outlets that I follow, though I know of coverage of it back home. Still, saw less attention devoted to it over the days than I would have expected. At least that is my impression, YMMV.

Of course, if the interest shown by the public is, by and large, too little to warrant meaningful resources dedicated to continuing coverage of the story, the media would soon put the affair on the back burner and move on to covering other things.

This happened a couple of days ago and a few of my Muslim friends on Facebook are rightly wondering where all the support is. For example, no Egyptian flag pictures, nobody is changing their avatar, the Eiffel Tower did not put up the Egyptian colors, etc.
Hey, like I already said:
Plus if a Muslim guy goes into a mosque and blows himself up, well, that's just a thing that happened way over in Brownland.
—Patrick

It's a sad thing, perhaps, but attacks in the Middle East and Central Asia will get less coverage for a good long while to come - there are just too many.
There have been over a dozen attacks with 200+ dead in the last few months. But, for "the people", that's in a galaxy far, far away.

Well for that to be true, people would also have to get up in arms whenever a lily white person gets killed in ... hhhheeeeyyyyyyyyyyy...

—Patrick

It's a sad thing, perhaps, but attacks in the Middle East and Central Asia will get less coverage for a good long while to come - there are just too many.

There have been over a dozen attacks with 200+ dead in the last few months. But, for "the people", that's in a galaxy far, far away.
Assuming we are still talking about individual incidents of islamic terror, could you cite a few of those 200+ dead attacks? I do not seem to be able to find all that many. I'm using Wikipedia and the anti-islamic terror Religion of Peace as sources.

A few mass graves have been discovered in areas liberated from ISIS rule, but, though I haven't delved too much into those stories, most of the graves containing hundreds of bodies seem to be the result of the sites being used for executions over a period of time, instead of single incidents.

GasBandit

Staff member
Assuming we are still talking about individual incidents of islamic terror, could you cite a few of those 200+ dead attacks? I do not seem to be able to find all that many. I'm using Wikipedia and the anti-islamic terror Religion of Peace as sources.

A few mass graves have been discovered in areas liberated from ISIS rule, but, though I haven't delved too much into those stories, most of the graves containing hundreds of bodies seem to be the result of the sites being used for executions over a period of time, instead of single incidents.
I think he meant there have been over a dozen attacks, totalling more than 200 dead.

That is pretty much business as normal. But 300+ dead in a single attack?

Well, I guess an incident needs something special to attract the interest of the world. Kidnapping women and girls to take as wives is commonplace in the peripheries of Nigeria, and has been for centuries. And then the world goes apeshit over a couple of hundred schoolgirls from Chibok, when pretty much the only unusual element in that is the number of girls taken at one time.

But I suppose the idea of teenage girls forcibly taken from their school and forced to become wives for their captors better strikes a nerve in the western mindset than a bunch of muslims getting massacred in a mosque.

No, I meant incidents with such numbers. I haven't kept a tally, neot am I in a place to research now, but off the top of my head, I recall at least one car bombing in Baghdad and an attack on a market in Aleppo, both having over 200 victims.