Books every geek should read to their kid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read most of the those books well before I hit adulthood. My story of Wrinkle in Time is much like the article writer's. We took turns in Grade 6 reading that one out loud.

And I wouldn't call that every book a geek should read but really, kids should just be reading. Read a book.

M

makare

I am not sure if it is geeky or what I am not sure what that means in this context but for kids I'd add the Strega Nona series. I always loved it as a kid.

I've read a lot of the books on that page. Some I totally recommend like the little house on the prairie or Tikki Tikki Tembo. Some I would unread if I could like a Wrinkle in Time.

Books are pretty personal. Can't say I understand that merits of subjecting a kid to the entirety of the lord of the rings before the age of ten but to each his own. Reading with kids is always a good thing in my book.

edit- ok it is just bad luck that I posted not liking a Wrinkle in Time at pretty much the same second as someone picked that one specifically to like.

Nah, you don't start with Lord of the Rings. I read the Hobbit to my daughter when she was 6. She is now twelve and has read the trilogy on her own as well as re-reading the Hobbit.

I loved the spines off 'The House with a Clock in its Walls' series when I was younger! Now I have to go find them.

I would also argue for the Hobbit before the rest of the Rings series. And certainly before the Silmarillion!

I was also a fan of Diane Duane's 'So You Want to Be a Wizard' series.
Oh, and 'The Secret World of Og' was cool, because, well, Pierre Burton and some really kick-ass illustrations.

fade

Staff member
HAH! Awesome! They got Danny Dunn. I frickin' loved that series when I was a kid, even if it was already horribly out of date by the 80s.

fade

Staff member
I don't see anything on this list that is inappropriate for a 10 year old. 10 is pretty old. I have an 8 year old who will turn 9 in August, and I see nothing here I wouldn't let him read. In fact, I let him read YA books if they pass my screening.

M

makare

I like the Giver up until the end. I hate it when books don't actually have an ending. I really didn't care for Gathering Blue for that reason. I read an article interviewing the author and she said something like I wrote it that way so you can choose for yourself how the story ends.

Yeah right you are just too lazy to come up with an ending. I am perfectly capable of writing my own stories with my own endings. I don't want to have to come up with endings for other peoples goddamn books.

I like the Giver up until the end. I hate it when books don't actually have an ending. I really didn't care for Gathering Blue for that reason. I read an article interviewing the author and she said something like I wrote it that way so you can choose for yourself how the story ends.

Yeah right you are just too lazy to come up with an ending. I am perfectly capable of writing my own stories with my own endings. I don't want to have to come up with endings for other peoples goddamn books.
I'm disagreeing because I find nothing lazy about The Giver. I would find it more insulting if she went for the out and out happy ending after over coming all the adversity...and crushing if they died. This way I can guess, I can supply it formyself how I would end it.

I can see how that would frustrate someone, though.

M

makare

I'm disagreeing because I find nothing lazy about The Giver. I would find it more insulting if she went for the out and out happy ending after over coming all the adversity...and crushing if they died. This way I can guess, I can supply it formyself how I would end it.

I can see how that would frustrate someone, though.
If the boy is supposed to be the guy from the second and third books, why not finish the story with him getting to where he gets to in the second book? At least it would be an ending.

M

makare

the other books are really good. However, Gathering Blue is a really unhappy story and the ending is again not a real ending. I still love the Giver but the fact that she didn't give any closure to gathering blue made me so made I actually threw the book across the room.

The ending to the Giver was perfect. Shut your mouth and go home.

M

makare

I read HHGTG when I was about 10. I loved it. Not sure I'd recommend it to all kids that age though. It's kind of an individual thing.

M

makare

I love that story. I didn't really get into it until I was in my 20s but it is a good one.

I also loved the Wayside school series. Just the sheer goofiness of it was great.

M

makare

Oh hey this is probably a good thread to see if any of you remember a certain book I can never remember the title of. It is like a novel/comic book and it is about this boy who likes to draw and his annoying family. He has trouble drawing hands. His sister throws fits and always gets her way.

I can't remember the name of it!

I also recommend Andrew Henry's Meadow.. i tried to link it from amazon but it wont let me.

I just remembered something about The Giver.

Did anyone else have to read it in junior high or high school? I think I had to read it for grade 10 english. The project we had to do based on it was either supply and ending or write a story about what happened when they left the city.

I chose the former and wrote about Fiona (?) leaving the city in search of the main character. I think I may need to read the book again to remember my own story.

It was the first fan fic I ever wrote. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.