Brain Storming/Writing Prompts

Anyone up for a brain storming session? Maybe something where we can discuss ideas we've had and work through problems we're having?

Or maybe you have an idea but you'd like to see how someone else would approach it through a little drabble?

Oooooo. What a great reddit!

I chooooooose...[WP] You're driving in a foreign country at night, and see a young man crying at the side of the road. You stop to talk to him.

You have your challenge!

I also saw this one and could not resist.

[WP] In a nocturnal society, being out after sunrise means trouble, and you're about to find out why.

"We're not going to make it," the rain had stopped hours ago but Commanders voice still trembled as if afflicted by the cold it had brought with it. He had been working for hours, they all had. The rain had long dried from their clothing, replaced by the sweat of their labours. Strong, exhausted men and women looked from their work in building back up the ceiling cover, to the steely eyed man that had been barking orders and urging them on wards, to the sky that intruded on them above.

It was no longer inky black and dripping precipitation. It was becoming grey, violet around it edges....

There was a wave of panic. Some began to work faster in the face of that sight, despite the fact that were weren't even half way finished and sometimes the slightest bit of progress would tumble down around them because of how bogged down with wet it was.

Others began to back away...maybe they could clear the tunnels back to the main city or pack into some shady space until night had come again! Yet there was so many of them...the elderly and the children...the weak and infirm!

Arguments broke out as they scattered like cockroaches for those over hangs, people being knocked back into the space between the lightening patch above them.

The Commander regained control of his voice, putting its hard edge back in place. "LISTEN. Gather whatever cloaks we can! Gloves and goggles as well! I need able bodied volunteers to work during the Light! Children and the elderly are to get back into the out croppings and keep their eyes ad bodies in shadow!"

Some protested but most obeyed. At least SOMEBODY had taken charge!

Cloaks and gear were gathered...in the end only enough for twenty. Twenty people to attempt to close the gap during the light.

They could fit only fifty in the shade, tightly packed like canned sardines.

The despair then was understandable. They were one hundred, after all, not counting the children. With children they were one hundred and ten. Sent out to build an expansion for their growing population...no one from the main city would even know of their dire straits for hours if not for days.

The Commander made his heart into stone, his mind ice. "We will have a draw. No children may enter it...everyone else must. First the twenty volunteers."

Near all who were able entered that draw, figuring hard dangerous labour with protective clothing better than potentially being left ot the open rays.

The sky was brighter over head but not yet fully lit by the sun.

Twenty volunteers were chosen, families were kissed and they were sent to suit up.

Another draw for the forty spots, the children having already earned their place. The Commander watched with all with an eagle eyed gaze. Watched as people sobbed in relief in hearing their names. Watched when, at the end, people began to trade their lots...so that Mrs. Henry could stay with her toddler while Mr. Son took her place in the Open. Then others cursed and spit and had to be put down with fist and tied with ropes.

He had left no spot for himself amongst the volunteers or covered.

Work began. It was quiet except for relayed information or instructions and the sound of their steady construction.

The sky above was blue..then golden rays crept in like fingers.

There was gasping and sobbing...those in the open were backing away, trying to prolong their time. The Commander was one of them. Fear was winning.

Mr. Son was first. He sat cross legged on the ground, trying to breathe deeply. His expression serene, eyes closed. He never saw the light slink to the corner of his pinky finger.

There was that crackling noise, they graying of his skin...and he was as immovable as the walls around them. A statue wearing clothing.

People wailed and panicked, their hearts failing at the fight but he kept his nerve. Pushing them back from those who had drawn Cover. Throwing them out and pushing those in Cover back wards more tightly.

More statues...more panic.

Soon there was only him and a few others left. The shade had increased, the workers spurred by the drama below them. His sight was dimming from staring at the sun for too long.

Night came. It was he and one other who had huddled in on himself that remained of those in the open.

He had made it. His sight was gone, eyes dry as stone. Perhaps they were. He feared to ask. There was no cheer for night. No rejoicing. Only a switching of volunteers and some embracing those crumbling statues.

They had lived but this...this would stay with them forever.

Eeeeeeeeeeeh...crappy work but what the hell.

Dave

Staff member
I've submitted several things there. It's gotten a lot harder since it became a default reddit.[DOUBLEPOST=1401196757,1401196555][/DOUBLEPOST]My most popular one was put on /r/bestof.

[WP] A blind man suddenly/inexplicably regains his vision, describe the first thing he sees

The first time I went skydiving the press was present. Apparently I was being heralded as some sort of inspiration. It's bullshit, but that doesn't stand in the way of a good story, right? It was a tandem jump with the instructor treating me as if I were made of some sort of porcelain or a child to be placated. I half expected him to offer me a sucker when we finished.

It was largely anti-climactic. I really did nothing but fall, the wind roaring in my ears as I plummeted towards an earth I could not see. The instructor yelled something that was snatched away in the gale, and the chute opened with a crack that jarred me to the bone. The rest was actually boring until we landed. Of course, the press was there again, asking me how it felt. I played along because really what else could I do? Then they left and I stood alone for a time with my silence.

None of them understand. To them I'm this broken thing that needs to be coddled and led around like a favorite pet on a leash. Not a man. Never a man.

I went back the next day and insisted that I be allowed to jump on my own. They resisted, but eventually they gave way. I had to sign a waver, of course. They didn't want to be the ones responsible for allowing the blind hero to die. We got me one of those helmets with a microphone and headset, and an altimeter that would tell me when to pull the cord.

It was glorious. The wind still whipped around me, but this time I was free of the tether which had strapped me like an infant to the instructor. It was freedom, complete and total. I pulled the cord and rode the wind back down, the instructions of those with me ensuring that I landed in the clear.

My seventh jump was as routine as routine gets. I packed my chute, checking and double-checking all buckles and straps, joking with the other jumpers about this and that. Routine.

My breath caught as I stood in the door, as it always does. I heard the cry of "GO!" and fell into oblivion. At 3,500 feet my altimeter beeped and I just kept falling. Earlier I had written a long message to my family, explaining what I had planned. To die free, unfettered by handicap and on my terms. I was sorry, but this was my choice.
At 2,000 feet the sounds of screaming in my headset intensified, the other jumpers thinking that somehow this was a mistake. I felt bad that they would have to witness this. I quite liked many of them. I took off my helmet and let it go.

At 1,000 feet my altimeter chirped a warning and I began to brace myself for the impact. And then it happened. A flash of light. A searing pain that went from my eyes all the way to my toes, and I could see!

The world stretched out before me, the greens achingly bright, the blue of a lake reflected rainbows of color that I had not been able to see since I had the accident twenty years before. The why never entered my mind, I simply drank it all in; the beauty of it threatened to overwhelm me.

And then the absurdity hit me. Here, when it was too late to relent, my sight had returned. At the very end of my life, that which I'd thought I was missing for so long had been given back to me. Was it a gift in my last moments? Was it God's punishment for my suicide? I couldn't tell you.

But I was laughing hard I was crying, my vision blurred so much I didn't even see when I hit the ground.

Cajungal

Staff member
Man I used to have this really fun set of cards that was composed of different writing prompts. Wish I could find it!

I only recently started getting involved in /r/writingprompts. Yesterday one of my stories mysteriously exploded and got 400+ karma, no idea why. All my other submissions tend to get 10 karma or fewer.

Felt good though.