Building out the house--Ikea has a neat tool

So, I love living in the future. Ikea has a tool that lets you lay out a room, pretty much exactly as it exists in real life:
1660146839588.png

That's a perfect representation of the back room of the new house. You can adjust the size and location of everything. Then, you can proceed to fill it up with stuff. Ikea stuff, for sure, but it's still great for planning.

I'm finding none of these rooms are really conducive to a craft room. Having lots of wall space would be nice, because I can line them with shelves and/or work tables (sewing machines, Cricut, etc). But all of the rooms have a window on one wall, closets on another, and since all the doors open to the interior of the room, you have to account for that clearance. All that said, this is my first stab at a craft room.

1660146915606.png

I love that I can totally rotate the rooms around, make sure everything has power, open and close doors to check clearance, etc. And, if I choose to buy the Ikea stuff, it'll print me a shopping list (which is why they make the tool available for free, after all)

So, I love living in the future. Ikea has a tool that lets you lay out a room, pretty much exactly as it exists in real life:
View attachment 42204
That's a perfect representation of the back room of the new house. You can adjust the size and location of everything. Then, you can proceed to fill it up with stuff. Ikea stuff, for sure, but it's still great for planning.

I'm finding none of these rooms are really conducive to a craft room. Having lots of wall space would be nice, because I can line them with shelves and/or work tables (sewing machines, Cricut, etc). But all of the rooms have a window on one wall, closets on another, and since all the doors open to the interior of the room, you have to account for that clearance. All that said, this is my first stab at a craft room.

View attachment 42205
Just wait until you order the furniture, only to discover you actually just bought an nft of it, so that it can exist in your new digital room.

And you'll still have to assemble it yourself

So, this tool has been driving me nuts (yar!). I've added a few more items, so that I have 3 flat surfaces to work on for sewing, Cricut, whatever. But there's this "phantom" set of pendaflex files on my shopping list, and I'm like "I never put that in my room!"

I finally *just* figured out that they were inside the desk with the built-in filing cabinet. :facepalm:

That type of wallpaper is "coming back", apparently, we just re-did our apartment and those types of "grandma" wallpapers were among the most popular ones.

I think millennials are taking that whole childhood nostalgia thing to the extreme and it's getting into their decorations. I know I have some grandpa-inspired items in my living room.

That type of wallpaper is "coming back", apparently, we just re-did our apartment and those types of "grandma" wallpapers were among the most popular ones.

I think millennials are taking that whole childhood nostalgia thing to the extreme and it's getting into their decorations. I know I have some grandpa-inspired items in my living room.
Some folks on r/cthulhu also appreciate the wallpaper--they think it matches the Lovecraft era vibe. Since it's WAY down on my to do list, I imagine by the time I have the money and time for it, I'll have grown used to it and go "meh" and leave it

Are you concerned there might be rats in the walls?

Have you checked the corners of the room for the appropriate number of dimensions?

Are you concerned there might be rats in the walls?

Have you checked the corners of the room for the appropriate number of dimensions?
This house makes noises at night, like someone might be in the attic. I'm not the superstitious type, but if I were, I'd imagine the place is haunted.

I've been in the attic, as has the internet guy, so I know no one's up there--but there are certainly bumps in the night as the house temperature changes.
----------------------------
House update: Just went out to drop off netflix in the mailbox, and one of my new neighbors called me over to meet me.

What I learned: She is single, lives alone, her husband passed away years ago and I'm welcome to come visit anytime. lololol She looks about 75

I also noticed she was wearing eye makeup and lipstick. If she never goes anywhere and lives alone, that means she put that on just to come meet me. :rofl:

We have used this tool while deciding how to rearrange our kitchen, living room, etc.
We rarely buy the stuff from IKEA, but their wide selection makes finding something the right size that can stand in for the stuff we DO have fairly easy.

--Patrick

Maybe she assumed you were too
She probably helped with the interior design!

..I kid, I kid. There are a number of things on our house that are either from it's original build in '55, or when my great aunt bought it and decorated in '65. I'm too lazy/cheap/slightly nostalgic to change them. But there were two rooms I had to remove the wallpaper in, and one of them wasn't done properly originally, so it was a gigantic pain-in-the-ass. Now I hate the thought of putting up or taking down wallpaper. *shakes fist at wallpaper*

This house makes noises at night, like someone might be in the attic. I'm not the superstitious type, but if I were, I'd imagine the place is haunted.

I've been in the attic, as has the internet guy, so I know no one's up there--but there are certainly bumps in the night as the house temperature changes.
----------------------------
House update: Just went out to drop off netflix in the mailbox, and one of my new neighbors called me over to meet me.

What I learned: She is single, lives alone, her husband passed away years ago and I'm welcome to come visit anytime. lololol She looks about 75

I also noticed she was wearing eye makeup and lipstick. If she never goes anywhere and lives alone, that means she put that on just to come meet me. :rofl:
If I'm not mistaken, the correct response is "Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs. Robinson".

Last edited:
Slowly unpacking bags and boxes. Two of my rooms are now once again fully voice controlled.
The big, broken king sized bed is 80% in the dumpsters. The headboard is very heavy and won't easily fit through the door, but I see screws where the heavy trim will come off, so I'm gonna attempt that before I try to haul it to the dumpster to be totally done with it.

Everything is out of the apartment except some cleaning supplies, and the major furniture that's getting moved on Friday. The end of moving is near :D

Began pulling off these super old outlet and light switch covers. Was throwing them all away as I did it, but noticed on the back of one it said "American Tack 1968".

With a brand name and a year, that seems like something vintage collectors might be interested in, so I googled them up. $10-15 apiece on ebay. I probably just made myself about $150-200 by digging these out of the trash.

And mine are much better looking than some of these on Ebay

Final move is finished. Over the last 30 days, I moved everything I could in the car. Which was practically everything. It was surprising what I could get in there. Bookshelves, office desk, etc. But I needed movers for these 5 things:
1660922459024.png

And I was moving 1.7 miles up the road. Everything was loaded, moved, and unloaded in 40 minutes.

I see you did not want to leave your couch behind.

--Patrick
I just bought that couch. I was saddled with the hard-as-nails couch my wife picked out about a year before we split up. I think i had it a week in the apt before I sold it on Craigslist and bought the one I have now. Unless this is some reference I'm whooshing on.

I iz a handyman: Bidet installed and working correctly
1660948695230.png

The room I built out on the tool is starting to come to life.

1661225516169.png

Desk is taking way too long, and i had to pause for an hour while I broke down boxes because tomorrow is trash day.

Should finish it tomorrow, at which point I'll do the easy table that goes on the opposite wall to the desk. Those three things represent about 250 lbs of furniture and all that would fit in the vehicle I took to Frisco Ikea. But it's all the big stuff, and I'll be in Katy next weekend and will hit up that Ikea for the remaining furniture, which should all fit in the car.

So far, everything is fitting exactly as it did in the virtual room, so I'm quite pleased.

Last edited:
So far, everything is fitting exactly as it did in the virtual room
So long as you didn't lie about your size, you should be good.
Only times I've run into real problems were when I forgot to include the thickness of the walls/jambs, but that's only an issue when spanning more than one room.

--Patrick

All the major pieces are in. 4 more smaller pieces to go (2 little cabinets and 2 wall shelves)

Incidentally, that "easy" table... wasn't. It was an extendable table with a hidden leaf that expands the length by 50%. I hadn't noticed when i bought it. I opened the boxes to assemble it and said "uhm that's a lot more hardware than i was expecting"

20220823_232615 (Medium).jpg
20220823_232611 (Medium).jpg
20220823_232624 (Medium).jpg
20220823_232628 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Took a break last weekend but now I'm back to building out the house. Working on the office/music room. This isn't every whistle or flute I own, but it's probably all of the instruments I want to put on the wall. @PatrThom's gift whistle isn't here, because it's my 'car whistle'..the one that stays in the car so I always have a whistle to play wherever I am.

1663438502198.png

@PatrThom's gift whistle isn't here, because it's my 'car whistle'..the one that stays in the car so I always have a whistle to play wherever I am.
I noticed it's also the one you use for demonstrating how to dampen a LOUD whistle, too.
Though the idea that you have a gun rack in your vehicle but for whistles is amusing. :)

--Patrick

I noticed it's also the one you use for demonstrating how to dampen a LOUD whistle, too.
Though the idea that you have a gun rack in your vehicle but for whistles is amusing. :)

--Patrick
Lol, it's in the seat pocket, but a gun rack for whistles in the car would be hilarious