Buying a house

Greeting future minions fellow Halforumites,

So, yeah, my landlord is being a complete bastard about the doomweasels. When I asked what the deal was, I was told that they can spread plague and rabies. "What, both at the same time?", I asked.

I have to be out by December 31st.

So, I'm going to buy a house on an acreage outside of Saskatoon where I can raise my doomies and conduct the necessary biological experiments to hasten my domination of the world.

As I'm a first-time home buyer, can you give me any advice on the process? What should I know about the mortgage process? What do I look for in a realtor? When should I bring in an inspector? What should I especially look for in the contract?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Those who give good advice (or at least good anecdotes) will be spared during The Scampering.

Home inspector. Seriously. Spend your own money to get a reputable home inspector's opinion. Doing so will likely save you a ton of money down the road. Take the advice of someone who didn't take this advice and is now having to deal with waaaaay too many repairs and stuff.

--Patrick

One of the first steps you should take is to go to a few different banks and get their best offers on a mortgage. Once you've picked the best one, get pre-approved so you know how much house you can look at. They will likely offer you a crazy huge mortgage - be sure not to let them talk you into more than you're comfortable with.

As far as realtors go, I would met with a few and see who seems really keen on finding you a house and understands what you want and will negotiate hard for you.

And like PatrThom said, a house inspection is key if you're not buying a new house. A lot of people selling are just not honest sadly. Also be sure to have a good look at any disclosures and if the house has a well and septic, it would be a really good idea to have the water tested and the septic inspected.

This isn't related directly to the house, but I would also try to find out the property tax bills etc.

You'll need to get a mortgage approval before you talk to the realtor. Your realtor may be able to help with that if you aren't sure how to proceed, but you can probably just go to your bank and ask them to go through the process with you and see what they think you can afford. They'll request a number of financial documents, your credit report, and other documentation, and they will give you a number which is the highest loan they will write you. You don't have to go with them when you do close on the house, right now you just need the approval to show potential realtors and sellers that you'll be able to afford the house you choose. You should probably aim lower than the max they gave you, but as long as you have a handle on the payments and understand the other charges and believe you can make them monthly, then go for it. You'll need to come up with a down payment, some amount of money you'll pay out of pocket towards the total coat of the house. Usually you'll want to try to pay at least 5% of the house, but more is better. If you pay less than 20% you'll probably have to pay for extra insurance in your monthly payments to the bank as part of the mortgage.

Realtors make money only when there's a sale. They want to spend as little time as possible making the sale. They also get a slight bonus if they sell a home that's within their affiliation if they are affiliated with a realtor company.

It's not that they're bad, but they have slightly different goals than you, so be aware of that and make sure you understand what they are telling you to do before you do it. You might be able to find a Buyer's realtor, which is a realtor that never sells homes and, in theory, is working more toward your goals than a generic realtor, but they, again, only get paid when you buy a home.

Realtors like to work with realtors. They will try to dissuade you from attempting to buy a home which is being sold by the owner, or uses a non traditional contract, such as a land contract. If you see something you like, feel free to walk all over your realtor, or get a new realtor, in order to get what you want. Don't sign anything that you don't fully understand or haven't read yourself. Some of the more shady realtors will attempt to get you to sign a contract with them prior to showing you even one house with clauses that prevent you from easily switching realtors. It's a cutthroat business, so just make sure you're on your feet and that you aren't playing a passive role in the whole process.

Typically you should look at many houses, even if the first one looks perfect. If you show even the slightest interest in a home you will be pushed to purchase it, unless they think you have more money and they can push you to a more expensive home. They will often say, "well, if you are interested you should put an offer in ASAP, because you never know who else is looking at it." Of course if you waited another week to start looking you may have missed it too, and the reality is that you already missed all the houses that were sold this yar until now anyway, and more houses will come on the market in the next few months you might also miss. Don't buy into the idea that there's one perfect house for you, and that if you don't jump when you see it that you'll forever regret it.

Once you've decided to put an offer on a house, the process has only begun. There are a variety of reasons an offer might fall through so don't get too excited. You'll need to provide a check as a show of good faith with the offer. The offer essentially says, "I will purchase this house if nothing shows up wrong during the inspection." If you bow out after that point without a good reason, they cash the check. It shows you are serious about buying the house. Of course the offer has many clauses which give you reason to bow out and retain the check if something is wrong that they didn't tell you about.

They don't have to accept the offer. They might give you a counter offer. Very rarely will you ever offer what they are asking, the first offer is the start of negotiation, so you typically offer what you are willing to pay, and they either accept it, offer a counter offer, or reject it.

If the negotiation succeeds and a price is agreed on, you at typically given a month to complete inspections of various sorts and get the closing paperwork in order. A home inspection is very, very important. You might want to choose an inspector rather than go with the one your realtor suggests. This and other suggested inspections, such as lead paint, radon, etc, will need to be paid by you at the time of service. Expect to spend a few hundred dollars out of pocket during this time. You should accompany the home inspector and ask questions about anything you see in the house that you don't understand. If something looks broken or worn out, it probably is. Have the realtor make a note of it and consider whether the house is worth what you agreed to after inspecting it. Make sure important things, like the sump pump, are actually tested and working. Just looking isn't enough for some things. Do not buy a house with a cracked or broken foundation. Understand that if the roof is in bad condition it'll cost a lot to replace it, but if the lawn looks terrible it's not going to destroy the house if you leave it terrible. Some things are important and/or expensive, and others aren't. If you are moving to the country without sewer or water service, don't skip a septic system and well inspection. These are often trouble areas that are easy to hide by the seller, and expensive to fix later. Also check what internet services are available.

You and your realtor may find a few things wrong. At that point you usually give the seller a chance to with fix the problems, or lower the price. This is again another time negotiation comes into play.

By this time the title company will know whether the house is free of any legal encumbrances such as taxes, liens, or other unknown mortgages. It shouldn't be a problem, and if it isn't you won't hear anything about it.

Eventually closing day will come. Limber up your hand, you'll need to initial and sign dozens of times. I suggest that you read everything, even if you've read it before. Don't sign something you don't understand and agree to. It'll take time, but this isn't a purchase at Walmart you can simply return if there's a problem.

Now you own a house, and the hard part comes.

Good luck!

As I'm a first-time home buyer, can you give me any advice on the process?
Pay attention to homeowner dues and fees when looking at the cost of a property. This will be a whole separate bill you have to pay, so pay attention, and figure it into the monthly cost of ownership. When you get pre-approved for a mortgage you will be given a rough estimate of your monthly payment, I suggest adding homeowner dues to that figure in order to determine what you can/are comfortable affording.

What should I know about the mortgage process?
It sucks. Lots of moving parts, lots of parties with varying degrees of interest in making it happen. Don't expect anything to get done unless you follow it up. I had my closing pushed back because some pencil pusher couldn't remember to send the title along with the rest of the closing documents. The biggest head scratcher is how banks have no concept of what rent is, and just because you can pay your rent on time for years doesn't mean you can make a mortgage payment that's smaller.

What do I look for in a realtor?
This is tricky because a realtor is both trying to get you to buy a property, but also represent your best interests. Ideally you want a strong salesperson who isn't going to constantly try and upsell you out of your comfort zone. A great realtor will continue to be involved up through closing (as opposed to just showing up at the closing attorneys office) assisting with your due diligence. They tend to know various inspectors).

When should I bring in an inspector?
After you have an offer accepted. A good realtor can help you with this too, it is in their best interest for you to wind up happy. I suggest being present for the inspection, and don't worry the report will read like doom and gloom, that's usually okay (sometimes it is doom and gloom). You can use the inspection report to negotiate any needed work on the home, or if things are bad walk away.

What should I especially look for in the contract?
Most of it is fairly standard, but just look at how you're paying off the loan, don't do anything stupid like interest only (you pay nothing but the low interest until the end of the loan term when 100% of the principal become due), how insurance will be paid, and what your responsibilities will be. This is a decision that will affect you for 15-30 years, so take the time to read everything and ask questions if need be.

Also only do a fixed Apr don't do any of that variable Apr crap or you can get screwed big time (see tge housing bust of a few years ago)

Actually, variable APR can be good if you think rates are going to go down. Just be very, very careful and aware of the terms, there are a variety of options.
And keep in mind that rates aren't going down at the moment, and aren't liable to be this low again, so a fixed rate is a good choice right now.

Lastly, regarding home associations, I too wouldn't want to live in one, but most people are fine with them and they are useful for those that really do want their neighborhood to be kept up to a certain standard. Read, re-read, and re-re-read the terms and make absolutely certain that if taken to the extreme none of the rules would bother you or impede you using your house and property for your desired uses.

Actually, variable APR can be good if you think rates are going to go down. Just be very, very careful and aware of the terms, there are a variety of options.
And keep in mind that rates aren't going down at the moment, and aren't liable to be this low again, so a fixed rate is a good choice right now.

Lastly, regarding home associations, I too wouldn't want to live in one, but most people are fine with them and they are useful for those that really do want their neighborhood to be kept up to a certain standard. Read, re-read, and re-re-read the terms and make absolutely certain that if taken to the extreme none of the rules would bother you or impede you using your house and property for your desired uses.
Or for those of us who live in townhouses, where all the landscaping and exterior maintenance is handled by our HOA.

If you don't want a homeowners association then enjoy living in older houses in the country. Most new homes in subdivisions come with a homeowners association setup or picked by the developer. At least in my state.

Necronic

Staff member
So I'm looking into buying a house and I just got my pre-approval. The one thing I've always been told is to NEVER get an ARM. And I won't. But I'm really not sure how true this statement is anymore. Here's what I was offered:

30 yr fixed: 4.125

10/5 ARM: 2.56/5.5/7.5

The 10/5 ARM means that it stays fixed for 10 years, adjusts in year 10 to a maximum of 5.5, then adjusts again in year 15 to a max of 7.5, then so on each 5 years.

5/1 ARMs are crazy, I would never do that. But I have to be honest I'm somewhat tempted by the 10/5. In the worst case scenario (getting the max adjustments) the 10/5 beats the 30 yr fixed until year 18. And 10 years at 2.56% you have got to be kidding me. That's pretty amazing. If you don't expect to keep the house beyond 10 years the ARM may actually make sense.

I doubt I will touch it because I would just rather have things be stable, but for clever folk out there it's not as terrible an idea anymore, if you can find it.

I bought a house and will take possession this Friday. It's out in the middle of nowhere, so I can perform my evil experiments in peace and quiet. It's also on 10 acres of land so I can raise many, many doomweasels and possibly some doombadgers.

I'll post pictures once I've moved in.

Anyone passing through SK is welcome to sleep in the barn.

I bought a house and will take possession this Friday. It's out in the middle of nowhere, so I can perform my evil experiments in peace and quiet. It's also on 10 acres of land so I can raise many, many doomweasels and possibly some doombadgers.

I'll post pictures once I've moved in.

Anyone passing through SK is welcome to sleep in the barn.
Excellent! I can definitely invent a reason to come to SK.