Character Generation of the Future... we hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve Online has finally created the near perfect char generator. With enough tweaking you can pretty much, to near perfection, recreate yourself or anyone with this tool.

I would love to see this depth of char creation in alot more RPGs. I'd have loved to have the Dovahkiin look exactly like me or a near perfect recreation of the "Shego Witch" I had in my head. Not just an "as close as I can get it using the presets available".

To be fair, Eve does not have to worry too much about making the characters work in environments, as it's used to only generate your character icon people see when they talk with you or inspect you.

I do hope to see something like this in the future as it is really impressive, but to me it's like the little avatar generators you can find online for forums, rather then a full on character generator you would see in something like Skyrim. I don't think we are at that point yet, but hopefully soon.

To be fair, Eve does not have to worry too much about making the characters work in environments, as it's used to only generate your character icon people see when they talk with you or inspect you.

I do hope to see something like this in the future as it is really impressive, but to me it's like the little avatar generators you can find online for forums, rather then a full on character generator you would see in something like Skyrim. I don't think we are at that point yet, but hopefully soon.
I'm pretty sure EVE has the ability to get out of your ship and walk around space stations now. But, I haven't played in awhile, so I could be wrong. That feature was supposedly coming, and was the reason they revamped their character creator.

I honestly dont' bother spending that much time with character generators anyhow. Its neat that you can spend hours perfectly recreating your own face so that you can almost never see it in game anyway since the majority of the game will invariably be played either first person or over the shoulder, but I'd rather spend 10 minutes making a rough proximity and then actually play the game.
Hell, in New Vegas I didn't even do that, I made the character a girl (Because Black Widow is the most useful perk in that series) and then hit randomize.

I'm pretty sure EVE has the ability to get out of your ship and walk around space stations now. But, I haven't played in awhile, so I could be wrong. That feature was supposedly coming, and was the reason they revamped their character creator.
If that is the case then I am very impressed, though it makes me wonder how they got around skin deformation caused by a base skeleton. Will have to look into that sometime.

Yes... this is why I play as a female character. :whistling:
I get the joke here. The ol' "If I'm going to be staring at a polygonal ass all day, it may as well be a woman's" joke.
You don't actually play fallout in the 3rd person view, do you? Yeesh. The animation is too floaty, it bugs me.

Necronic

Staff member
As an EvE fanboy I'll fill you guys in on this. This was part of an expansion called Incarna. The Carbon engine they created for this is pretty strange. Yes, the level of detail you can put into dudes is ridiculous, I spent hours doing my characters. That said, the actual use of it (walking in stations) is horrifically bad. Its one of those types of FPS designs where you use the "a" and "d" keys to turn instead of strafe. The hair effects are also pretty terrible, no bouncing or motion.

This whole project actually caused a complete hell-storm in EvE. This project took something close to 6 years to complete (the dude managing it is Old Garde and good buddies with the CEO), and people were mad that it was taking away dev resources from the actual game (referenced as Flying in Space vs Walking in Stations.)

When it was finally released it was non-optional and a massive resource hog (required a very good computer), and worst of all the only thing you could do was walk around an area called the "Captains Quarters" which was basically a room with a couch. This was after 6 years of them talking about this. A LOT of people unsubbed after what was considered the single worst expansion in EvE's history, and it caused a lot of problems for CCP. They ended up having to lay off/fire a large amount of their workforce including delaying/cancelling development of World of Darkness. In the end the CEO actually wrote a public apology to the EvE players.

Things have turned around recently though, there was an excellent expansion that just came out and a lot of people are coming back, but Incarna will go down as the single worst expansion that EvE ever saw.

Yeah, Eve won't even play on systems more than 5 years old anymore. I used to be able to log in and update skills and check the market with my laptop, now it won't even let me try to start the client.

We haven't seen any player interaction yet. You can walk around your own quarters right now, but you can't wander around the station yet. The controls for walking around doesn't bother me. It's not like you'll ever be doing anything other than walking around and talking to people. I don't think there'll be combat in stations.

And yeah, you can make some pretty horrible combinations. The Eve forums actually uses your portrait for your avatar, so you can browse there to see all the different ones.
eve.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.