Childhood Programs and Live-Action Films: What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. For a while now, there has been a trend of taking cartoons and making live-action films out of them. So, thus I have begun to ponder what shows from my youth will eventually make the chopping block that is the live-action Hollywood adaptation. I've decided to extend the question now to all of you Halforumites. What television programs from your childhood past do you think Hollywood will eventually try to mine?

Personally, shows that I had once watched I think will hit the big screen at some point include:

Pokemon
Sailor Moon
Freakazoid
Johnny Bravo
Power Rangers

Power Ranger did do feature films, unless you're talking about reboots. If so, we won't see Sailor Moon, that much is certain.

HOWEVER:
I would bet SERIOUS money into seeing a Live Action Pokemon within the next 15yrs.

What I wouldn't mind seeing?

A well done Thundercats (and yes I've seen the fan trailer)
An epic and well done Zelda.

I used to have the Sailor Moon RPG rulebook. Gave it to my friend cause I was tired of lugging it around every time I moved, and no one would play it with me.

I kinda wish we could get another TMNT live action movie. We'd probably end up with CGI turtles and real humans though. :(

Shakey said:
I used to have the Sailor Moon RPG rulebook. Gave it to my friend cause I was tired of lugging it around every time I moved, and no one would play it with me.

I kinda wish we could get another TMNT live action movie. We'd probably end up with CGI turtles and real humans though. :(
I would NOT mind a sequel to the CGI remake recently done, they left it on a cliffhanger after all!

W

Wyrminarrd

Centurions! I would love to see a big budget adaptation of that cartoon

Sailor Moon got a Live Action Series awhile back in Japan... a movie too.

G.I. Joe is getting a movie that's coming out very soon.

AshburnerX said:
Sailor Moon got a Live Action Series awhile back in Japan... a movie too.
Yeah, I was more referring to a American reboot movie, kinda thing.
AshburnerX said:
G.I. Joe is getting a movie that's coming out very soon.
Looking forward to this one actually.

W

Wyrminarrd

Everything I´ve heard about the G.I. Joe movie points to it being a huge disaster which is a real shame since I loved the cartoons as a kid and was looking forward to the movie.

Wyrminarrd said:
Everything I´ve heard about the G.I. Joe movie points to it being a huge disaster which is a real shame since I loved the cartoons as a kid and was looking forward to the movie.
Really? Please, do site some sources, cause everything I've seen and read, it'll be as awesome as it can be for what it's coming from. By no means, Transformers bad I'm sure.

Has there been a live action movie based on a cartoon that was good? I know what everyone thinks of Transformers, but look at Scooby Doo, Casper, Garfield, Inspector Gadget. Of all of these Transformers is by far the best.

I honestly thought there'd be a Pokemon live action by now. I'd like to see a Thundercats but considering the track record it'll blow as well. What are they doing making movies based on Saturday morning cartoons for kids instead of adults?

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Boris and Natasha: The Movie (1992)
Casper: A Spirited Beginning
Casper Meets Wendy
Casper the Friendly Ghost
The Cat in the Hat
Dennis the Menace
Dragonball Evolution
Dudley Do-Right
Fat Albert
The Flintstones
Garfield
Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (2006)
George of the Jungle
Inspector Gadget
Josie and the Pussycats
Masters of the Universe
Mr. Magoo
Richie Rich
Richie Rich's Christmas Wish
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Scooby-Doo
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Speed Racer (2008)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Transformers (2007)
Underdog

What now bitches? Transformers doesn't seem so bad, huh? (Althought the first TMNT movie was decent.)

W

Wyrminarrd

Shegokigo said:
Wyrminarrd said:
Really? Please, do site some sources, cause everything I've seen and read, it'll be as awesome as it can be for what it's coming from. By no means, Transformers bad I'm sure.
Just stuff I´ve read around the web, haven't exactly been keeping a log about them :tongue:

One of the things said that they were doing massive re-editing of the movie after it tested horribly, the actors have stated that they couldn't take the plot seriously so they tended to over act (a big no in my book). I´m hoping that it turns out well, I´m a fan and want it to be a good movie but I´m not hopeful.

Not that those expectations will keep me from going to see it on opening weekend :popcorn:

Steve said:
Has there been a live action movie based on a cartoon that was good? I know what everyone thinks of Transformers, but look at Scooby Doo, Casper, Garfield, Inspector Gadget. Of all of these Transformers is by far the best.

I honestly thought there'd be a Pokemon live action by now. I'd like to see a Thundercats but considering the track record it'll blow as well. What are they doing making movies based on Saturday morning cartoons for kids instead of adults?
What are you talking about? The Scooby Doo movies were actually pretty damn awesome... Matthew Lillard was a perfect Shaggy and the first movie was full of in-jokes that only older fans of the show would get (The smoke coming from the van, Mary Jane, the scene where Velma gets drunk and hits on Daphne, etc...). The first Casper movie was pretty good too, though the constant sequels are kinda craptacular. I'd even argue that the first Inspector Gadget movie was good.

Out of all of those, I'd say Transformers was the absolute worst of the lot, as the designs are far too much of a departure from the show and the movies can't even focus on GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING, which what the fucking show was about.

C

Chibibar

There was live action Sailor moon series (about 12 episodes I think) it was pretty good. Character did look like the anime version.

Steve said:

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Boris and Natasha: The Movie (1992)
Casper: A Spirited Beginning
Casper Meets Wendy
Casper the Friendly Ghost
The Cat in the Hat
Dennis the Menace
Dragonball Evolution
Dudley Do-Right
Fat Albert
The Flintstones
Garfield
Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties (2006)
George of the Jungle
Inspector Gadget
Josie and the Pussycats
Masters of the Universe
Mr. Magoo
Richie Rich
Richie Rich's Christmas Wish
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Scooby-Doo
Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
Speed Racer (2008)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
Transformers (2007)
Underdog

What now bitches? Transformers doesn't seem so bad, huh? (Althought the first TMNT movie was decent.)
Dennis the Menace was actually true to source content and a great family film. So > Transformers.
Josie and the Pussycats happens to be a cult hit and one of my favorite movies. So > Transformers.
Scooby-Doo pt1 was hilarious in its "Brady Bunch spoof" style spoof. So > Transformers.
Speed Racer was just as innane as Transformers, but it actually, I dunno FEATURED the character. So > Transformers.
TMNT 1 and 2 were huge hits when they released and again, were actually about the characters. So > Transformers.

What now bitch? :twisted:

L

Lally

Shegokigo said:
This! But I really doubt that it will ever be well done, if it's done at all. I can't think of any video game movie that I thought was done well enough to serve Zelda. I imagine it coming out looking like that prank IGN trailer from April Fools a while back... which was great, for the budget that they had to have been on, but if the whole movie looked that cheesy, I think we'd hate it.

Shegokigo said:
Power Ranger did do feature films, unless you're talking about reboots. If so, we won't see Sailor Moon, that much is certain.

HOWEVER:
I would bet SERIOUS money into seeing a Live Action Pokemon within the next 15yrs.

What I wouldn't mind seeing?

A well done Thundercats (and yes I've seen the fan trailer)
The only problem with Zelda is that all of the characters are still very flat. Link has never said anything. It's likely end up like Super Mario Bros. :pud:

Lally said:
Shegokigo said:
This! But I really doubt that it will ever be well done, if it's done at all. I can't think of any video game movie that I thought was done well enough to serve Zelda. I imagine it coming out looking like that prank IGN trailer from April Fools a while back... which was great, for the budget that they had to have been on, but if the whole movie looked that cheesy, I think we'd hate it.
That's easy. Zelda done LOTR style.

Yes I know his character has always been "flat", didn't make the stories any less interesting.

L

Le Quack

An X-Men movie based on "Night of the Sentinels."

Night of the Sentinels kicked ass as a cartoon; Imagine if it's done live action.

figmentPez

Staff member
To help everyone's memory out: Wikipedia list of 1980's American Animated Television Series and a list for the 1990's

First, the list of "Please don't let these happen, ever, ever, ever!":
Fluppy Dogs
Pound Puppies
Maya the Bee
Wuzzles
Beverly Hills Teens

Then the list of "It pretty much already happened":
Shirt Tales and/or Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers = G-Force
Hero High (I don't remmeber this one) = Sky High

Finally, what might actually work:
Pirates of Dark Water
Megas XLR (okay, not exactly my childhood, but it would still make an awesome comedy)

Not much really. I'd go for some childhood books as movies first:
The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
The Secret Life of Dilly McBean
Professor Wormbog in Search For The Zipperumpazoo

In terms of what we've gotten as films, the main ones I thought were any good were:

Steve said:
Dudley Do-Right
Inspector Gadget
Josie and the Pussycats
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Scooby-Doo
Speed Racer (2008)
Transformers (2007)
Now, Shegokigo, in regards to Power Rangers:

Shegokigo said:
Power Ranger did do feature films, unless you're talking about reboots.
I would say to do a reboot. For a new live-action film, take things back to square one.

Now, when I had started the thread, I was just guessing as to what I think Hollywood would try at some point. However, the shows I do think could be good as films (if handled correctly, of course) are:
Power Rangers
Pirates of Dark Water
Megas XLR
Thundercats
C.O.P.S.
Captain Planet
Centurions
Sailor Moon
Freakazoid
Robotech
Pokemon
Johnny Bravo
Dexter's Laboratory

A

Aisaku

Speed Racer was surprisingly good.

Transformers is just painful to watch. Not to mention that they get little screen time but in the action scenes I just saw junkpiles crashing into buildings, the new designs have so many little details that it made them hard to follow.

I'm actually looking forward to GI JOE. Not for the movie itself but for Sienna Miller and Christopher Eccleston.

L

Lally

Shegokigo said:
Lally said:
Shegokigo said:
That's easy. Zelda done LOTR style.

Yes I know his character has always been "flat", didn't make the stories any less interesting.
No, I agree it would be awesome if done in LOTR style... but what I mean is, video games don't get the respect to get that kind of treatment. It's just going to be made as some cheesy mess. I'm hoping there's some video game movie out there that I'm forgetting that did get a good treatment, but I can't think of any.

S

Scarlet Varlet

Eminem announced some time in the past he wanted to do a Have Gun Will Travel movie with himself in the starring roll. :rofl:

Dunno where its at atm, maybe he came to his senses.

A

Aisaku

One that I'm willing to bet will never get made is Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

You know, if after the First GIJoe trailer had come out someone had bet me 100 bucks that I would end up liking GIJoe more than Transformers 2, I would have taken that bet and called that person fucking crazy. Now there is a very good chance that bet may come true.

Rob King said:
The Adventures of Tintin
I know somebody wants to do a Tintin movie... I think it was Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg. But that was supposed to be a CGI movie.

Here's one for our foreign friends: Astreix and Obelix.

There's two or three live-action Asterix movies already. Mission Cleopatra, A&O contra Caesar...maybe another, but I'm not sure. Gerard Depardieu plays Obelix.

Wahad said:
There's two or three live-action Asterix movies already. Mission Cleopatra, A&O contra Caesar...maybe another, but I'm not sure. Gerard Depardieu plays Obelix.
It should have been BRIAN BLESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.