Chromecast

So, 7 years ago I bought a 60 inch 1080p HDTV with no smart capabilities, I just learned about Chromecast but I'm still confused. Can I guy the new version and plug it into my one of my free HDMI ports?

How exactly does it work? Do I require a streaming service? I do have Netflix but what else can I do without pay more money other than the device.

1) Yes, it's basically just plug in and start using. You'll have to set it up over the wifi but it takes like less than 10 minutes.

2) Their site for it should have a full list of things you can stream over it. I use netflix and Youtube mostly, but things like Pandora or Spotify I think all work with it. There's a podcast app that works with it. Some of the networks down here have streaming apps but not all of them work with it. CW does not, for example but I think ABC does. Adult swim app doesn't work with it but Comedy Central is supposed to but didn't work for me last night when I tried it but that might have been because of my tablet. I'll try again tonight probably.

Basically it's hit or miss.

I like mine, and for 30 bucks I don't think it's a waste since when I have people over we can share videos and stuff on the big screen which is fun. When i'm going to marathon on something it's nice but usually if I'm just sitting down for a bit to watch whatever i'll just watch it off the tablet anyway.

Most everything similar (Chromecast, AppleTV, Roku) is just a thing that turns your non-smartTV into a smartTV.
Instead of tuning in channels like days of yore, you instead run apps on the device that pull the requested content over your Internet connection. Totally different.

Also, most of them let you do some sort of local streaming, where you can take something that's on a device in your house (tablet, PC, tabletPC) and mirror that content to your (dumb) television, if that's somehow more desirable for you.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Chromecast is pretty good but not perfect. It's helped a lot if you get Videostream for Chrome on your PC, then you can stream any video file you have to the chromecast.

Apart from that, things like Netflix, youtube, hulu etc have native chromecast support. When I watch netflix, I just pull up the netflix app on my phone, and hit the chromecast button, and boom, what I am watching is on the TV instead of my phone.

Every so often though, the thing needs a hard reset.. like, physically unplug it from the TV and plug it back in.