Civilian impersonates military member on Remembrance Day

I heard about this guy earlier today. I just want to kick him in the balls. Repeatedly. Buuuuuut it sounds like I'm gonna have to take a number.

Dude had the gall to wear a Medal of Bravery, too. Fucking scumbag.

What kind of worries me, though, is that his dress was all kinds of wrong, and yet he never got questioned or called out. I mean, this was just some wannabe, but what if he'd had more... nefarious purposes?

What kind of worries me, though, is that his dress was all kinds of wrong, and yet he never got questioned or called out. I mean, this was just some wannabe, but what if he'd had more... nefarious purposes?
Well, it's not like he was trying to pass himself off as official military to anyone that would check his id. He went to a public event, loitered around a bit, and then talked to a tv reporter. No one handed him keys to a tank.

blowing up children with robots every single day.
Over five years drones have led to the deaths of 147 civilians (ie, "verified" "non combatants"), 94 of which are children. It's about one and half children per month. Over 2400 people have been killed via drones during this time. Around 37 "combatants" have been killed per month via drones during this time. That's about 94% intended kills, 6% civilian, 4% children.

Further, the only difference between blowing up a child with a drone, and doing it with a piloted jet is cost. The drones are operated by pilots in real time, in or near the area they are targeting (the drone centers in the US are for training, latency requires drone pilots be nearer their targets than halfway around the world). The pilots, and by extension their leaders and their intelligence, are responsible for blowing up children.

They aren't robots any more than your garage door is a robot that you can control with a pushbutton from a nearby distance.

In completely unrelated news, garage door openers killed about a child a month from the mid 70's to the mid 80's prior to the introduction of minimal safety standards for garage door openers. Today it's only 3-4 children per year. So today the US led drone attacks in the warzone appears to be beating garage door openers in the US led war on children by a factor of 5.

Honestly, though, the deaths of the civilians, as bad as it is, might not compare to the PTSD we are forcing on entire nations who live with near daily drone strikes.

We cannot possibly comprehend the terror we are inducing in other populations with our drones, though who knows - a day may come when portions of the US are under fire from drones belonging to other nations.

fade

Staff member
I gave up on the math. Numbers don't mean anything to someone passionately believing in something. And that's something we've all been guilty of.

oh, okay, one child per month, THAT'S okay. You know, one child per two months is also bad, how many children is it alright to kill? I'm for 0 children per epoch.

Dave

Staff member
oh, okay, one child per month, THAT'S okay. You know, one child per two months is also bad, how many children is it alright to kill? I'm for 0 children per epoch.
I'm actually torn by this all. Killing civilians - whether kids or adults - is very, very bad and there's NO amount of acceptable casualties. On the other hand, military wannabes who dress up and do stolen valor crap piss me off. I mean, it's not like they both can't be bad. The big difference, though, is that the stolen valor thing is here and in our faces while the killed kids are distant and very abstract to most people, which explains the disparate levels of outrage. I get what you are saying, Charlie, and I agree. But the distances of the issues at hand have a lot to do with the levels of anger at each.

those aren't children, they're chemicals
Really, though. There is a major difference between a child huddling in a corner in fear of bombs being dropped on them and a cluster of cells that have no more sentience than a mole or cyst.

I actually got angry when steinman brought that up yesterday but I just turned away because he has my beliefs and I have my own. It's not something that can be changed through discussion.

Y'all heard about this? Evidently, this guy showed up at the Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa in a mish-mash Canadian military uniform, was interviewed on CTV and supposedly gave his actual name, France Gervais. Now the military is trying to track him down, and I don't think it's going to be for an invite to join the forces.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/r...ervais-not-in-the-military-dnd-says-1.2833025
The gentleman in question has now been arrested and charged on four counts.

Yet I really would like the cops to find the guy who broke into my garage and took some of my junk. Or hey, maybe they could have caught Paul Bernardo after he committed his first rape, not years later, after he raped and killed 3 teenage girls with the help of his wife.

-Canuck Charlie

Grue is just questioning the prioritization of the allocation of police resources.

--Patrick
Which is completely fair, because as we all know, police, like the rest of government, are only capable of doing exactly one thing, and one thing only, at a time.