[Funny] Cool Corgi - The Meme That Never Ends

We could honestly streamline them a little. Does Needs a Lock, Spoilers, or You're Doing That Thing Again ever get used except ironically? I've only ever used them for comedic purposes.

This is the only xenforo board I'm on that has anything more than a like button. What's the harm of keeping them the way they are?

Dave

Staff member
Before we make any changes around here we do thorough research and look at case studies to see what effect these changes will have. This ship doesn't just turn around on a dime, my friend.

Oh my god it was hard to type that out without laughing.

GasBandit

Staff member
We could honestly streamline them a little. Does Needs a Lock, Spoilers, or You're Doing That Thing Again ever get used except ironically? I've only ever used them for comedic purposes.
Needs a lock does serve a purpose, in that if a post gets 5 of them, it automatically gets hidden. Sort of like a community moderation function, for when your friendly neighborhood admins aren't around.

I've seen "spoilers" used maybe 2 or 3 times out of 100 without irony, yeah, but it's kind of a staple.

And we can get rid of "You're doing the thing again" when you guys STOP DOING THE THING.

Before we make any changes around here we do thorough research and look at case studies to see what effect these changes will have.
Funny nautical metaphors aside, this is a very valid concern. As far as I can tell "disabling" a rating doesn't do any harm, but much beyond that and there be dragons in how the plugin interacts with the user profiles.

Ooo, I'd forgotten about "Really? REALLY?"

--Patrick
Yeah, it kinda had a nebulous definition, and ended up getting used the same as "needs a lock."

Yeah, I hate liking a death notice.
There's been several options on FB for quite a while now, you can 'sad' it... I just think the FB choices don't span the full emotional range quite that well. Hug can be positive, negative, encouraging, supportive, joyful, depending on context.

I don't think you're remembering the original definition of the thing. You're thinking of the redefinition where certain people have hijacked it to mean "disagreeing with you as usual" which is not the thing.
Honestly, I was under the impression that the version of 'the thing' that applied to you involved a certain unfortunate line of questioning in AMA threads.

GasBandit

Staff member
Honestly, I was under the impression that the version of 'the thing' that applied to you involved a certain unfortunate line of questioning in AMA threads.
"The thing" is deliberately misunderstanding a post for attempted (and dubious) comedic value. I created the "doing the thing" rating during a period where it was particularly egregious. It's no coincidence who the two loudest objectors above are :p

I never considered it that, and I know several other posters don't, either. Plenty of people here have their own "thing" they do,and get the rating. Fade not liking something, you asking about dietary habits and furballs, whatever. You may not have meant it that way, it still gets used that way. Things change and words get new meanings literally all the time. :troll:

GasBandit

Staff member
I never considered it that, and I know several other posters don't, either. Plenty of people here have their own "thing" they do,and get the rating. Fade not liking something, you asking about dietary habits and furballs, whatever. You may not have meant it that way, it still gets used that way. Things change and words get new meanings literally all the time. :troll:

"The thing" is deliberately misunderstanding a post for attempted (and dubious) comedic value. I created the "doing the thing" rating during a period where it was particularly egregious. It's no coincidence who the two loudest objectors above are :p
Hey, it's not always deliberate.

--Patrick

What have you monsters done to my Corgi thread?! :eek:
It's my fault, sorry. I was trying to set up that "over-your-head-rating" joke while also trying to get under Gassy's skin with yet another "why can't we have [insert rating here] rating" whine piled on top of pretending to be a Slider.

I didn't expect anyone to bite, but I got everyone - and set up the joke I was aiming for. But nobody laughed :(

And for that, I'm sorry.