[Gaming] D&D 5e. I'm not kidding.

Dave

Staff member
http://www.geeknative.com/25222/wotc-to-announce-dungeons-and-dragons-5/

Been hearing a lot about this lately but it's all be conjecture and rumor. Now it seems the rumors may be founded.

It looks like 5e will be almost like an open sourced game. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'm glad I got rid of all my 4e stuff.

Oh, and it specifically mentions how Pathfinder has been kicking ass due to 4e sucking.
Added at: 10:09
Another source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/a...s-dragons-remake-uses-players-input.html?_r=2

I actually liked 4e until they started basing themselves more on "Essentials" in order to be "easier". Though I was playing Living Forgotten Realms, and basically stopped when they started fucking around with the rules for that as well.

People didn't really like our last set of new rules and seemed to flock to a system that basically used our old rules in droves. WHAT WE NEED IS NEW NEW RULES! NEWER THAN THE LAST! ONE THAT REQUIRES THE PURCHASE OF NEW BOOKS!

Reading the first three comments already shows what kind of mess asking the community for help with the rules is going to be.

These guys are fucken dumb as fuck. It's like... their totally winging it while shoveling bags of money into their pockets.

Still feel 4th wasn't as bad as some people claim as it was and is great for new comers to the gendre... it's simply the shitty concepts they keep coming up with, releasing untested shit, adding more and more and more and amore classes/races with little to no testing just for the sake of selling "the new book".

Bastards.

Dave

Staff member
I just love the fact that the 5e was announced and they still don't have the electronic tools they promised BEFORE printing 4d...

Beta for the VT is apparently out and it sucks ass. That's what I hear at least.

I haven't played 4e. I've played 2nd edition and 3.5, and I enjoyed both, though they are different experiences. I love Pathfinder, because it is a genuinely improved version of 3.5. I can't say that 4e is a bad system, and I think it can provide a fun gaming experience as long as no one's going in with expectations for something it's not meant to be.

I don't really have anything to say about 5e, except that it seems to be coming rather soon on the heels of 4e and a lot of players are probably going to feel burned at having to get a new set of rules.

"Our mission is to ensure that D&D enters its next 40 years as a vibrant, growing, and exciting game."

... continues to be profitable for us...

"Our mission is to ensure that D&D enters its next 40 years as a vibrant, growing, and exciting game."

... continues to be profitable for us...
And if it continues to be profitable, they'll keep producing it. Doing things for profit isn't necessarily bad, but doing short-sighted things for short term profit that trash the long-term market, that is bad. It's too early to say which this is going to be, since they haven't actually done anything for certain yet, other than make an announcement.

Dave

Staff member
They know that 4e was a dismal failure in both sales and retention. The system was largely disliked and the promised electronic toolsets never materialized amid broken promises and half-assed releases.

The only problem I see with the new way they want to do 5e is too many bosses and not enough workers.

One thing that will never exist again is the open license like 3.5 had which allowed for the huge 3rd party support and is to thank for the very existence of Pathfinder.

I haven't played 4e. I've played 2nd edition and 3.5, and I enjoyed both, though they are different experiences. I love Pathfinder, because it is a genuinely improved version of 3.5. I can't say that 4e is a bad system, and I think it can provide a fun gaming experience as long as no one's going in with expectations for something it's not meant to be.

I don't really have anything to say about 5e, except that it seems to be coming rather soon on the heels of 4e and a lot of players are probably going to feel burned at having to get a new set of rules.
Well if Pathfinder was 4e and 4e was Pathfinder I strongly believe that both systems would be doing fine, though I doubt Pathfinder would be doing as well as it is currently.

I think the only reason I care about this news is because of the name. My gaming group uses Pathfinder when we play fantasy games now, and it's great. Still it's Dungeons & Dragons so I'll pay attention.

The idea of everyone getting at-will powers that scale with levels was pretty good, i hope they keep it...

I'm still waiting for a 4E PC RPG to have an actual opinion about the rest of it...

I played the board game based on those drow books (I admit, I can't spell his name). It was surprisingly fun and crazy difficult. We never one once, but it was still a blast, in that insane grind kind of way.

I'm ashamed to admit i can spell his name... two z's and all.

But imo the original trilogy was pretty entertaining... also, not focused solely on him...

Drizzt Do'Urden if I recall correctly, and yeah the first three books were great, the first I think 6 were overall decent but after awhile they went down hill when Slvatore had too many character shields on people.

Also, the whole Catti-brie thing was annoying, as it was obvious he realised he only hooked her up with Wulfgar because they where both humans and then tried to autocorrect too much while using another boring cliche in hooking her up with the now protagonist...

I for one like this announcement. They are hoping to generate customer support by outsourcing product testing to them. Love that idea.

No version of D&D has ever sucked.

The "Revise, Reboot, Resell!" business model has always suckes.

This will most likely continue with D&D 4s

I'm going to disagree with your opinion that no version has sucked and leave it at that.

Revise, Reboot, Resell is the normal business model for most RPGs, so I'm fine with wotc doing it. Usually it leads to tighter rulesets. Compare Burning Wheel to Mouse Guard.

I'm going to disagree with your opinion that no version has sucked and leave it at that.

Revise, Reboot, Resell is the normal business model for most RPGs, so I'm fine with wotc doing it. Usually it leads to tighter rulesets. Compare Burning Wheel to Mouse Guard.
How long until 5th edition is ditched?

1st - 1974-1989
2nd - 1989-2000
3rd - 2000-2008
4th - 2008-2012

How long until 5th edition is ditched?

1st - 1974-1989
2nd - 1989-2000
3rd - 2000-2008
4th - 2008-2012
For that answer, first I'm going to revise your timeline a bit. Editions start getting counted with AD&D first edition, splitting 3rd into 3.0 and 3.5, and since I have no clue when 5th edition is actually going to be released, leaving that one open-ended.

1st - 1978-1989
2nd- 1989-200
3.0- 2000-2003
3.5- 2003-2008
4- 2008-

Since they announced 5th edition in 2012, they're either going for a late 2012 release or a 2013 release. Either way, it means that 4th will have had about the same lifespan as 3.5, lasting 5 years before the next edition. So 5th edition is probably going to get ditched around 2017 or 2018.

WOC- "Uh-oh everyone playing DnD has purchased all the essential books.... quick shift a few rules around and start releasing them all as 5th edition!"