[Brazelton] David Bowie

I saw it everywhere and just assumed hoax. Bummer.

Don't know why his death screamed hoax so much more than anyone elses.

I saw it everywhere and just assumed hoax. Bummer.

Don't know why his death screamed hoax so much more than anyone elses.
Maybe because he just had a birthday and new album release. And no one outside a very select few knew he was sick.

I'll be waiting at Barnes & Noble in the morning for a copy of Blackstar. Everyone who's heard it says he knew this was going to be the last. :(

Well this feels like it came out of left field.

"I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way, and the stars look very different today."

Dave

Staff member
This one really came out of left field. I mean, his new album just hit Friday!

The press has been doing a lot of retrospectives. I wonder if they had an inkling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This one really came out of left field. I mean, his new album just hit Friday!

The press has been doing a lot of retrospectives. I wonder if they had an inkling.
No, just a standard procedure to have memorial reels prepped for older well-know stars. As the day progresses we'll have more about his recent stuff, but this morning it will mostly be older clips and voice-overs.

Dave

Staff member
No, just a standard procedure to have memorial reels prepped for older well-know stars. As the day progresses we'll have more about his recent stuff, but this morning it will mostly be older clips and voice-overs.
Not this morning, but all week after his album dropped.

Anyway, they are theorizing that his final video is his way of telling people how sick he was. I don't know if I buy it, but that sounds pretty Bowie-esque.

fade

Staff member
I thought the same thing after seeing the announcement of his death. Like he saw it coming, hence all the recent press, and pushing out Black Star.

And just think, in another 70 years (if we're lucky) all this re-posting of his music won't be illegal due to idiotic copyright laws! His music will be "protected" *cough*exploited*cough* for longer than he was ALIVE. Sorry about derail, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

My thoughts go out to his family. Personally, I'm also somewhat freaked out. My Dad's 69, turning 70 this year. So it reiterates that my parents are getting "into the zone" of shit happening. :(

I wish it didn't take his passing for me to find out he was a rapist and a pedophile. But, ya know. You can count the number of male rock stars from that era that didn't fuck little girls on one hand. Like the OP, I'll celebrate the music and skip mourning the man.

It's OK, everyone! He didn't actually die.
He just quit so he could be Tilda Swinton full-time.

...in all seriousness, it's momentous for me, but not hitting me as much as I thought it might. I suppose it's because I didn't identify with him as much as so many of my fellow weirdos do. 'Twas a different sort of weird.

--Patrick

Of course he saw it coming - he had 6 heart attacks over the past two years and was struggling with cancer.

And yeah, it sucks that he's dead but it doesn't quite hit me as hard as I thought it would.

GasBandit

Staff member
David Bowie was one of those people who I'm always surprised to hear is still alive yet am surprised when they die. Sort of like Wilford Brimley or Kieth Richards.

Dave

Staff member
anyways, if you don't want to google or think I'm making it up - https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie
That's awesome proof. A groupie that was backstage at a drug and alcohol-fueled binge with her mother's consent. Nothing in that shows that Bowie knew the girl's age. No charges were ever filed, no proof other than this interview. As proof goes it's tenuous at best and slanderous at worst. So you'll believe what you want, but I'll go with the innocent until proven guilty thing. And unless you have something more substantial, I don't want to shoulder liability risk. And if you think that can't happen, ask the free ranged chicken.