[Gaming] Dead by Daylight (currently free weekend on Steam))

So the past few days as I mentioned over in the what are you playing thread, I've been obsessed with Dead By Daylight. I realize I'm like three years late to this party, but the best part of starting now is getting to benefit from all the stuff that's been added.

So, for those that don't know, DBD is an asymmetrical multiplayer survival match in which 4 players take the role of horror movie survivors trying to escape the map, and one person plays a killer trying to capture and sacrifice them. The way this plays out is the survivors need to repair four generators located around the map to power an exit gate while trying to avoid the killer. The killer wants to chase them away from the generators to slow their progress, and injure the survivors enough to allow you to pick them up and hang them on a sacrificial hook. Survivors can rescue their fellow survivors off hooks, but the third time someone is hooked is usually an instant kill.

Each character, survivor and killer, has unique skills and different loadouts available, and leveling one character enough will unlock the ability to train their unique skills to other characters.

I normally do not like competitive online games, but I'm loving this. Maybe it's because it's honestly not all that competitive in nature. I've enjoyed playing killer the most, but an important thing to know about killer is that you are probably going to lose. Or at least know that you have no clearly defined win state outside of no one escapes, which is nearly impossible. The game is stacked in favor of the survivors. It's their game to win, as the killer you are there to be the bad guy, almost like a DM. As a killer I can usually expect to kill one of them (horror movie rules, at least one of the teens is going to die) and if I manage to kill two that's a pretty even game. 3 is great, and if I manage to kill all 4 it's a combination of playing extremely well and getting extremely lucky (or the survivors screwing up majorly).

The main reason for this post, other than to encourage people to try the game I like, is to inform that if you want to buy it, I highly recommend buying the Stranger Things bundle that's currently on sale for the next few days. The stranger things license is expiring, so after that no one will be able to buy the stranger things characters any more but those that already have them can continue to play them. The bundle includes two survivors, Nancy and Steve, and a killer in the form of the Demogorgon. All three of these are pretty fun, though once they are removed from the store their individual perks will become available to all other characters just like if you had leveled them up.

Also, would anyone be willing to play this together? It's pretty much the only way I'll ever be coerced into playing survivor

I've always been curious about the game, but it's also an online game, which...yeah, that's almost never my thing.

But any interest I had in the game was killed when they jumped on the NFT train.

Yeah, they got rightly review bombed for that. But companies are going to keep burning down the planet if it means a minor increase in profits.

As for online games, I'm normally the same way, but I'm finding DBD to be surprisingly chill. Maybe because there isn't a true win state. As a survivor sure, you want to escape. But it's a given that probably at least one survivor will die. If you die but your team escapes, is that a win? If everyone dies then hey, you've got a happy killer. And as Killer if teams have played well but I've still managed to snag the last survivor, I'll often let them go. I got my points, consider this an honorable mercy. To which they'll usually wave and buttdance and go find the escape hatch.

Alright, for anyone that wants to play this game, here's some tips on how to play survivor, coming from someone who plays almost 100% killer:

As a survivor, your ultimate goal is to collectively repair 5 generators on the map to power the exit gate (of which there are two) and escape. There are two main parts of succeeding this: actually repairing generators and chase.

Chase is the main mechanic of the game and you're gonna have to get good at it. Eventually the killer is going to find you and chase you. While being chased, your goal isn't to get away, against a good killer that's almost impossible unless you manage to mindgames him. Your goal is to waste his time, because while he's chasing you he's not stopping the rest of the survivors or patrolling generators. The killer is faster than you so in a straight line he will catch you, but you are more nimble. Survivors have the ability to vault over low walls and through windows, killers move through these much slower. You also have the ability to knock over pallets to stop him, or stun him if you drop them on him, but know that these are limited resources. The killer can opt to take a few seconds to destroy the pallet and then it's gone.

So typically you want to loop the killer through tight spaces and make it take as long as possible. If you've been getting chased for two minutes a newer player might think they're doing poorly but that's actually great, that's enough time for the other survivors to take a generator.

Chase ends when either the killer gives up (which if you've found a good loop they should) or you get caught. Getting downed means the killer is going to pick you up and take you to a sacrificial hook. You can be hooked twice before the next hook is an instant death, so if you are still on your first hook this isn't even a big deal. You'll hang there until your team comes to rescue you, and you've got a long time you can hang before your sacrifice countdown is up.

If the killer has hooked one of your team and is camping that hook, just go keep doing gens. Force him to leave the hook to stop you, or if you are when a coordinated group get him to chase someone while another goes in for the save.

Once you understand this basic dynamic, survivor isn't really all that hard. Don't sweat it if you get sacrificed, if your friends except take solace that it wasn't a total loss. It's a horror game, some people have to die.

One more thing: health states. As survivor you have three health states, healthy, injured and down.

While healthy, getting hit from the killer will reduce you to injured. When a killer hits a survivor he has to pause and gloat for a moment (horror movie rules) where as a survivor you get a momentary speed boost, so taking a hit will usually give you enough time to get away. Another survivor can heal you from injured, or you can heal yourself by applying a medkit if you are carrying one. While injured your character makes more noise that the killer might hear. You also leave blood trails that the killer could follow.

Getting hit while injured puts you into the downed state. A survivor can help you up and return you to injured but it takes about 20 seconds, or you yourself can recover naturally after about a minute. You can crawl while downed. Usually the killer will pick you up now to be put on a hook, but if there isn't one nearby you could potentially struggle out, which will stun the killer long enough for you to get away.

I played a round as the Demigorgon and it was less annoying than I remember. Actually I wiped out the whole team.

I want to play a few more rounds before I decide to drop money on the killer pack though.
If you don't mind grinding, all of the killers in that pack can be earned through in-game currency, only the licensed kilelrs are real money only

One thing I've forgotten that I cant remember or seem to find info for the life of me, is that the different aura colors mean when you're playing killer. Is a red aura generator one that hasn't been repaired yet? Is a yellow aura'd generator one that's already been fully repaired? Mind, I'm not talking about the physical color, but the color of the generator you see as killer when you see them at a distance across the map.

One thing I've forgotten that I cant remember or seem to find info for the life of me, is that the different aura colors mean when you're playing killer. Is a red aura generator one that hasn't been repaired yet? Is a yellow aura'd generator one that's already been fully repaired? Mind, I'm not talking about the physical color, but the color of the generator you see as killer when you see them at a distance across the map.
As the killer, red auras are objectives, meaning generators, the hatch (if you've discovered it), and hooks (if you're carrying a survivor). Orange marks event things, such as each map during this halloween event will have one orange generator and one orange hook to give bonuses. Yellow is hooks that you've used or generators that you've recently kicked. You won't know know if a generator is being interacted with by aura unless you have a perk that gives you that information, for example the pig has a perk that marks a regressed generator in white and it will turn back yellow when someone starts to repair it.

As the killer, red auras are objectives, meaning generators, the hatch (if you've discovered it), and hooks (if you're carrying a survivor). Orange marks event things, such as each map during this halloween event will have one orange generator and one orange hook to give bonuses. Yellow is hooks that you've used or generators that you've recently kicked. You won't know know if a generator is being interacted with by aura unless you have a perk that gives you that information, for example the pig has a perk that marks a regressed generator in white and it will turn back yellow when someone starts to repair it.

Yeah I was wondering because I spawned on a map that had a yellow aura generator already near me and I was like wtf.

Also, I can only damage generators that have been repaired in some way already, correct?

Yeah I was wondering because I spawned on a map that had a yellow aura generator already near me and I was like wtf.

Also, I can only damage generators that have been repaired in some way already, correct?
Yes. Only generators that have some progress can be kicked. When you kick it it will begin regressing, eventually getting back down to zero. Survivor's need to begin repairing it again to stop the regression.

A huge part of information in this game is in sound cues. You can hear when a generator is being repaired, and how close to completion it is by what it sounds like. You can also tell by the way it's running whether it's paused or regressing, a generator that's already regressing can't be kicked again. As a killer, one of the best things you can do when looking for survivors is to just go near the generators and listen, if it's silent you know there's probably no one there and you don't need to waste time actually checking.

Oh, and fully repaired generators no longer appear as an aura for you.

So, the latest two killers I've picked up and really enjoyed are Ghostface from Scream Fun World costume company, and Freddy Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street.

Freddy is fun because of his unique dream mechanics. His presence causes unnatural slumber, every 60 seconds the survivors will fall asleep and enter the dreamworld, or a hit from Freddy's claw will also make them fall asleep. They will stay there until another survivor can wake them or they fail a skill check and trigger a loud noise (or find an alarm clock, some of which are scattered around the dream world). Players not in the dream world can only see flickers of Freddy, he won't be fully visible until he's within very close range or if in the dreamworld they can see him normally. While in the dreamworld survivors can also fall into blood snares that Freddy can leave around the map, and Freddy has the power to teleport directly to generators, giving him a ton of map presence.

Ghostface, who is not any of the characters from the scream movies (though this idea is represented in another character, a band of teenagers who all don the same make to be a killer by the name of Legion) but is instead an entirely new killer to have donned the ghostface mask. He is all about stealth, and is able to hide his terror radius (something that tells survivors when you get close) as well as stalk prey to increase his lethality on them. As a survivor it's always a worry to run into ghostface out of nowhere, and as the killer this is the main idea, stalking around, grabbing people off of gens, maybe even taking a selfie or two along the way.

Just bumping this thread to remind anyone still interested that access to the stranger things characters before the license is pulled (thanks to Netflix opening up their own gaming division and deciding no one else gets their licenses.)

Steve and Nancy, and any cosmetic skins you might want for them, are available on the survivor side, though losing them basically only removes their skins since their survivor skills will be made available to the other survivors. The Demogorgon killer is getting the same treatment, where his passive perks are going to be available to the other killers, but since each killer has powers unique to them you will lose the ability to play as Demogorgon and use its powers if you don't purchase it before the 17th.

Okay while this isn't technically Dead by Daylight, I honestly was taken by surprise the fact that the Switch is getting a version of this genre, and it's Dragon Ball no less.

Well I got out of bronze, but the higher I go, the more insufferable and toxic the survivors get. What topped the cake earlier was a group of survivors that would follow me if I downed someone, bodyblocked me so I couldn't move, and then broke the hook I was trying to use, followed with a teabag. Fantastic.out of bronze.png

It seems to me that survivors shouldn't be able to do that, like there should still be an attack mechanic or something.
There is. I can still melee while holding someone, but when you melee as a killer, there's a windup between swings and unless a survivor is already injured, all getting hit will do is put them in an injured state and give them a burst of speed. It's not *too* bad if its just one dude doing it, but when it's two or three, it's annoying as hell. The game is heavily survivor biased, imo, which is great if you like playing rounds with your friends. Too bad we don't have 5 of us owning it where we could play a custom map against each other.

Hmm, I've been thinking about getting this, I'd no doubt be highly active in multiplayer. Just found out the Demogorgon is no longer in the game, though, and he was easily the character I was most excited about. If only someone had told me about this I'd have bought it sooner, now... Well, guess I'll pass. Too bad, really.

:awesome:

Hmm, I've been thinking about getting this, I'd no doubt be highly active in multiplayer. Just found out the Demogorgon is no longer in the game, though, and he was easily the character I was most excited about. If only someone had told me about this I'd have bought it sooner, now... Well, guess I'll pass. Too bad, really.

Owl get you for this

Well I got out of bronze, but the higher I go, the more insufferable and toxic the survivors get. What topped the cake earlier was a group of survivors that would follow me if I downed someone, bodyblocked me so I couldn't move, and then broke the hook I was trying to use, followed with a teabag. Fantastic.View attachment 39497
So, there are two perks as killer that can really punish this. Mad Grit is a legion perk that gives you no cooldown on your attack while carrying a survivor. Hitting someone while carrying will also pause the wiggle timer for 4 seconds.

Starstruck is a perk from The Trickster where, while carrying a surivvor, everyone in your terror radius is inflicted with exposed, meaning they go down in one hit regardless of their health state.
Post automatically merged:

Jokes on you, I've got stranger thing codes left so I can still get you the demogorgon. So ha!

It seems to me that survivors shouldn't be able to do that, like there should still be an attack mechanic or something.
What he's describing is a pretty common growing pain among baby killers. I encountered it too early on. As you get better it doesn't work as well because you know that you don't need to immediately pick up. If the other survivors are close by you're better off chasing them, either downing someone else or just forcing them to retreat so they can't attempt a flashlight save or a body block.

So despite being a horror game, DBD usually isn't actually scary. But there are some killers that change this. Michael Myers has a special item called scratched mirror he can use that turns him into that the community has dubbed "jump scare Myers". He moves slower than usual and doesn't get the building evil within power that normal Myers gets to one hit down someone, but he does lose his terror radius (meaning you can't hear him coming) and gains the ability to see you through walls.