Duke is officially back...for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Official: Duke Nukem Forever Coming From Gearbox Software

Gearbox has taken on finishing Duke Nukem Forever. I'm concerned because if this thing actually gets released, then Hell freezes over and all these girls will show up who promised to date me at that point, and I'm really, really married now.

In all seriousness (or as much as I can muster anyway), is this going to revive a franchise or land with a mighty thud of apathy?

C

Chibibar

I'll believe it when I have in installed on my HDD and playing it :)

It's sad that in the last 15 minutes I have seen more playable gameplay out of Duke Nukem Forever then I did over the last dozen years or so of it's supposed development. Gearbox really know what they are doing.

At this point, does it even matter, anymore? Duke Nuken 3-D, the last good Duke game, was over 15 years ago. The whole idea of Forever is a joke.

Plus, thanks to Yahtzee, our expectations are way, way too high.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most highly pirated games ever. People are curious about it because it's one big joke, but who actually wants to buy this any more?

M

Matt²

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the most highly pirated games ever. People are curious about it because it's one big joke, but who actually wants to buy this any more?
QFT

I'll believe it when I see it on Steam or in the store and don't give a shit enough to buy it or give it a second glance.

It's Official: Duke Nukem Forever Coming From Gearbox Software

Gearbox has taken on finishing Duke Nukem Forever. I'm concerned because if this thing actually gets released, then Hell freezes over and all these girls will show up who promised to date me at that point, and I'm really, really married now.

In all seriousness (or as much as I can muster anyway), is this going to revive a franchise or land with a mighty thud of apathy?
Haha! Awesome! Hail to the king baby!

I'll believe it when I actually see the game in the store. Even then, I probably won't care enough to play it.

I'm totally going to buy this (provided it does get released)... damn I loved playing through Duke Nukem 3D cooperatively with my buddies. It usually turned into more idiotic carnage than when we would play deathmatch.

I think the disappointment people are showing is hilarious. They obviously haven't read up on the history of what happened with this game--what they're seeing isn't 12+ years of work. Duke Nukem Forever was repeatedly torn down to be rebuilt from scratch by its own company; what anyone here is seeing is no more than 3+ years of work, like an average game's development.

C

crono1224

People actually think it has been in only 1 development for the whole 12 + years?

Personally the gameplay footage already looks nearly identical to Borderlands which to me, is a damn good thing.

Much to my amusement, he has no Health meter. Only an Ego meter.

From what I heard, even at the previous company it was started over a few times.
They first scrapped everything back when HL1 first came out, and they've been changing engines like crazy... that's pretty much why they never finished it.

Hopefully they do have 12 years worth of ideas though...

Yeah, on Youtube and other article areas, you'll see idiots in the Comments section who say "Wow, after 12 years I thought it'd look better".
I refused to believe people were that stupid... until I looked for myself.

Those fools are not worthy of Duke's awesomeness!

Like @lien said the main reason most people have been given is the constant change of engines/technology thanks to Carmack coming up with something new and snazzy every couple years.

Borderlands was a riot, though, if they can get the same humor into DNF it could really be something worth checking out.

The biggest worry I have right now is the environments. Maybe it was just me, but I liked DN3D because you were pretty much in sleazy cities and alien ships. Right now the environments look to much like Borderlands random deserts. I loved Borderlands, but I hope its not just Borderlands with Duke replacing all the classes.

It's pretty much just been announced though, so they have a lot of time to make it look right.

The biggest worry I have right now is the environments. Maybe it was just me, but I liked DN3D because you were pretty much in sleazy cities and alien ships. Right now the environments look to much like Borderlands random deserts. I loved Borderlands, but I hope its not just Borderlands with Duke replacing all the classes.

It's pretty much just been announced though, so they have a lot of time to make it look right.
I thought this at first too. I'm hoping there's more than just run and gun, too, like if I can seriously beat down one of those pig dudes with Duke's bare hands as that grapple moment led me to believe (up until he whipped the guns out) I will enjoy the hell out of this game.

Well, I didn't think I'd ever be saying this. I want to play Duke Nukem Forever when it comes out in the near future.

It looks like they're keeping a lot of the childish humor in, which is a good thing. It's getting hard to not get my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.