EA Needs to F*** off and die

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/09/origins-demartini-steam-sales-cheapen-intellectual-property/

EA's Senior Vice President of Global Ecommerce David DeMartini said that deep-discounting of games on Valve's Steam service "cheapens intellectual property" in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz. As head of EA's Origin digital distribution service, DeMartini suggested an alternative to Steam's approach in dealing with "aging inventory."

"We don't believe in the drop-it-down, spring-it-up, 75 percent off approach, but we've got something else that we do believe in that we'll be rolling out," he said, without revealing the company's plans outright.

DeMartini also commented on the company's recent announcement to waive distribution fees for crowd-funded titles, saying it was "the first thing Origin did that no one could complain about." Fully-funded games that hit Origin's virtual shelves will not be subject to the service's fees for the first 90 days.

He added, "We figured this is something we could do that is going to please the hardcore; it's going to please the independent development community."
You know what cheapens intellectual property, EA? Releasing shitty, unfinished games and giving the finger to customers who have the gall to complain about it.

In other news, I recently wiped my computer and installed Windows 8, so I will be pirating all future EA titles so that I can avoid having to install their shitty Origin bloatware.

EA can suck my dick.

But it's hard.... when they keep buying the good companies and IP... then whore it out and taunt you with DLCs.

The irony is that he's right. Discounting games does cheapen intellectual property - TO ITS PROPER FUCKING VALUE. He wisely left that part off.

I don't think Steam decides to do it on a whim without authorization with the game maker/publisher anyways. So his argument could eat shit, stop talking bad about Steam, you just want to create your own "Steam" and fleece your client while you scan their computers with their spyware.

As a more serious analysis, the issue is with how fucking lame a company they are. "Holy shit", the dudes in suits say, "only several million people are buying our second rate product at full MSRP. But six months later, several hundred thousand buy it at a heavily discounted rate. That's a potential loss of..." And they look over at the only functionally intelligent person in the room, the janitor, who answers in low, melodic, soothing tones, "several hundred thousand dollars."

There was a video where I posted that the majority of suits in EA aren't even knowledgeable of the field... they are just rejects from major banks... and you know how well that shit is going in America.... so when they apply their talents, they really don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Here's the video... a worthy watch.

Sure it talks about ME3... but it really goes into detail how TERRIBLE EA is... and how they aren't even making money doing this in the industry.

The relationship between price and sales is a little harder to nail down when you have what is essentially an unlimited supply with an incredibly low incremental production cost. If you give something away for nothing, people tend to value it at that.

Not a single of my Euros is ever gonna go to EA as long as I draw breath.Got robbed by them when I bought ME3 ( I bought all the ME games,btw) and now I am gonna steal back from them.
All other publishers that deserve it,will get my money,but EA? fuck em.

The relationship between price and sales is a little harder to nail down when you have what is essentially an unlimited supply with an incredibly low incremental production cost. If you give something away for nothing, people tend to value it at that.
Yeah, an unlimited supply is really a drawback for them because it means that after the initial investment is made back they can set almost any price they want and still make a profit...

The actual hard part is knowing when to drop the price...

And one day graphics won't be able to be improved in ways humans can perceive and then even the oldest game will still be playable to people that care about graphics... meaning that selling it for 5 bucks 10 years later = free money...

Not a single of my Euros is ever gonna go to EA as long as I draw breath.Got robbed by them when I bought ME3 ( I bought all the ME games,btw) and now I am gonna steal back from them.
All other publishers that deserve it,will get my money,but EA? fuck em.
Really? Robbed? :facepalm:

Nothing turns me on more than a woman in a power suit wearing heels. Yum.

But yeah... not those suits....

ElJuski

Staff member
I wish there was a graph that noted my disgust with that chick's teeth over how long I sat and watched that video

As for actions, I think Ubisoft s still a good lot above EA; as well as Activision. As for words, yeah, EA does reign supreme.
And, of course, they've killed the highest amount of fun/good IPs over the years.

As a long-time fan, I really want to buy the new Sim City game.

...but it's being released by EA.
Added at: 08:40
I'm not sure if we should encourage @Adam's charts. I've seen this happen before. It can only lead to bad things:

ElJuski

Staff member
I buy about one game a year. Sometimes two, sometimes three, sometimes half. These developers, they don't mean much to me.

ElJuski

Staff member
has it occurred to you guys that if you stop buying their games, AND stop pirating them, you'll show them that you don't want anything to do with them? I feel like doing neither is going to much more immensely improve your cause instead of being the kid sneaking the chocolate.

has it occurred to you guys that if you stop buying their games, AND stop pirating them, you'll show them that you don't want anything to do with them? I feel like doing neither is going to much more immensely improve your cause instead of being the kid sneaking the chocolate.
That's what I've been doing with ME3.

Can't do it alone though! One lost sale isn't hurting them much!