Elite: Dangerous

Necronic

Staff member
Anyone playing this? I installed it last night but didn't have time to really play more than the tutorial. So far though it looks amazing. Definitely something to get you through to the Star Citizens launch.

Necronic

Staff member
Played for a few hours tonight. Going to hit this HARD after Christmas.

Just as a note: there are 400 billion star systems.

And no, that wasn't a typo.

Here's a video of the beta, in case anyone else has gotten curious thanks to @Necronic's endorsement.

Oh, and it's about 45min long, and that's not a typo, either.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks neat. Not paying that much. And it's not even on steam, so I can't even say I'll get it when it goes on sale.

$60.oo for a beta? No thanks, maybe when it hits release if it can deliver on all the stuff it promises.

That huge grid would be more impressive if more than just a tiny bubble was available. It's not "look how big the universe is," it's "Look how big we hope we can make the universe, maybe, eventually, maybe."

Don't care. Was a HUUUUUGE fan of the original and the sequels, played them regularly. Loved exploring, hunting, trading...

Want want WANT.

Computer lacks even a HINT of enough wang, though.

I'd wait a few months dude.

I have the original games.

Never let the game auto dock for you....

NEVER.

I can't get it now, in any case... I'll need to upgrade to a quad-core system to start with, which is gonna require a new MoBo, which will PROBABLY require a new case.... you see where this route leads.

Would love to play this game. Sadly I'm with OC here, need to upgrade significantly to even suggest installing it. I would probably spend most of my time exploring anyways.
Kinda like the group of people that have settled on trying to do it that have a group set up on FB. They also have a group on Reddit, but haven't been able to find it yet.

FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/243036775900907/

Frontier pulls Elite Dangerous: Arena from sale
"has officially killed off Elite Dangerous: Arena as a standalone product, pulling the game from sale, but claims it has no plans to remove Arena functionality from the main game nor to prevent current Arena owners from playing."

--Patrick
Arena, for anyone wondering, was a stand-alone multiplayer battle mode that was one of the stretch goals of the original kickstarter. It was never popular, and simply never had the user base to really take off. Turns out that if people want to dogfight in Elite, they'd rather do it in the main game in their own ships.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think my issue with Elite Dangerous was the DLC pricing structure... I think? Something about having to re-buy the game over and over again? I don't remember.

Reactions: Jay
I think my issue with Elite Dangerous was the DLC pricing structure... I think? Something about having to re-buy the game over and over again? I don't remember.
They do "seasons" where you buy an expansion every year, and the expansion includes all of the (admittedly pretty significant) updates and added content for that year. It's not the best model, especially since the content of the expansion is delivered over a year's time, but it's their alternative to a subscription and how they continue to fund the game. I personally don't mind it, mostly because you don't need to buy the expansion if you don't want to, and there usually isn't a strong incentive to do so until they've added more that you want.

GasBandit

Staff member
They do "seasons" where you buy an expansion every year, and the expansion includes all of the (admittedly pretty significant) updates and added content for that year. It's not the best model, especially since the content of the expansion is delivered over a year's time, but it's their alternative to a subscription and how they continue to fund the game. I personally don't mind it, mostly because you don't need to buy the expansion if you don't want to, and there usually isn't a strong incentive to do so until they've added more that you want.
So say I buy it next year... do I have to buy all the previous years' season expansions, or does my late buy-in get me everything "so far?"

So say I buy it next year... do I have to buy all the previous years' season expansions, or does my late buy-in get me everything "so far?"
Since they've only had one expansion year so far, I'm not really sure. I would imagine they would have a 'complete pack' with everything rolled into one, but they've made questionable decisions in the past so who knows.

Dave

Staff member
You know what I like the most about Elite Dangerous as an MMO? The aliens are only recent and their intentions and abilities are completely unknown. Their inexplicable nature is precisely what it would probably be like if we encountered an actual alien race. At least, an alien race that doesn't seem to be too worried about us being a danger to them. ED explains NOTHING about them and it's the right thing to do.

You know what I like the most about Elite Dangerous as an MMO? The aliens are only recent and their intentions and abilities are completely unknown. Their inexplicable nature is precisely what it would probably be like if we encountered an actual alien race. At least, an alien race that doesn't seem to be too worried about us being a danger to them. ED explains NOTHING about them and it's the right thing to do.
They're also incredibly rare, in fact most players, if they aren't reading news or keeping up to date in the subreddit, will likely never encounter them.

There's also the fact that the developers are doing this correctly. They add stuff like this, and then don't tell anyone, and it's up to the players to stumble upon it