[Soccer] English Premier League Discussion Thread

For the first week, I'm predicting Liverpool will beat Southampton, with Rickie Lambert scoring the winning goal.

1.32 goals per game.

In the 20-plus years now that the Premier League has been in operation, the average number of goals scored per game has been 1.32.

If that was the runs per game total in baseball, there'd be a mutiny in the stands.

Study looks at the old cliche about bad luck / decisions evening themselves out over the course of a season. Unsurprisingly the answer seems to be that no it doesn't.

What is a surprise is that - despite what the article claims - Man Utd aren't the main benificiaries of bad decisions. They only gained 6 points "unfairly" compared to Leicester's 7. Liverpool on the other hand should have had an extra 12 points - 4 entire wins!

The idea about decisions not going well for teams at the bottom end of the table does seem to bear up though. Of the teams that finished in the bottom 6 none of them gained points & 5 of them had less point than they should.

I'd've thought that the number of goals scored over a season would provide far too small a sample to base any statistical claim on.

When a fan posts on Instagram calling for the manager to go & it's liked by the club captain there's something seriously wrong.

Has the student now become the master? Even during the worst of Fergie time Sir Alex never had a team win with a penalty awarded after the final whistle the way OGS has.

Fabian Delph has not been arrested for alleged child sex offences. This isn't sarcasm or a suspiciously specific denial or anything, just a statement of fact.

For context, it was announced earlier today that a Premier League player was arrested on suspicion of alleged child sex offences. In light of UK laws banning the naming of people who have only been arrested but not convicted of these offences the police did not name the player involved resorting to their usual standards of only confirming the age & gender of the individual under suspicion (in this instance "a 31 year old man has been arrested"). Everton FC would later confirm that it was one of their players who had been arrested & that he had been suspended by the club pending the police investigation. There are only two 31 year olds playing for Everton - Fabian Delph & Gylfi Siggurdson.

While it would be illegal for me to name which player was arrested there's no law saying that if someone hasn't been arrested for a given crime then I can't say that they haven't been arrested. So, yeah, Fabian Delph has not been arrested for alleged child sex offences.