[Gaming] Eternal, it's like magic meets hearthstone

https://www.eternalcardgame.com

I mentioned this in the what are you playing thread, but I wanted to make a new thread to bring attention to this game.

I started playing this game on the recommendation of a friend, and I'm now hooked. It's an online collectible card game, which are pretty popular right now, which was designed with a ton of pro magic players brought in for consultation and design. I know at least one of those was Brian Kibler, but he's the only magic player I know since I don't follow magic.

So what makes Eternal so great? It has the complexity of a game like magic combined with the sleek digital interface of hearthstone. I once tried playing magic online and hated it, but this feels great.

The business model is also extremely pro consumer, with packs given out like candy, making it very easy to progress and gain cards without having to pay real money. If also includes a real draft mode, with you drafting cards out of packs passed from actual player to player, and you can keep every card that you draft. I've found this mode a lot more fun and rewarding than arena in hearthstone.

If you like card games, give it a try. It's available on steam and Android, and I've been playing it on both. The mobile client has really hurt my work productivity, but since I'm posting here from work right now that's not all that new.

Alright Poe. I'll do it.

But if I get fired, this is your fault. Your fault. fault. fault. fault. fault.

fhorrigan+8631

It's very, very Hearthstoney so far. I do like getting the choice to block like Magic.

Jesus, it took two games before they decided that drawing 15 sigil cards in a row (no exaggeration) was the way to go.

Already frustrating like real Magic, except I've never drawn that many lands in a row.

Jesus, it took two games before they decided that drawing 15 sigil cards in a row (no exaggeration) was the way to go.

Already frustrating like real Magic, except I've never drawn that many lands in a row.
That's very unlikely, but it can happen. The way mulligans work in this game are semi-smart. Your opening hand is mostly random, but is never allowed to have no mana or all mana, and if you choose to mulligan and redraw, your new hand is gauranteed to have 2, 3 or 4 starting mana, with an equal chance of each.

When going through the starting campaign, the starter decks they give you aren't great, but they can be made pretty decent with just a little fiddling.

I literally cannot figure out how to type in that chat box.[DOUBLEPOST=1491786188,1491786143][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, it's because you are not online. That makes sense I guess.

Seems like a neat game. Went through the tutorial campaign and aced the first Forge. I like the MtG-ish flavor, I'll play it these next few evenings and see if I get tired of it.

My only bag is the art seems like cheap Blizzard knock-off art. Wish they went more in the MtG style (or even better, MtG from a decade ago when they were more experimental, but WAY less amateur than MtG from 20 years ago).

10 years ago:

Recent (safe unified realistic art style):

Dave

Staff member
I played a couple of games and said, "Yeah, it's Hearthstone."

I stopped playing. I don't hate card games like that, I just don't particularly like them either.

It's way more similar to Magic than Hearthstone in it's mechanics. Visually, it's the most blatant Hearthstone ripoff ever.

I played a couple of games and said, "Yeah, it's Hearthstone."

I stopped playing. I don't hate card games like that, I just don't particularly like them either.
The mechanics are WAY more magic inspired than HS. There's quite a bit more complexity, and the simple fact that attackers don't choose what to attack drastically changes the game.

I'm really loving it. Grinding Gauntlet so I can earn enough gold for the second campaign, then I feel like I can venture into actual pvp.

Time seems like the easiest one to handle with the base cards.

I'm really loving it. Grinding Gauntlet so I can earn enough gold for the second campaign, then I feel like I can venture into actual pvp.

Time seems like the easiest one to handle with the base cards.
The second campaign doesn't really have a ton of cards that often used. If you're going to spend gold on it, that gold could probably be better spent on forge or draft. But you do earn gold at a decent rate, so it's an option.

Good call on this - way way better than hearthstone, and close enough to magic that the improved client/interface more than makes up any gap in quality. Going to be playing a bunch more.

It really really bugs me that I can't attack with creatures that do not deal damage. I guess it's because there's no Defender/Wall status (so your 0/6 wall can attack if it gets +1/+1). It forces you to cast any Fast spells buffing your creatures before you declare attacks, effectively forcing your hand (say I have a +4/Lifesteal card and two 0/2 creatures, and the enemy has one blocker).

Other than that, really liking the game.

I am CERTAIN the AI cheats in Gauntlet sometimes.

Getting 4 of the exact same kill card it needs in a row. When this happens once in 20 games, maybe.

Not this often though.

It really really bugs me that I can't attack with creatures that do not deal damage. I guess it's because there's no Defender/Wall status (so your 0/6 wall can attack if it gets +1/+1). It forces you to cast any Fast spells buffing your creatures before you declare attacks, effectively forcing your hand (say I have a +4/Lifesteal card and two 0/2 creatures, and the enemy has one blocker).

Other than that, really liking the game.

I actually saw this mentioned on one of the forums (I guess magic allows you to attack with 0 attack minions? I don't know much about magic) and the devs mentioned this was a specific design choice.

I actually saw this mentioned on one of the forums (I guess magic allows you to attack with 0 attack minions? I don't know much about magic) and the devs mentioned this was a specific design choice.
That's a bummer, I like the bluffing that comes with 0-strength minion attacks. Yeah. In Magic, unless a minion has a property, enchantment, or effect in play specifically preventing it from attacking, it can.

For example:

There's nothing quite as rage inducing as losing three times in a row in a draft because you didn't draw a single land beyond the 2 the fucking redraw gave me EVERY time. My favorite was the second game where it gave me two time mana cards and ALL fire cards. Then laughed at me while I drew the fire half of the deck.

The redraw is my biggest complaint. It can completely fuck you and leave you helpless. I know they're trying to be different than Magic, but Magic's mulligan rule is 1000 times better.

My deck was 40% mana cards. Well beyond the minimum 3rd requirement.

What a waste of 5000 gold.

Game 1: Well, this is an anomaly for sure.

Game 2: That was statistically improbable. But man, this deck should be fine.

Game 3: FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU! RAGE CONCEDE AND WALK OUT OF THE ROOM.

Last edited:
I really like this game, but I too have to chime in with the "the balance on this game is a bunch of bullshit" crowd. I am so sick of never seeing a unit card outside of my initial draw - or, conversely, never seeing a power card outside of my initial draw. I'm not asking for a miraculous draw wherein I can play every card in my hand with only the power that was in it - hell, I'm not even really complaining about the initial draw or the new (re)draw rules - I'm sick of the bullshit feast or famine that comes after that initial draw.

Grinding out a bit of gold for draft in gauntlet.

This game made me laugh out loud.

Go fuck yourself redraw.

Untitled.jpg

I lost without drawing another power card.

The first hand was 6 sigils and the 1 power drop that grants you an extra power.

Last edited:
So, I'm back trying it again a bit. I've run into another problem as of late.

Slow players.

YOU'VE ALREADY ATTACKED AND HAVE 1/5 POWER LEFT. WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE FUCKING CONTEMPLATING!!? Ok, let the fuse almost run out. Every turn. Sure. Ok.

So, I'm back trying it again a bit. I've run into another problem as of late.
Slow players.
YOU'VE ALREADY ATTACKED AND HAVE 1/5 POWER LEFT. WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE FUCKING CONTEMPLATING!!? Ok, let the fuse almost run out. Every turn. Sure. Ok.
Cranky has the same complaint about Hearthstone. My take is that it's actually a strategy...if you're not doing well, try to get the other player to quit entirely out of the frustration of waiting for your turn to finish.

--Patrick

I might have been able to keep playing hearthstone if 80% of my games didn't play out that way. At least in Eternal it's been a rarity so far.

Also man Icaria Blue is hilarious to play. Love it.

I just got Master in ranked. I really like how many decks are viable in this game - I was switching between a few to climb, and there are quite a few others that I just don't have the dust for yet.

I can't get anywhere in ranked. I don't have enough good cards to match anything I've come across.

I can only make half-assed versions of all the decks.

I made a point of crafting one reasonably top-tier deck and used it to push towards others. There are some relatively cheap, competitive decks - I used burn queen before the nerf, but I'm winning more than I lose with a janky time/justice thing I put together that doesn't depend on any legendaries, too. If nothing else, aggro decks will steal wins against bad draws pretty frequently if you're playing well.