Favorite foods/drinks they don't make anymore

Are there any foods or drinks you really wish were still around? For me, it's Snapple Elements. Everything about those drinks screamed 1999 (one of my favorite years). In the age when everything had to have "X-TREME!" added to titles, they had flavor names like Velocity, Meteor, and Turbulence. This was the kind of beverage that dot-com startups served in their cafeterias.

Oh friend, do I EVER.

When Frito-Lays bought the Canadian Hostess chips in the 90s, we lost these:

1644300308364.png

They were replaced by Ruffles. Ruffles are and have always been infinitely inferior to O'Ryan's. I will never forgive Lays for taking the best potato chip in the world away.

I will never forgive Lays for taking the best potato chip in the world away.
Yes, Frank. We know. :)
Ruffles are shit compared to the once great ultimately crunchy O'Ryan's. I was pondering today how a sack of O'Ryan's got me through the chicken pox. My throat was so itchy from the sores lining it that I was swallowing huge chunks of the immensely thick chips to scratch it. Good times.
--Patrick

There used to be this ice tea brand in Taiwan that made an amazing mint ice tea, but they don't any more. I miss that tea, it was incredibly refreshing on hot days (which is like 170 days of the year in Taiwan).

Also my mom used to make amazing egg tarts but one day she lost the recipe and couldn't make them any more. I haven't had any for like the last 25 years and I still miss them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Does it count if the food still technically exists but they changed the formula so it doesn't taste as good as it used to? Looking at YOU, Rolos.

And the lime Skittle would have been on here too, but they brought it back.

1644332983251.png

ALDI cereal kinda like Quakers muesli but with chocolate and coconut, and more sugar - it was situated kind of in between the "boring" adult muesli/granola/etc and the "sugary" kid cereals.

When they discontinued this, I kid you not, ALDI saw their gross drop by almost 10% - it took literally years to completely recover. Not because this single cereal was 10% of their turnover, of course, but it turns out it was one of their biggest loss leaders. Kids were always asking/begging for breakfast cocain Kwakies and when this disappeared, children were angry with Aldi and parents no longer had a reason to go there over other discount supermarkets.
They re-introduced them 5-6 years later, but with another recipe, and of course all the children who were into it had moved on and the new generation didn't have any attachment.

Does it count if the food still technically exists but they changed the formula so it doesn't taste as good as it used to? Looking at YOU, Rolos.
This so much for Honeycomb! I bought some a a while back, expecting to live the glory days of my youth. And it tasted like wet cardboard. I thought maybe it was just me growing up, but I searched the internet and found confirmation that the formula had changed.

GasBandit

Staff member
On that note... NyQuil and DayQuil. Meth heads ruin everything for everybody >_< In the 90s these were a sure fire way to get over any non-life-threatning respiratory illness FAST. But then the law said anything with pseudoephedrine had to go "behind the counter" and you had to sign a registry when you bought them, and Vicks decided they'd rather change the formula than risk the impact to sales so that the bottles could stay out on the shelves. Now they barely do anything.

Lay's curry chips.
They existed... 15 years ago? Then disappeared.

They've done butter chicken chips since then. Nope. Not right.
Now they have 'magic masala' which is closer, but not the same!!!!! Too sweet and too tomato-y.

I want my curry chips back.

On that note... NyQuil and DayQuil. Meth heads ruin everything for everybody >_<
For me this was Vicks Formula 44-D and the old orange Triaminic.
And yes, just the ability to walk in and buy a 100ct bottle of pseudoephedrine without being treated like a criminal.

--Patrick

Y'know, I almost posted about Lay's too. The Smiths chips that were replaced with Lay's (yeah, don't ask me why their original name in Belgium was already an English-sounding name), were generally considered to be far better. Replacing the "salt" with "naturel" chips only made it worse. Trying to re-make the paprika chips into something that tasted like the vegetable rather than the spice was also a big bad move. And they've retired some dozen or so tastes since.
I didn't because, well, I don't really ever eat any chips myself. But if my wife had an account she'd now have posted 25 posts about Lay's and their evil ways :rofl:

GasBandit

Staff member
Also they dramatically changed the formula for Shark Bites fruit snacks.

And I'm pretty sure they did the same for fruit roll-ups.

On that note... NyQuil and DayQuil. Meth heads ruin everything for everybody >_< In the 90s these were a sure fire way to get over any non-life-threatning respiratory illness FAST. But then the law said anything with pseudoephedrine had to go "behind the counter" and you had to sign a registry when you bought them, and Vicks decided they'd rather change the formula than risk the impact to sales so that the bottles could stay out on the shelves. Now they barely do anything.
Back in those times, I was still a super in-shape serious martial artist that used an ECA stack in my workouts. I totally stocked me up a whole cabinet like an end-times prepper before the banhammer came down.

The Three Cheese Melt from Taco Bell in the 90s introduced me to pepperjack cheese.

I already miss Costco's $1.50 polish dog and soda

My brother and I loved these things. We could eat multiple bags of these in one sitting without flinching.
doritos 3d jalapeno cheddar.png

I don't know if I'd call them a "favourite" drink or even one I liked. I think I tried a bottle once and didn't like it. But friends in high school loved, loved, LOVED Orbitz.

Orbitzsoda.jpg

The Three Cheese Melt from Taco Bell in the 90s introduced me to pepperjack cheese.

I already miss Costco's $1.50 polish dog and soda
Taco Bell has done away with a few of my favorites: The Bell Beefer, the Enchirito, the beef MexiMelt, and tostadas. :(

I really miss these from my childhood:
1644419264859.png

aykm28s55gs11.jpg

I remember inhaling these as a kid. In reality they were probably syrupy sugary shit, either way the Koolaid versions that are sold now don't hit the same as my memory.