[Soccer] FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland,

News article:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048

Department of Justice statement:
http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nine-...ecutives-indicted-racketeering-conspiracy-and

Long story short, a bunch of FIFA officials have just been arrested by Swiss police, and FIFA headquarters in Zurich have been raided, in an investigation into corruption related to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids. They're facing extradition to the US, and a federal criminal indictment.

FIFA held a press conference in which they basically said "We're just as surprised as you guys are! Those naughty boys! Also, the World Cups are still going to be held in Russia and Qatar."

Hahahaha :rofl:Russia and Qatar. I already knew (well, only about Qatar) but really, if this were fiction we would say it's too obvious and over the top, or satire or something.

Shocked indeed. Who'd have even thought such things...

Also:

That whole organization, as well as the european UEFA, should be castamered. Maybe, at least or a little while, something better will rise out of a newly build organization with all new personell.
Same goes for Olympic Committees, of course.

Probably not. Of course, I doubt the Swiss know what the "SEC" is.

Other than the bankers, who might know about that quaint quasi-legal body that "regulates" stock trading.

Apparently Nike could be mixed up in this problem as well. That's not going to be good for a lot of my friends and relatives down in Beaverton - but hey, maybe universities and pro sports franchises will be able to design their own uniforms again. Yeah... not really an appropriate consolation.

Apparently Nike could be mixed up in this problem as well. That's not going to be good for a lot of my friends and relatives down in Beaverton - but hey, maybe universities and pro sports franchises will be able to design their own uniforms again. Yeah... not really an appropriate consolation.
Or any of FIFA's partners really. What happens if they find an incriminating email or something during discovery involving EA?

I am obviously NOT a soccer fan. I have seen headlines with FIFA and corruption, and thought it was just another U.S. government agency. I just said to myself, "Duh, of course they're corrupt."

The election for the FIFA presidency is later today. Blatter was originally slated to win (and still is, I think) but a significant number of national associations have come out and declared their support for his opponent, Prince Ali of Jordan. These include most (or pretty much all) of Europe, as well as the USA and Canada. Still don't think they have enough votes to topple Blatter, because he still controls the votes from Asia and Africa, but we'll see.

Michel Platini, the head of UEFA, is coming out with all guns blazing at Blatter, because he's never made it a secret that he's wanted the FIFA presidency for years. Platini's probably just as corrupt though...

GasBandit

Staff member
but a significant number of national associations have come out and declared their support for his opponent, Prince Ali of Jordan.

MAKE WAY FOR PRINCE ALI
SAY HEY IT'S PRINCE ALI

Hey! Clear the way, in the old FIFA
Hey you! Let him through! He's the bright new star!
Oh come, be the first on your block to meet his eye.
Make way, here he comes, ring the bells, bang the drums,
Are you gonna love this guy!

Prince Ali, fabulous he, Ali of Jordan!
Cast your vote, that's all she wrote, there'll be no more.
Now try your best to stay clean,
Cause America's causing a scene
And corruption's on it's way right out the front doooooooor.

Prince Ali, mighty is he, Ali of Jordan!
The most straight, others don't rate, naturally.
Completely incorrigible.
Owns his own dirigible!
The indefatigable, Prince ALI!

He's got seventy five golden camels
Purple peacocks, he's got fifty three
If he wants it, he's got it already.
I mean really, how do you even try to bribe royalty?!

Prince Ali, handsome is he, Ali of Jordan!
Association Football needs one just like he.
You'll never get any reform
From that old Blatter gorm
So come on over and VOTE for Prince Ali!

He's got ninety five white persian monkeys
And to see them he charges no fee
He's got slaves, he's got servants and flunkies
But at least none of them work currently in the international football industry!

Prince Ali!

Prince Ali, virtuous he, Ali of Jordan
Heard your association needed a brand new big cheese
And that, good people, is why
He got dolled up and dropped by
With sixty elephants, llamas galore, with his bears and lions, a brass band and more, with his forty fakirs, his cooks and bakers, his birds that warble on key!
So VOOOOOTE! for PRINCE! A-LIIIIIIIII!

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Well fooey, after all that, Prince Ali withdrew, and Blatter gets a 5th term. Not that I knew who either of these people were before yesterday.

Suddenly, I see the US National Team and the Swiss - if they manage to get through the Euro tournament to qualify - being placed in 2018 in the same group with Germany and Italy. In the first game, half the US team gets yellow carded in the first 10 minutes. When Tim Howard yells at the ref, he gets a red card, and the opposing team scores 20 goals because they're not allowed to swap out the goaltender.

What fantastic choices... a corrupt French old guy who doesn't know what the fuck he's saying (he didn't even prep a speech or bothered in any way to get re-elected) and some Arab Prince.

Jeeeeez..... FIFA are you even trying?

Can't wait for John Oliver this week. It will be glorious.