Fitness Challenges 2023

Does anyone have a fitness goal or challenge that you are trying to meet this year?

I may post some additional goals later, but my are:
  • Track my total miles for the year. I keep track of individual rides, but it has been a few years since I kept track of my yearly total.
  • Average 10 miles (16.1km) per day for the entire year.

Bonus Goal: Ride at least one imperial century (100 miles / 161 km).

I'll need to discuss specific goals with my therapist, but at the very least, I want to get back into doing DDP Yoga on a regular basis. I've started doing it again in the past week. Today, I did the 30-minute Fat Burner workout, which left me dripping sweat. Hopefully, I can keep up with it because man, I feel amazing after doing it.

I'd also really like to get back into biking more. I haven't biked as much since work moved offices and the bike ride there is maybe 7 minutes if I'm lucky. I've been walking to work every day since. I don't know if I'll see about finding a different, longer route, or just find time to bike more when I'm not working.

My overarching goal is to keep it slow and steady so tendinitis doesn't get in my way. Also do more prehab work. If I'm lucky maybe I'll be able to start working on levers again.

Oh, also work on my lower back. Getting older sucks.

I've got the Disney Princess 10K at the end of February. Doing a Disney run has been on my bucket list for over a decade, but I never thought I'd be able to do more than 5K. I've been doing 10K Fridays (in addition to 4 mile Mondays and Wednesdays) to prepare, so now I'm just trying to stay healthy and in shape to make this happen!

I also need to start doing DDP Yoga again, along with some weight training and getting on the exercise bike. I just want to lose all the weight I gained back over the pandemic (which would help a lot, because although still obese, I felt a helluva lot better at that weight) and then get back on track to lose the rest.

I don't have a specific goal yet. I need one though. I have started working out again since the beginning of December. Taking it sort of easy. Not trying to burn out or set too high of a goal. I am the heaviest I have ever been which really sucks since I was down to 195ish in late 2019.
Right now my goal is to get workouts to become part of my routine daily. At
least 20-30 minutes. Then, work on some food goals.

Good luck everyone!

My wife and I have a contest before we leave for Mexico on Feb 5. The one who loses the most % of weight compared to their original on November 1st gets a weekend away by themselves.

We're both crushing it. She's hardcore into weights and strength training and it's showing, I'm running again (on treadmill as it's still damn cold here) but it's at least once a day if not twice. Now that I'm back to work and the kids are back in school, it's even easier to get the steps in.

I suspect she's in the lead at the moment as we've both lost roughly the same amount, but I also have the capacity to starve myself for two weeks to get myself across the finish line, haha. More than anything, I just like feeling a bit better than I have since COVID started.

I need to lose weight. A lot of weight. Currently at almost 270lbs at 5'10'' feet tall. Then I need better cholesterol levels and blood pressure on my next annual doctor's visit.
Currently taking a prescription for the blood pressure, but for some reason my doctor doesn't feel statins are needed for the cholesterol just yet. Either way the best thing for me is diet and excercise.
Diet wise my problem is I eat whenever I'm nervous or just sitting around, especially around other people. When we have people over for board games, or even when I have my daughter over for visits I'm always wanting to nom on something.
For the exercise I'm trying Fitness Boxing on the switch. A 30+ minute workout a day. Then I go for a 40-60 minute walk.
Diet wise I'm trying to stick to some microwavable meals with clear calorie counts so I can better keep myself around 1600-1800 calories a day.
The workout I've managed to keep up with so far this week. The diet not so much as I'm still feeling like I'm hungry all the time.

If you want a fun workout, and it REALLY works you if you put it on the right setting, try Nintendo 's Ring Fit Adventure for the Switch. Our family is doing it, and it's great!

If you want a fun workout, and it REALLY works you if you put it on the right setting, try Nintendo 's Ring Fit Adventure for the Switch. Our family is doing it, and it's great!
I really enjoyed the Ring Fit. But my gimp knee didn't. There's a lot of jogging in that thing, and my bad knee just quit on me a couple of weeks or so into it. My knee's always been bad due to a childhood accident, but it's worse now that I'm older and it's more worn out.

I'm aware that there's less impactful things you can do, but I didn't consider it when I started...and once the knee gave out, I couldn't even do squats and such, so I put it away and haven't picked it back up. I guess now that some time has passed, I should look into it and just low-impact from the get-go.

I really enjoyed the Ring Fit. But my gimp knee didn't. There's a lot of jogging in that thing, and my bad knee just quit on me a couple of weeks or so into it. My knee's always been bad due to a childhood accident, but it's worse now that I'm older and it's more worn out.

I'm aware that there's less impactful things you can do, but I didn't consider it when I started...and once the knee gave out, I couldn't even do squats and such, so I put it away and haven't picked it back up. I guess now that some time has passed, I should look into it and just low-impact from the get-go.
The best part for me is that you can customize it to fit... whatever you're up for, really. The more you do it, the more you can change it to whatever you need or don't need. It's hard to avoid the "running" segments, but they can at least be adjusted to your own pace.

Diet wise I'm trying to stick to some microwavable meals with clear calorie counts so I can better keep myself around 1600-1800 calories a day.
The workout I've managed to keep up with so far this week. The diet not so much as I'm still feeling like I'm hungry all the time.
Going down to 16-1800 calories seems like a pretty aggressive deficit, given you're at 270 lbs. Not that it's unheard of or anything, just remember it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. At 270 you should see steady weight loss eating at around 2200 for a good while, though obviously not as fast, and it should be a little easier on you mentally.

Two weeks to go!
I am very, very proud of myself that I've been able to keep this up. I was never a runner for most of my life, and I never thought I could keep up a schedule and a pace like I have. That being said, I am DEFINITELY looking forward to not having to run 10K every Friday, and go back to shorter runs (3-4 miles). It eats less time out of my day.

Two weeks to go!
I am very, very proud of myself that I've been able to keep this up. I was never a runner for most of my life, and I never thought I could keep up a schedule and a pace like I have. That being said, I am DEFINITELY looking forward to not having to run 10K every Friday, and go back to shorter runs (3-4 miles). It eats less time out of my day.

I lost a month or so due to Covid, lately I've started gearing back up. Also back to counting calories because I'd like to lose some weight before a summer trip, we'll see if I can maintain the discipline to not pig out :p

Just set my personal record of 29:57 for the 5K run. That's a pretty significant milestone for me; I've never actually completed it outside. Usually it's on the treadmill and only have I broke 30 minutes three times.
28:51 Personal Best. Perfect conditions (Not too hot, slight wind, decent caffeine on board, hydrated, and steroid inhaler took at the right time).

Felt good. keep goooooing!

Another milestone -- passed 4000 km (2485 miles) for the year

Given that we aren't halfway into the year yet, 8000 km is now in the conversation for my year total.

New milestone this week -- passed 3000 miles for the year. I'm still about 76 days ahead of schedule. Summer can be a bit of a challenge with both the heat and the rain. I'd like to start training for another ultra-distance ride soon, but it's going to be hard doing that until I get a little break from the weather.

I should have the next milestone, 5000 km, soon at least.

Passed my original goal 3650 miles (5874km), 89 days ahead of schedule. I was hoping to make it by the end of the day on September 30th, but weather and schedule got in the way.