Former President Trump Thread

I can't find the tweet again, but there was one about how when Trump was decrying the media (again), the crowd cheered for him and boo'd CNN, but only while the cameras were on. Afterward, they went up to the CNN anchor asking for autographs and his advice/opinions.

The theory running around is that these were individuals paid to show Trump support, but that reeks of the same victim actor BS that came up about the Parkland protests. That said, I don't have my own counter-theory. I have no idea why people would behave like brainwashed idiots on camera, then behave as reasonably interested/concerned afterward.

The theory running around is that these were individuals paid to show Trump support, but that reeks of the same victim actor BS that came up about the Parkland protests. That said, I don't have my own counter-theory. I have no idea why people would behave like brainwashed idiots on camera, then behave as reasonably interested/concerned afterward.
It's simple really, it's team mentality. It has been for awhile. To some, it's not really about the politics, it's just more important that the team is supported, and preferably, wins.

For the best example, look at sports. When you are at the arena, watching the game, you cheer for the favorite team. When Homer "Touchdown" McDunk, the star player of the other team, is put into the game, you boo him because him existing means less chances for your team to win. You cheer every time your team scores, while you boo whenever they score. The game ends, and you decide to head to the grocery store. Who happens to be in line next to you, why it's Homer "Touchdown" McDunk! "Can I have your autograph?" you say, because the game is over and you no longer are in the mode of decrying the other team as you are now being in awe of his star power.

Of course there are the really gung-ho fans that would probably spit on him for being anywhere near them, but I am speaking more about the general audiance and why they get swept up in those chants and the fervor of Trump. It's not even that they agree with what he says, but it does not matter because when he says it, you cheer to support him because he is "your guy".

I hate it but this is the world we live in now.

It's simple really, it's team mentality. It has been for awhile. To some, it's not really about the politics, it's just more important that the team is supported, and preferably, wins.

For the best example, look at sports. When you are at the arena, watching the game, you cheer for the favorite team. When Homer "Touchdown" McDunk, the star player of the other team, is put into the game, you boo him because him existing means less chances for your team to win. You cheer every time your team scores, while you boo whenever they score. The game ends, and you decide to head to the grocery store. Who happens to be in line next to you, why it's Homer "Touchdown" McDunk! "Can I have your autograph?" you say, because the game is over and you no longer are in the mode of decrying the other team as you are now being in awe of his star power.

Of course there are the really gung-ho fans that would probably spit on him for being anywhere near them, but I am speaking more about the general audiance and why they get swept up in those chants and the fervor of Trump. It's not even that they agree with what he says, but it does not matter because when he says it, you cheer to support him because he is "your guy".

I hate it but this is the world we live in now.
Is it really a surprise? For 12 years I went to schools where academics and being good in classes were denigrated and being good at sports and showing school spirit were held up as the ultimate examples of all that was good and holy. Seriously. From admin all the way down to individual teachers and coaches - being too good in classes was looked down upon and every one of my teachers tried to get me to spend less time studying and more time in sports. Even my favorite teacher was guilty of it. We've spent decades (at least) trying to get dumber students out of schools who are better at sports.

Is it really a surprise? For 12 years I went to schools where academics and being good in classes were denigrated and being good at sports and showing school spirit were held up as the ultimate examples of all that was good and holy. Seriously. From admin all the way down to individual teachers and coaches - being too good in classes was looked down upon and every one of my teachers tried to get me to spend less time studying and more time in sports. Even my favorite teacher was guilty of it. We've spent decades (at least) trying to get dumber students out of schools who are better at sports.
If it makes you feel any better, I promise you there’s at least one teacher out there who tells the kids that their academics are more important than extra curricular activities. But I know what you’re describing is still quite common.

Well, Lebron James is a legit good guy who does above and beyond what 99.9% of people with his resources do and people love him for it. That alone is enough to make the Donald jealous and shitty.

An uppity black making things better for underpriveleged and forgotten youth? Time to shit on him publicly!

Trump also built a school, and there is no difference between his school and LeBron's, but the evil liberal media loves LeBron's school and hates Trump's scam.

I can't find the tweet again, but there was one about how when Trump was decrying the media (again), the crowd cheered for him and boo'd CNN, but only while the cameras were on. Afterward, they went up to the CNN anchor asking for autographs and his advice/opinions.

The best analogy I've run across likened it to a professional wrestling audience.

I continue to be amazed at just how reliably you can find a previous Trump tweet that contradicts a current Trump tweet.

—Patrick
Well, Trump was likely assuming Obama was doing the things he was criticising for the same reason Trump would do them... like being nice to other leaders because they where letting him build stuff in their contries instead of because that's how diplomacy works etc.

Hope nobody was planning on shipping anything via the arctic circle anytime soon, we just cut our icebreaker funding to build a fucking wall.

That's what global warming is for!
Exactly! Now you're getting it! This is just like how we don't need safer, more fuel efficient, lighter vehicles - those are safety hazards. If you make the cars really heavy and fuel inefficient, fewer people will be able to drive and they won't get in accidents as much! And, if we try really hard, we can get the cars to be too expensive for normal people and then only the rich will have them and there'll be even fewer accidents! Won't that be awesome for the 12 people still on the road?

Global warming melting the arctic is actually a very pro-Russia. It's a huge issue for who will actually control it. Canada is ramping up it's navy aa a response, so it makes sense that cheeto would do the opposite. Can't let papa Putin down!

Exactly! Now you're getting it! This is just like how we don't need safer, more fuel efficient, lighter vehicles - those are safety hazards. If you make the cars really heavy and fuel inefficient, fewer people will be able to drive and they won't get in accidents as much! And, if we try really hard, we can get the cars to be too expensive for normal people and then only the rich will have them and there'll be even fewer accidents! Won't that be awesome for the 12 people still on the road?
Didn’t Rush write a song based on a story about that?

—Patrick

Also in the news, a federal judge ordered Trump to reinstate DACA citing lack of good cause for ending it.

I'm not sure how the law works in the area of presidential executive order.

Hey what do you know? Trump's nominee for the Supreme Court just coincidentally happens to believe that presidents should be sheltered from all criminal proceedings - even questioning.

Zappit

Staff member
He admits he colluded with Russia in a conspiracy to receive stolen data and defraud the United States of America during an election.

But it's not illegal since he didn't even get anything.

I don't think that will fly in a courtroom. I mean, this is right out of the Simpsons right there. Sideshow Bob:
"Attempted murder! Do they award the Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry!?!"

I don't think that will fly in a courtroom. I mean, this is right out of the Simpsons right there. Sideshow Bob:
"Attempted murder! Do they award the Nobel Prize for Attempted Chemistry!?!"
Ha!

As if the Republicans in Congress would ever allow it to go to court.

The man could publicly confess to being an agent for Russia and hand the US over to Putin; the only response would be “Well, at least we stopped Hilary from winning!”

At some point SOMEbody has to acknowledge that a Hillary presidency would still be better than a переворот.

--Patrick

God, if we could only go back to 2016 and tell Hillary, "You don't realize how much these people hate you, do you?"