Former President Trump Thread

Call me what you will, but I *do*.
Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it.
But at this point, my desire for renewal is stronger than my desire for revenge.
I almost expect him to die shortly after he's out of office, either due to natural causes or at his own hand.

--Patrick

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it.
But at this point, my desire for renewal is stronger than my desire for revenge.
I almost expect him to die shortly after he's out of office, either due to natural causes or at his own hand.

--Patrick
Or "natural causes" or "his own hand".

Biden needs to support American Dairy farmers! He needs to let them know he has their back and raise a 4 litre jug of milk and drink straight from it.

Because that's where we are these days.

Trumpers keep trying to claim Biden's 18 person town hall / press conference (from which only 20 people were invited) was a "rally" no one wanted to visit, all just to make themselves feel better about Trump's low turnout for the Tulsa rally. The willful ignorance is incredible.

To be absolutely fair, I think this one actually had better intentions rather then attempting to suppress elections.

Nearly 27 percent of registered voters in Kentucky have requested an absentee ballot or already cast their vote a week out from the June 23 primary, according to the Kentucky State Board of Elections, indicating a potentially high turnout amid a statewide push to get people to vote absentee because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

That compares to a turnout of 20.6 percent four years ago, 13.9 percent eight years ago and 32.2 percent 12 years ago, when the Democratic presidential primary betweet Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton was still undecided.

The state has seen 937,723 votes cast or requested, according to the board of elections, and at least 92,611 of those ballot requests came from Fayette County. That would equal a 38 percent voter turnout in the state’s second-largest city if all ballots are returned.
I also read an article that Democratic Governor, Andy Beshear, postponed the primary in order to send out post cards to all registered voters on how to sign up for absentee ballots.

I really don't think this was an attempt to suppress, but instead an attempt to get more people to just vote from home. They are leaving some places open for those that never signed up for the absentees ballots, but as they talk about above, more people have registered for absentee ballots then have historically voted in primary elections (outside of Obama's huge win). This does not even go into that Kentucky has already been doing early voting.

I just felt like bringing this up for more clarity, rather then just assume it was some weird trick.

The article suggested that many absentee voters received the ballot for the opposite party than the one they registered with, meaning their ballot was spoiled upon arrival.

--Patrick

To be absolutely fair, I think this one actually had better intentions rather then attempting to suppress elections.

I also read an article that Democratic Governor, Andy Beshear, postponed the primary in order to send out post cards to all registered voters on how to sign up for absentee ballots.

I really don't think this was an attempt to suppress, but instead an attempt to get more people to just vote from home. They are leaving some places open for those that never signed up for the absentees ballots, but as they talk about above, more people have registered for absentee ballots then have historically voted in primary elections (outside of Obama's huge win). This does not even go into that Kentucky has already been doing early voting.

I just felt like bringing this up for more clarity, rather then just assume it was some weird trick.
1 polling place for 616,000 people. 1 polling place for half of the black voters in the state. 1 polling place for 1/8th of the state's entire population.

Probably just a statistical quirk.

1 polling place for 616,000 people. 1 polling place for half of the black voters in the state. 1 polling place for 1/8th of the state's entire population.

Probably just a statistical quirk.
Again, I was just informing that they were trying to push hard for absentee voting. Taken in that context it makes more sense that once you get nearly 10% more absentee requests then people historically even vote in the states primary elections, you can reduce the polling places and keep some open for "overflow" of people that missed the ability to absentee vote or early voting.

Is it a good idea? I don't think so, no.

I think collecting the overflow into a single location, even though they claim the locations can accommodate large groups of voters with proper social distancing, is much worst then keeping as many places open as possible to limit the chance that the virus can spread out of that one location. I just don't think this was some huge voter suppression attempt people are making it out to be. If they closed all the polling places, restricted absentee ballots, and cancelled early voting, then it would obviously be a suppression tactic. Now the fact people got the WRONG ballots is another issue, one that I don't know is suppression or just incompetence, but it's something they need to fix.

A big problem with in person polling is that the people who volunteer to run them are usually old people who should not be running them right now. This is mostly because old people who volunteer at them tend to be retired and don't need to worry about missing work.

A big problem with in person polling is that the people who volunteer to run them are usually old people who should not be running them right now. This is mostly because old people who volunteer at them tend to be retired and don't need to worry about missing work.
This is very true. I think it was even referenced that this was another reason for the reduction.

Honestly, we just need to move to mail-in voting everywhere and just screw polls. The election day as the "cutoff" day and just allow any citizen to send in a vote by mail before that date.

While we at it, we also need to implement ranked choice voting.

Again, I was just informing that they were trying to push hard for absentee voting. Taken in that context it makes more sense that once you get nearly 10% more absentee requests then people historically even vote in the states primary elections, you can reduce the polling places and keep some open for "overflow" of people that missed the ability to absentee vote or early voting.

Is it a good idea? I don't think so, no.

I think collecting the overflow into a single location, even though they claim the locations can accommodate large groups of voters with proper social distancing, is much worst then keeping as many places open as possible to limit the chance that the virus can spread out of that one location. I just don't think this was some huge voter suppression attempt people are making it out to be. If they closed all the polling places, restricted absentee ballots, and cancelled early voting, then it would obviously be a suppression tactic. Now the fact people got the WRONG ballots is another issue, one that I don't know is suppression or just incompetence, but it's something they need to fix.
Awful lot of words trying to explain how 1/8th of the population gets 1/200th of the polling locations. Somehow the explanation falls well short of explaining why it hit the black population so square on the jaw.

Closing polling spots in black population centers is a common tactic of people who want to suppress the black vote and has been for literally decades at this point.

Maybe have government employees run that station and have a ton of booths set up and make it accessible, but safe, for the huge crowds that it will attract?

I say voter suppression hasn't gone far enough. No mail in voting under any circumstances. Literally the only voting booth in the entire country is in my house. No one but me is allowed inside. I am the voters.

I say voter suppression hasn't gone far enough. No mail in voting under any circumstances. Literally the only voting booth in the entire country is in my house. No one but me is allowed inside. I am the voters.
One man, one vote. You're the man & you have the vote?

I read a short story with that premise. The single voter was the most representative person in the country. I suspect that wouldn't be you.

Hey did you realize that Aunt Jemima is the embodiment of the American Dream? I didn't.

--Patrick
“Being an ex-slave” whose image gets exploited by a corporation so generations of white people can have a warm, happy feeling every morning that a minstrel show character is making their breakfast isn’t the American Dream? The damn you say

To be absolutely fair, I think [the closing of 95% of the polls in Kentucky] actually had better intentions rather then attempting to suppress elections.
I'm afraid my opinion is not as sanguine as yours, SR.

Sridhar, I hope for your sake there's a "/s" in there somewhere.

--Patrick