Former President Trump Thread

Since they all swear to act as an impartial jury, that should be itself a professional fault.
Any trial where parts of the jury go to confer with the defendants - or the prosecutors - would be thrown out so fast the judge's wig would be spinning.

figmentPez

Staff member
Since they all swear to act as an impartial jury, that should be itself a professional fault.
Any trial where parts of the jury go to confer with the defendants - or the prosecutors - would be thrown out so fast the judge's wig would be spinning.
We went through this exact same thing last impeachment, didn't we?

figmentPez

Staff member

"I don't know if we're under oath here."

Wow, talk about your tells... It's like that old joke, "How do you know when a lawyer is lying?" When they're Republican!

Their strategy is to literally do anything so it looks like they did something, so it won't look -as- bad when the GOP vote not to impeach, which they will.
Having them vote to acquit after watching a bear ride a cycle would look bad.

Them not even paying attention because their mind is already made up is just as bad though.

57 out of 67 needed. Ten old white guys carrying more about their own political fortunes than about democracy and the future of your country is what stops justice from working as it should.
One wonders what result a secret vote would have given.

Either Republicans are financially benefitting by still supporting Trump after all this or he has something on each of them. I can't imagine any other possibility.

Either Republicans are financially benefitting by still supporting Trump after all this or he has something on each of them. I can't imagine any other possibility.
Neither. They believe (and are probably right) that they don't have to have shame or do the right thing, so long as they keep their base voters. And their base voters don't care about policy, they care about having more than another group. Fear of other and fear that they are 'getting more' than they are is what drives them.

57 out of 67 needed. Ten old white guys carrying more about their own political fortunes than about democracy and the future of your country is what stops justice from working as it should.
One wonders what result a secret vote would have given.
A secret vote would just mean that every republican would vote not to impeach, because they're all criminals. Those that voted to only did so knowing their vote wouldn't count and they could continue to play the middle

For them, Trump is merely a symbol. Publicly supporting Trump is the biggest, fattest dogwhistle they can possibly blow to show support for their regressive, hard right, conservative stance. They don't care about Trump, they just want influence over his mob.

--Patrick

A secret vote would just mean that every republican would vote not to impeach, because they're all criminals. Those that voted to only did so knowing their vote wouldn't count and they could continue to play the middle
Except Romney. Dude legit hates trump.

I am pretty upset how all the Republican Senators that voted to convict are now being censured in many of their states. There was a time, long ago, I thought voting for people based on their actions or their qualities was more important then what color they had attached to them or the letter next to them, and while I leaned Republican, I never held any bad will towards Democrats during my youth, because why should I? We may have not agreed on policy, but I thought (naively it seems in hindsight) that we all wanted the same things in the end. Freedom, prosperity, and equity for all those that live in our country.

Now I watch as the entire Republican manifesto has basically become "Because we ain't Democrats" and that has become enough for some people. Party above country is normalized, and it never should have gotten this far.