[TV] Futurama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It is. They've been embracing the various Futurama memes for advertising lately.

Most of Reddit seems to hate it.

Also, this episode is pretty good, and now it's really sad.

OH! Two episode premiere?!

Didn't like the second one as much. I look forward to watching it with commentary though. I want to see if they address some things...

I rather liked both of them. And honestly, the people on Reddit are overreacting. They're advertising the show with the memes and the only time I caught a use of a meme in the first episode was "Shut up and take my quarter" or something.

I rather liked both of them. And honestly, the people on Reddit are overreacting. They're advertising the show with the memes and the only time I caught a use of a meme in the first episode was "Shut up and take my quarter" or something.
I definitely agree. I think it's pretty cool that they are recognizing their fans and playing it up like they are. I also don't think the "Shut up" line was really even meant as a reference to the meme. For one thing, that meme is WORD FOR WORD taken from another episode of Futurama. They're referencing themselves there.
I tried calling Reddit out on it and got absolutely shelled with downvotes. Maybe I could have done it with more tact, but I was actually quoting posts I had seen:
ScumbagRedditors.jpg

Added at: 17:43
My issues with the second episode were with inconsistency in the writing and the science behind it, which Futurama writers are usually very good of at LEAST providing a ridiculous Deus Ex Machina to explain or off hand remark to acknowledge it's incorrect. (Example of what I'm talking about: When they go to the moon in episode 2 they inserted a "Historical Stickler's" plaque to explain why the Lunar Lander was still at the landing site.)
-Electronic devices stop working, next scene we have a ray gun, elevators, automatic doors, a laser pointer, and a television. It was a good idea for them to say devices power down and that's why nobody can take off in their space ships, or come from other planets to provde rescue, but that point stops making sense when they utterly abandon it right after.
-Earth looks massive from Mars (This is the kind of thing they're usually VERY good at. Normally this wouldn't bother me at all, but knowing the writers at Futurama this seems like a big mistake slipped by)
-Amy's Sorority changed from Kappa Kappa Wong to... something else I forget what they said it was in this episode.

There's a difference between forcing them for the "lulz" like Family Guy does (blatantly cutting and pasting a YouTube clip and just doing their own animated version of it) or using it for very brief advertisements. I don't see what the big honking deal is.

There's a difference between forcing them for the "lulz" like Family Guy does (blatantly cutting and pasting a YouTube clip and just doing their own animated version of it) or using it for very brief advertisements. I don't see what the big honking deal is.
Exactly. Marketing is very different from the writing in the actual show. It's handled by the broadcaster, it has little to do with the production team or the writers of the show. And some people are attacking Groening specifically for it. I think they way overestimate his input into the show, and WAAAAAAAAAY overestimate his input into the marketing.

I gotta start looking at the writers' credits, because while the season has been very funny so far, the style seems very different, like they are abandoning certain established plot threads and also putting less effort into the accuracy of the science behind what's going on.

Definitely been funny though. Looking much better than season 5, at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.