Games that Need HD Remakes

figmentPez

Staff member
Saw a trailer the other day for Batman: Return to Arkham, which is just a slightly upgraded port of the first two Arkham games to the PS4 and XboxOne. Then I saw a speed run of X-Men Legends II and it got me thinking... Which games really need to have HD remakes?

For me, the X-Men Legends games definitely fall under that category. They're absolutely fantastic action RPGs, but their graphics.... Well, they kinda suck. They weren't bad for the era, but they don't hold up particularly well. Not to mention that the second game has quite a few very annoying bugs, including some that can cause your system to freeze. I'd love to see those two games get a current-gen remake, especially a PC port.

What games would you put on this list?

Full Throttle (which is apparently on the way!)
Deja Vu
Battletoads
Spider-Man 2 (or at least a good, new open-world Spidey game with just as good swinging mechanics)
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Maniac Mansion

Pfft... how about Red Baron, Red Baron 3D, Aces Over Europe, and Aces Of The Pacific? You can get Steam ports of some of those and I think GoG has some too, but I want a full remake.

Fuck, I guess I'm going to add Crimson Skies and Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge to that too. Someone already mentioned TIE Fighter.

I think it would be interesting to see something like the original Zelda in a full 3d environment.

Battlezone

I mean c'mon, we can do the 3D in actual 3D now, we don't need to do wireframe any more.

Along the same vein, maybe something like Zaxxon or Super Cobra.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Spy Hunter!

Elevator Action!

Ghouls 'n Ghosts!

Paperboy!

These were some of my favorites from childhood.

That's actually a System Shock 1 remake. You can tell because the older screens have that fat HUD underneath the game's screen like a number of PC games had back then for some reason.
Oh, whoops. I've honestly never played either one. I thought it was just the second one that got all the big acclaim.

Oh, whoops. I've honestly never played either one. I thought it was just the second one that got all the big acclaim.
Later on. While the first one did well enough to get the second one made, the second was unfortunately overshadowed in 1999 by a little game called Half-Life.

At this point the first one is practically unplayable, whereas System Shock 2 still works fine and is an enjoyable albeit challenging experience. That's why the link you posted stresses that this is a reimagining of the first game and not a straight-up remake, because the latter would be a mess.

Later on. While the first one did well enough to get the second one made, the second was unfortunately overshadowed in 1999 by a little game called Half-Life.

At this point the first one is practically unplayable, whereas System Shock 2 still works fine and is an enjoyable albeit challenging experience. That's why the link you posted stresses that this is a reimagining of the first game and not a straight-up remake, because the latter would be a mess.
This dude is correct.

System Shock 3 is now in development, I'm optimistic and hope to find myself enjoying that game when it is released.

But I'd love a remake of System Shock 2.