Gaming in Review - 2015 Edition

So, what games were memorable for your in 2015 (good or bad?). This applies to all gaming platforms.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate dominated the first half of the year for me. Had a lot of fun hunting monsters with my wife which led to memorable moments, before the top difficulty kind of ushered her out of the game, sadly.

Bloodborne was amazing and I wish it was on other platforms so people without a PS4 could play it.

While I lost interest in Super Mario Maker after a couple weeks, I feel like I learned a lot in that time. Some of it in game design, some of it in appreciating good game design, and some of it in seeing how few people comprehend game design.

Nintendo released two new IPs, one that ruled (Splatoon) and one that was mediocre and quickly forgotten (Code Name STEAM).

Not a game, but certainly in the bad side of gaming was the unfortunate passing of Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo. He continues to be missed, especially when "I AM THE DUB OF SAKURAI BLEEP BLOOP" hosts a Nintendo Direct.

More will come later, but The Beginners Guide is my most memorable. It's a non game walking simulator, so some people will hate it, but man did it resonate with me, in a manner I think perfectly illustrates why games are art. People will call this an interactive movie, but I honestly believe it delivers a message that could not be told better in another medium.

Speaking as someone who plays games on a delay, the main games I played in 2015 were Bioshock Infinite, Mordor's Shadows, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, and Pokemon Omega Ruby.

I'd consider all of them to be excellent. Yes, even AC3. But if I had to pick a favorite, I think I'd go for DX:HR.

I started off the year with Evolve. It pains me till this day that when people talk about it, they still mention the pre-release DLC---which was all cosmetic. It's like saying "FUCK DOTA 2! IF I WANTED ALL THE DLC I'D HAVE TO PAY $1,000,000,000 TO GET ALL THOSE SKINS". I ended up in the top 50 in the world. Went back and it's STILL fun.

Witcher 3 is the crowning achievement of this year. This game did every thing right. Side quests were memorable and interesting, dialogue was amazing, and the story was great. The DLC is awesome. Seriously, if you hadn't played it yet, don't delay. What an amazing series.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Have to admit, this game surprised me. I've played my fair share of DBZ games, and I liked them well enough, but most of them fell short. This game on the other hand delivered great combat and an interesting story. The graphics were as close as I could have hoped for to the anime and the character creation gave a lot of options. Definitely was worth my time.

Fallout 4: I have to agree with Frank's overall opinion: It was a good game, but a bad fallout game. I liked the combat, and I *really* liked the crafting and skill trees---but at the end of the game, I felt like my actions didn't especially matter. Sure, the whole wasteland changed, but not that anyone really noticed. And no, I won't go shoot those fucking ghouls for you.

Battlefield Hardline: I have made a huge mistake. I liked BF for the tanks/planes/gunboats. Why did I think I'd like cops and robbers?

Star Wars Battlefront: Few games capture the feeling of Star Wars so well. The enviroments ooze cool, the sound effects are spot on and the all the little background details, like the Super Star Destroyer appearing in the clouds over Sullust were F&@$ing cool. That said, NEED MOAR CONTENT.

Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright: Didn't need a new 3DS XL for this, but only got it because I bought a new 3DS XL. Good move too! Already have games from both series on my wishlist. Fantastic games if you haven't played them. Also, love the soundtrack.

Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns: A lot of cosplay options for Jun here. ( I also kinda like it, actually).

Warhammer End Times: Vermintide: This is a Left 4 Dead game tailored to me. Numerous ways to get my teammates killed and melee weapons galore. Also they recently improved the loot system and it's better than ever.

Bioshock Infinite and Saints Row IV were the big standouts for me this year on ye olde XBox.

The game that struck me the most was Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for my DSi. That was a completely new experience that I highly recommend to anyone who likes adventure type games.

GasBandit

Staff member
As with most years, I spent most of my gaming time playing games of previous years - in particular, Left 4 Dead 2 and Don't Starve Together. But the stuff from this year of note was:

Vermintide (released Oct 23, 2015) - I echo Terrik's sentiments. Vermintide is a lot of fun, especially now that the loot system is less grindy/soulcrushing than it used to be. Left 4 Dead meets Warhammer fantasy, and surprisingly well done for a dev house that has never had a triple-AAA game before.

Dying Light (Jan 27, 2015) - You guys told me it was Dead Island done right, and so far that seems to be the case.

Divinity: Original Sin: Enhanced Edition (Oct 27, 2015) - made many improvements over the original, but still has lots of bugs. Still pretty good though.

Killing Floor 2 (In Early Access as of Apr 21, 2015) - Coming along nicely. I can hardly wait to see what happens when the SDK comes out and the modding community get their teeth into it - what really was great about the first one was the amazing creativity in all the custom maps the community came up with.

Cities: Skylines (Mar 10, 2015) - What SimCity should have been. So addicting. It's got some bugs and annoyances, but they are minor. It's easy to learn but challenging to perfect.

Beseige (Early Access Jan 28, 2015) - Still in progress, but every update brings me more of what I like to see. It's really fun to build machines of mayhem and death, then put them through their paces.

Road Redemption (Early Access 2014, majorly updated in 2015) - Another one still in progress/early access, but it's fun on a bun. Needs multiplayer, then it'd be damn near perfect.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation (Full release May 21, 2015) - I really wanted to like this, but it's only "OK." Really kind of a letdown. Plagued by performance issues and game balance problems. At least it does try to stay as true as possible to the original games.

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (Jan 20, 2015) - Fun, but short. I seem to like it more than most people do, though.

Last edited:
Elite: Dangerous. I'm going to lose a lot of time to this thing. And I happened to get in right before the first big expansion hit, which has introduced planetary landings.

GasBandit

Staff member
You guys talking year in review for shit from 2013, sheesh.
Well, I can't speak for the others, but all but one of mine were released/entered early access in 2015. I've added the dates to reflect that. The one from 2014 (which is still in Early Access development) is Road Redemption and really wasn't all that playable until this year.

I mean, really, technically Space Engineers is still in early access and hasn't "launched" yet by the strict definition, but I didn't bring it up because I mostly played it in the second half of 2014, even though in recent weeks I've started to get back into it again. Still not recommending buying it yet! (he said, with 650 hours played).

Well, I can't speak for the others, but all but one of mine were released/entered early access in 2015. I've added the dates to reflect that. The one from 2014 (which is still in Early Access development) is Road Redemption and really wasn't all that playable until this year.

I mean, really, technically Space Engineers is still in early access and hasn't "launched" yet by the strict definition, but I didn't bring it up because I mostly played it in the second half of 2014, even though in recent weeks I've started to get back into it again. Still not recommending buying it yet! (he said, with 650 hours played).
Was referring more to Bioshock Infinite, but then I notice 999 which is from 2010.

I figured Jay meant stuff that came out this year, because things from earlier years would've been aspects of those years. I mean, if anything goes, that's fine, I'll join in.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth (2014) really made my summer, and two playthroughs of Dark Souls (2011) had an even stronger impact on me this year than last. That game is really just marvelous. I played the original Bioshock (2007) for the first time in since before Infinite came out and was reminded why it's one of my favorite games. My wife dug back into Fallout: New Vegas (2010) and played through all of the DLC, which are excellent.

Oh, disappointments ... Primal Carnage: Extinction. Fun game system, hampered by horrible balance and zero interest on the part of the developer towards fixing it. Gets boring pretty quick when you know the dinosaur team will always win. Then there was Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, a game I thought I'd love since I loved the first one, but instead I couldn't even finish it because the plot was so dull and the characters were so uninteresting. Waste of $50, and since I downloaded it, I'll never get that back.