GB's "I'm Messing with the media addon" test thread

I barely-if-ever watch any anime...And I know the English dubs are often at least decent.
Doesn't mean I won't look down on anyone prefering dubs over subs for pretty much anything, though. The idea "oh, reading a line per 6 seconds is too hard" is just laughable.
And if you've ever seen a movie dubbed in French or German, you'd know what I mean when I say it's just not the same. Many Hollywood celebs have their "fixed" voice actor, and some are just hilariously bad.

Dave

Staff member
I like dubs better because you can concentrate on the screen instead of reading when you should be checking out the cinematography.

Really a matter of experience and habit.
It's true. I grew up reading subtitles and I prefer them. I hate that now every movie in the theaters is dubbed. I swear that there are only three people doing all the voices in all the movies.

I listened to a couple of clips of Funimation's dub of The Devil is a Part-Timer! and the dialogue is just cringeworthy and out of place. It didn't even feel like it was part of the same show I was watching. The sub was so much more enjoyable. Emi having the same VA as High School DxD's Rias certainly helped. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
I listened to a couple of clips of Funimation's dub of The Devil is a Part-Timer! and the dialogue is just cringeworthy and out of place. It didn't even feel like it was part of the same show I was watching. The sub was so much more enjoyable. Emi having the same VA as High School DxD's Rias certainly helped. :)
I watched the sub of Devil is a Part Timer, and let me tell you, the problems with that show didn't just come from bad dubbing. It's tedious and cringeworthy all on its own. I ran out of patience with it before the end of the first season.

That said, there ARE bad dubs out there. Love Hina, springs to mind. That dub job was *awful.*

Also I DID NOT INTEND FOR THIS TO BE THE "ARGUE WITH GB ABOUT ANIME" THREAD

I DID NOT INTEND FOR THIS TO BE THE "ARGUE WITH GB ABOUT ANIME" THREAD
Oh, well la-di-da, sorry mister Admin and Authority Figure, sir. We'll be sure to keep all threads neatly on topic and serious, just like we've always done in the past.

So, anyway: boobies - totally great or just awesome?

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, well la-di-da, sorry mister Admin and Authority Figure, sir. We'll be sure to keep all threads neatly on topic and serious, just like we've always done in the past.
Whatcha gonna do now, smart guy? :p[DOUBLEPOST=1517330828,1517330753][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyway, note to Future Gas Bandit, CONTINUE DOING THIS:

WHEN S9E updates you have to MANUALLY change out the PHP file in /library/s9e, NOT the one in /upload/library/s9e, that one doesn't do shit. THEN run the update routine.

Ooo they must've updated it since the last time I went there...which was probably pre-COVID.
Well one thing the update appears to have fixed--I no longer have to manually add buffer newlines after a media insert to keep the subsequent text from crowding the insert.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, looks like everything went smoothly.

The media embedder, and by that, I mean this:

1681424638911.png

Now supports approved embeds embedded into unapproved URLs, if you check the boxes.

What does that mean?

It means that this url
Code:
https://t.co/6qO65EngPb
now embeds as the following youtube video, when previously it would just tell you that "you can't do that." Makes it a little easier to use, I guess. Works for stuff like bitly as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
To be honest I was expecting more out of the update. When it said it could parse embedded media from URLs I thought it meant it would pick out the embedded media in the linked page and embed that instead. Like, if you used "insert media" on a news story that had a video in it, it would embed the video. But I guess not.

Well, I mean, he did somehow manage to take out power in my whole neighborhood for 2 hours. At least I assume it was because of this testing. Correlation = causation after all.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't know if anybody noticed, but attachment thumbnails were apparently borked for a long time. I figured out why. So now, if you upload a lot of attachments and then click the "thumbnail" button it should ACTUALLY put the thumbnails in the post instead of the full size image.

Incidentally, the board automatically resizes any picture larger than 1000px to 1000px, and thumbnails are 100px. Using thumbnails makes for a much more mobile-friendly post, as often the narrow portrait version of the site that fits into most mobile browsers will only be wide enough to fit 3 or so thumbnails side by side, it seems.

Tapping on any thumbnail will bring up an overlay displaying the full size image, and you can then swipe/click/arrowkey left and right through all attachments in the post.

1682179415921.png

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Youtube now supports clipping videos, like twitch does. These clips have their own URL structure, and the media addon now supports embedding via these clip URLs.