Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Genre: [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE], [GENRE]Foreign[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Ishirô Honda[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Nick Adams[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Akira Takarada[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jun Tazaki[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Akira Kubo[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kumi Mizuno[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Keiko Sawai[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Yoshio Tsuchiya[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Takamaru Sasaki[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Gen Shimizu[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kenzô Tabu[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Yoshifumi Tajima[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Nadao Kirino[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kôji Uno[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Tôru Ibuki[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Kazuo Suzuki[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]1965-12-19[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]96[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]Aliens from the mysterious Planet X, which resides on the dark side of of Jupiter, come to Earth asking its people to help them save their world from the dreaded King Ghidrah by letting them "borrow" Godzilla and Rodan. The aliens are actually planning to use the three monsters to take over our planet.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

This is one of those Godzilla movies that was begging for MST3k, but it never happened (though they did reference King Ghidorah in a different movie's riff).

I didn't love this one as a kid, but since it was one of only three Godzilla movies I owned until I discovered MonsterVision and started recording them on the VCR, it got regular rotation. Not enough monster action, too much chit-chat. On the plus side, it was my introduction to Rodan, Ghidorah, Nick Adams, and Kumi Mizuno. It is also the cause of the rare occasion where I, the "well-behaved child" of my mother's brood, threw a tantrum in a store and refused to leave until she bought me the movie. So, you know, that's special.

As an adult ... it's still not good, but it is hilarious, so I may get the DVD for the laughs. The pulp sci-fi is done well enough for the time. Less of a Godzilla movie, more of a 60s alien invasion movie; Godzilla's just there.