[News] Good News, Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come across a few news stories in the past few days that warmed my heart a bit, and thought we should maybe have a thread here for us to share these types of stories, y'know?

Especially with how friggin' grumpy the whole forum is lately.

So here's a story about a kid in England who was popping pills from his family's medicine cabinet- unsure of what they were- in an effort to kill himself, and the girl in Canada who spent all night trying to get ahold of the police in England to save him:

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...uicidal-boy-after-seeing-tumblr-postings?bn=1
They’ve never actually spoken, 14-year-old Paige Dayal and 16-year-old Luke. But this is what he wrote on his Tumblr post just after a dreadful catastrophe had been narrowly averted: “I am so grateful to the girl who rang the police. Seriously I LOVE YOU.”

And a story about a hockey team in Israel that's getting Arab and Jewish youth to play together:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ogether-in-rare-mixed-israeli-ice-hockey-team
The two Arab girls and three boys on the team said they had never met Jews their age before playing ice hockey. Jews said the same about Arabs. The Arab youths have adopted a halting Hebrew from Jewish teammates.
“In a short period of time we got to know each other,” 14-year-old Niv Weinberg said. “We aren’t the only ones in living here (in Israel). This country isn’t ours alone.”
So post some happy news stories. The world is not all doom and gloom, and the forum doesn't have to be either.

There's a movement similar to that called "Guerilla Gardening" I read about in Toronto (Though I'm sure the movement is worldwide). I think its fantastic.

M

makare

"In a short period of time we got to know each other,” 14-year-old Niv Weinberg said. “We aren’t the only ones in living here (in Israel). This country isn’t ours alone.”"

That's really awesome. Not sure if that is just really sappy or I am super hormonal but I seem to have something in my eye...

I get so torn on copywrite issues. On the one hand, this IS petty bullshit, but on the other, as someone who creates things for possible publication, I'd be pissed as hell if someone used my work without permission, so I don't have a good answer for it.

I get so torn on copywrite issues. On the one hand, this IS petty bullshit, but on the other, as someone who creates things for possible publication, I'd be pissed as hell if someone used my work without permission, so I don't have a good answer for it.
But this wasn't about the original creator having a problem with it, partly because Tolken has been dead for a long time. If you look at it, the Tolken estate wasn't going after the pub. It was people from New Line, who snapped up rights to it only in recent years and then decided to pounce on this little place.

Status
Not open for further replies.