Export thread

Google voice

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Has anyone used this, and can give first hand experience to how it works? I'd love to see if I really can set up quality, free phone calls, it would be a big money saver.

Also, yes, this is a shameless plea, but could anyone pm me and send me an invite?

Rob King

Rob King

I scored an invite a while back, but it turns out that it's USA only. Just FYI.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I happen to be in the USA...

just sayin'

Rob King

Rob King

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The FYI was for anyone who was curious, but more specifically for Attila the Hun there.

fade

fade

I have 3 invites.

phil

phil

My friend used it, and he seems to enjoy it. The voice-to-text mail does not work that well. I left him a few voice mails, and even speaking as clearly as I could it still got a few words wrong, but since it also records the voicemail itself, there doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.

I don't know how well it is for making calls though.

klew

klew

I find its attempt to transcribe speech-to-text fun. I've asked friends to call and leave messages while I am away that I can read as emails. I've also used it through gizmo5 to make free phone calls to US numbers from outside the US, though you need a stable broadband connection.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I use it frequently when I'm at home because it gets better quality than my cell-phone and I refuse to buy long-distance landline service. Works great, and I have it set up to have one phone number which will ring both my landline and my cellphone, so I can be reached regardless of where I am. As a bonus service, when someone calls, you can choose to pass them along to voicemail while you listen in, which is occasionally useful.

In my specific case, I also get the best international rates for calling my parents (who live in Europe) from the US.

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=141925

fade

fade

Check this out: free calls with data only plan using VOIP. I'd like to see this after long term usage:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2c6636aaa87c4f56&hl=en

(EDIT: YOu have to have a gizmo5 account for this to work)