Got a contract to perform at Avalon Renaissance Festival--new CD

So, I haven't played a real gig in a while. Irish sessions don't count as real gigs, because at a session, you just play random tunes and if you mess up, you mess up. And I haven't played a real gig by myself in an even longer while. Today, I had an OCD panic to make sure I remembered enough music to fill 4 30-minutes sets and then arranged them to have a good mix of fast, slow, high whistle, low whistle, and tunes from the CD in each set (for sales opportunities)...I can breathe a little easier now, because I can also use these setlists as practice lists to ensure that everything is tight come April.

1672356978369.png

Your stage name is VIOLENTLY Scottish.
True story: When I was auditioning for the Texas Renaissance Festival in 2003, I had trouble with an English and Irish accent, but I could somehow do a strong and passable Scottish accent without ever having tried it before. So I had about 5 minutes to completely redo my character bio. And that was the very unoriginal Scottish name I came up with ;) I had no idea the name was wikipedia worthy.

GasBandit

Staff member
True story: When I was auditioning for the Texas Renaissance Festival in 2003, I had trouble with an English and Irish accent, but I could somehow do a strong and passable Scottish accent without ever having tried it before. So I had about 5 minutes to completely redo my character bio. And that was the very unoriginal Scottish name I came up with ;) I had no idea the name was wikipedia worthy.
For a game character, I once tried to come up with the MOST Scottish name I could think of, and it ended up being Angus Argyle McTartan.

For a game character, I once tried to come up with the MOST Scottish name I could think of, and it ended up being Angus Argyle McTartan.
*Twitches uncomfortably* Gah, sorry Gas, but you've just hit one of my pet peeve buttons so I'm gonna rant.

"Mac/Mc" is not just a generic sound made at the beginning of Scottish surnames - it means "Son of"! That means you can't just throw a stereotypical scottish thing after the mac as in MacTartan, MacBagpipes, or MacWhisky* it needs to be followed by an actual name like MacHamish, MacAngus, MacGregor like Tin did, or MacDonald (even if that doesn't necessarily make you think of Scotland anymore ;)).

*And don't even get me started on the absolute imbeciles that try using MacWhiskey :mad:.

*Twitches uncomfortably* Gah, sorry Gas, but you've just hit one of my pet peeve buttons so I'm gonna rant.

"Mac/Mc" is not just a generic sound made at the beginning of Scottish surnames - it means "Son of"! That means you can't just throw a stereotypical scottish thing after the mac as in MacTartan, MacBagpipes, or MacWhisky* it needs to be followed by an actual name like MacHamish, MacAngus, MacGregor like Tin did, or MacDonald (even if that doesn't necessarily make you think of Scotland anymore ;)).

*And don't even get me started on the absolute imbeciles that try using MacWhiskey :mad:.
ahem...
macbagpipe.com/index.htm
mactartan.co.uk

lol (Sorry, I'm just needling you because it's your pet peeve)

I didn't know you had to be "in-character". Why not do a mashup with an outrageous French accent?
I can only do a few accents with any kind of authenticity. Houstonian (very mild to no Texas accent), Beaumont (where you "play the gee-tar with yer fangars"), Hispanic, and evidently and for no explicable reason at all, Scottish.