Grounded

GasBandit

Staff member
The more I think about it the more impressed I get that that one ant was able to path up our stairs into the new base to try to get at the meat cooking on the roaster. Few other survival/crafting games I've seen have MOB AI more complex than "run at player in straight line and try to damage anything in your way"

Base was upgraded a bit tonight. We now have 3 dew collectors along with a meat drying rack.
Ladybugs go down fairly easily now, so we're collecting ladybug parts for armor etc. It looks like our biggest gate to the next tier of goodies is berry leather.

GasBandit

Staff member
We got kinda cocky though after taking on ladybugs and bombardier beetles and orb weavers... and tried a single solitary wolf spider.

I haven't seen 3 dudes get merc'd like that since the last boss of Valheim.

Shit, sorry guys, I was actually playing it solo in my own game. Wanted to start it from scratch to see what changes were made since I missed the opening stuff. If I'd known, I would've joined. Someone should've messaged me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Shit, sorry guys, I was actually playing it solo in my own game. Wanted to start it from scratch to see what changes were made since I missed the opening stuff. If I'd known, I would've joined. Someone should've messaged me.
Ah, ok, next time I'll PM you. I forget that not everybody obsessively refreshes Halforums like I do :p

Well, despite helping Gas (and his friend Adam) as best I could, I died a hell of a lot. I don't think I realized how much I realized on quick saving and reloading when I played solo.

GasBandit

Staff member
Managed to solo kill a wolf spider with my crossbow! No real feat actually, I cowered screaming inside the house we built and fired about 65 times into its eyes through the windows. I can't believe it didn't try to chew through the walls and kill me. But hey, if it works, it works.

GasBandit

Staff member
Adam and I built a secondary (well, tertiary, this is the third) base over by the hedge for when it's time to go in there and we'd like a closer respawn point. By a happy coincidence, the base's parapet is higher than a wolf spider can jump.

With a crossbow it takes exactly 40 arrows to kill a wolf spider.

1664687347935.png

Don't look so tough now, DO YA

GasBandit

Staff member
Turning off Depth of Field is a real game changer. Makes things SO much easier to look at. I hate DOF, my eyes decide what to focus on, not my targeting reticle.

Unfortunately the game doesn't give you this option in menus so you have to add a line to the engine.ini file.

DOF on (default)
20221002103710_1.jpg
DOF Off:
20221002103514_1.jpg

On:
20221002103729_1.jpg

Off:
Sorry for the blinding sunlight, chose an inopportune time of day to do this comparison
20221002103945_1.jpg

An argument could be made that in this particular game, the DOF helps convey the sense that the ordinary world is now massive and colossal while you are tiny, and that even trekking 100 cm is an incredible hike, but it's just SO much easier on my eyes. I hate DOF.

GasBandit

Staff member
The grass, dandelions, weeds, and clover are all definitely growing back. We deforested our immediate environs all the way past the toadstools, and it's all grown back again.

The most important thing I note from your screenshots is how much your gear has progressed. I need to log in and up myself to tier 2 stuff lol

GasBandit

Staff member
The most important thing I note from your screenshots is how much your gear has progressed. I need to log in and up myself to tier 2 stuff lol
We've already made you some armor and an insect axe. Also got 4 gas masks ready (they can be "repaired" with gnat fluff to replace the filter, they don't last very long under dangerous conditions). Until we can find some more crow feathers, I'm the only one with a crossbow. Been looking, and chasing that noisy bastard around the yard, but he just ain't dropping shit.

Oh and I FINALLY got the bow mutation yesterday. It took FUH REV URR

And now I have too many other good mutations to have room to use it.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
An argument could be made that in this particular game, the DOF helps convey the sense that the ordinary world is now massive and colossal while you are tiny, and that even trekking 100 cm is an incredible hike, but it's just SO much easier on my eyes. I hate DOF.
DOF doesn't have much place in FPS games. It probably has some good use (like how motion blur is good when used per-object to make spinning gun barrels look like a blur, but is terrible when applied to camera movement), but DOF just doesn't make sense when applied to a players field of vision.

DOF should be saved for cut scenes, 3rd person games with fixed cameras, and other instances where the only things that get blurred is stuff that's not anything you're supposed to be focusing on anyway. In an FPS, anything on screen is something I'm supposed to be looking at, I should be able to focus on it.

GasBandit

Staff member
So fun fact... if steam's friends backend goes down, like, say, for regular weekly maintenance, it will kick you out of a multiplayer game.

Even if you're alone, hosting a game.

Even though it supposedly uses the xbox live multiplayer thing and not necessarily steam.

GasBandit

Staff member
THIS, however, is exactly why I built stairs to the roof.

20221003184834_1.jpg

Jeez what is it with you wolf spiders today

GasBandit

Staff member
Jibbers crabst, and a third wolf spider the next morning. Wonder if that's all the ones in the oak tree dead.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was!

20221003191136_1.jpg

I kinda expected more loot in there, being guarded by 2 wolf spiders. But there was a couple of big brittle quarzite deposits. So that's a nice bonus.

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried fighting a bee. They have surprisingly low max health. I would have defeated it easily if I wasn't at the top of my zipline tower. He got a hit in and I got knocked off, and died from the fall because my dandelion tuft wore out.

Alright, shall we shoot for 7 mountain/8 central/9eastern/10 atlantic?
Works for me, though I may log in and piddle around a bit early. That said, as we discovered, my upload speed is horrendous compared to my download speed...once everyone else starts showing, someone else should probably act as host.