Halforums & Halflings Chapter One: Cult of the Dragon Below

Greetings and Welcome to the world of Ebberon! A world of wide magic, where a grand wizard might be rare but even the common man might know a cantrip or two. Houses are lit at night with ever torches, automatons are a common sight serving people on airships or on the lightning rail that stretches between cities. War has ravaged the land for the last Hundred years and while the healing has begun it's been a slow process.

The Last War ended officially two years ago with the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold which, among other things, brought about the following changes to the Contenant of Khorevaire:

1) The Galifar Empire is no more. Each kingdom that made up the empire will retain sovereignty over their own lands.
2) The recognition of lands seceded from their parent kingdoms either through declaring independence or through neglect during the war.
3) All Warforged are to be recognized as free citizens of their chosen nations. However, the construction of new Warforged by House Cannith is to be halted.

While most people lost something in The War, the nation of Cyre lost the most. With the destruction of Cyre through the phenomenon that has been dubbed The Mourning those who survived have been scattered across the rest of the lands.

Khorevaire detailed jpeg.jpg

Our adventure begins in the town of Ringbrair. A logging town off the Greymoon river in the nation of Breland.

breland map jpeg.jpg

A commotion seems to be brewing near the town square. Two men seem to be having a heated argument as other townsfolk are gathered around.

A thin, malnourished man with a missing leg calls out to the people.

"Please, I'm begging you, put the past behind you and help your follow man. Even if you harbor hatred in your hearts for the rest of my people the children of Cyre have lost so much and are innocent to the horrors the war brought upon us all. Won't anyone help bring them back?"

A larger man shakes his head.

"You Cyreians brought about a curse to your own lands and now you bring that curse here to us all."
Post automatically merged:

A commotion seems to be brewing near the town square. Two men seem to be having a heated argument as other townsfolk are gathered around.

A thin, malnourished man with a missing leg calls out to the people.

"Please, I'm begging you, put the past behind you and help your follow man. Even if you harbor hatred in your hearts for the rest of my people the children of Cyrus have lost so much and are innocent to the horrors the war brought upon us all. Won't anyone help bring them back?"

A larger man shakes his head.

"You Cyrusians brought about a curse to your own lands and now you bring that curse here to us all."

Last edited:
A young half elf girl, unsure of what is unfolding, keeps herself back from the scene. To steel her nerves at the possible conflict, she sings a quiet little ditty to calm herself.

Things are seldom what they seem,
Skim milk masquerades as cream;
Highlows pass as patent leathers;
Jackdaws strut in peacock's feathers.
Black sheep dwell in every fold;
All that glitters is not gold;
Storks turn out to be but logs;

Bulls are but inflated frogs.

Leaving the innocent enough seeming bakery off the town square of Ringbriar, I am ready to get back on the road and head back to Sharn. I have completed the errand my contacts sent me here for and I have a delivery to make. Short on cash as usual, I could use the bonus gold promised if I make it back quickly enough.

Skirting around the edge of a crowd that seems focused on a poor beggar and an over muscled town bully type having an argument about curses, I hear a curious tune. I stop despite having places to be because....bulls are but inflated frogs. I find the source wanting to know the font of this wisdom.

A white haired gnome sits off to the side, trying to avoid being stepped on by the mass of people in Town Square. She seems to be focused on a piece of embroidery on her lap, that occasionally flashes with a burst of light. As the one legged man let's out his plea, she let's out a snort and mutters to herself, "Yeah, we all lost something, you're not special." Hey hand drifts towards her neck before she pulls it back and goes back to her embroidery.

Anyone who thinks they might have spent some time in the area roll a History check. Anyone else who wishes to can roll an insight check.

While basking in the sun nearby the town square, busying himself with smoothing down a fallen branch into a crude if functional crutch for a gentleman he had seen the day before, a hunter-green dragonborn is alerted to a commotion in the direction he'd seen the troubled man. He hears the familiar voice, muffled by the crowd. Then a larger, louder man shout him down. It's difficult to make out exactly what's causing the commotion but fearing trouble, and the pending need for his services, he gathers his things, stows the half-finished crutch on his back, and begins to make his way over to the gathering.

1658721601993.png

*Out of character: I dunno if a crit history check for the first roll of the campaign is a good or bad sign but I'll take it.*

Slapdash stops upon hearing the amputee calling out and turns around, thoughtful. His friend Gil can wait a moment longer for him. Too many questions have surged into the construct's mind. He strides up to the man, stopping uncomfortably close. "Were you not a soldier? How did you lose your leg? And what do you mean, bring them back?"

The construct's curiosity has always been one of his most annoying traits, in addition to his lack of awareness of social conventions. The monk's eyes glow faintly as he assesses the situation.

1658769082097.png

Brenlin
Haha nice! Okay so I'm going to say that based on that nat 20 and that you are apparently making him a crutch that you know this person either from crossing paths in your journey or through reputation.

You see Eropall Jacko, the man with one leg, arguing with Blake Thunderson, a local farmer who has been outspoken in his opinions on how The Last War ended.

Eropall is from Cyre and a survivor of The Mourning. He works with an organization called the Guiding Light. The purpose of The Guiding Light is to find displaced Cyresans and build a network to help reunite families other refugee programs. He normally travels with his husband Credence but you don't see Credence anywhere. You know Eropall to be a generally upbeat individual, as much as one can be as a survivor of an extinction level event.

Slapdash

You notice that the Larger person is strong and can see the edges of a few scars on the areas of exposed skin he has. You surmise he has seen his share of combat and carries himself accordingly. He is looking down at the smaller man with not quite anger and not quite disgust but something in between the two.

The smaller man looks like a beggar for sure. You've seen many since the end of the war. However where most beggars have a look of sadness and sullen eyes this man looks frantic. You understand that if these two were to come to blows the taller man would have a clear advantage but the smaller has a look of desperation you've seen before that you know means the fight could go either way.

"Excuse me? Oh, no I wasn't a soldier. I worked the farm while my husband was away at war. Please, my friend, the warforged are honorable and know no fear. We have been in search of some Cyresan children rumored to be in the area. My husband went ahead to look for them a few days ago and I've lost contact with him. When I went to look all I found is this"

he pulls a small stuffed doll in the shape of a frog from his pack. It has blood stains on it.

"I fear the worst has happened and none will help"

Last edited:
Slapdash turns to the larger man, still standing too close. "You were a soldier, though? Are your children missing too? Does a bloody doll make you uncomfortable? It seems like it would make one uncomfortable."

Another insight roll, if you like:

1658776406132.png

huh...with the same outcome, even

Last edited:
While Brenlin works his way through the crowd, he hears a third voice now join the ruckus. Upon reaching the inner edge of the gathered group, he sees what he had feared, Eropall, a Cyresan refugee, again being harassed. Any other given day Eropall would take it in stride, ever the optimist like himself, but since the disappearance of his husband, the man became more and more frantic as each day passed. Brenlin also recognized the agressor, Blake, though only in passing and by reputation.

This third actor was curious, and unfamiliar to Brenlin. It was clear that while his intentions were good he lacked a certain social grace that might push the encounter toward the wrong side of friendly. Brenlin crossed the final gap between crowd and stage and inserted himself into the scene. As he moves through the gap, he removes the stowed crutch strapped to his back and presents it forward.

"Eropall! A gift! I know it won't bring Credence back to you but please, it will make day-to-day life a bit easier, and with you being a bit more mobile maybe it will ease the search for someone that can assist in finding him." He straightens Eropall up, slips the crutch under his shoulder, and attempts to shift him back from the confrontation slightly as he does. "Has our friend Blake here offered up his help in locating Credence and the children? Strong, skilled man like himself, I'm sure he'd track them down in no time!"

Last edited:
Slapdash

You size up the larger man. Aside from what you gathered earlier you notice his tattoo Indicating that he was of medium importance in the Breland military. It's odd that a Brelander would be so hostile to a Cyresan as they were allies for much of the war and Breland took in the most refugees from Cyre during The Mourning. Let me know if there's anything more specific you're looking for.

"Yer a noisy one ain't ya? Yeah I fought. When Cyre sent up the call Breland answered. And for what? A hundred year war that didn't even see things through to the end. Now these Cyresans are looking at Breland again for help after they pissed their whole country off the map! What more should we give? You can't find some Cyre trash out in the woods? That ain't my problem."

He turns to address Brenlin

"Think yer a clever one huh? I got my own family to worry about. You give such a damn about them kids you can stick your neck out for 'em. I'm done. Only thing making me uncomfortable is all this outlander trash in my town!"

and Blake makes his way past the rest of the crowd and walks off.

Eropall turns to face Brenlin

"It's you! Friend of the people! Surely you would aid me in this crisis. If not for me then for the children who've lost so much already. Please, I could pay! Not much but surely enough to satisfy say....a group of 5-7 ragtag group of heroes looking for adventure! I'm not picky! Almost anyone with ability would be welcome!"

for a moment you swear a golden exclamation point hovers above his head.

Last edited:
"Were I able to help you know I would have the first day. I fear if I went looking on my own, we'd need a second search party. But perhaps with assistance from our curious friend, and some others, we can make a go of it eh?"

Brenlin peaks through the now slowly dispersing crowd, hopeful, then back to the warforged.

"What say you...uh...sorry I don't believe I caught your name? I'm not much of a fighter myself but would be happy to heal any injuries we might sustain during the search. Eropall is a wonderful man, and a great friend, and I hate to see him in such a state. Though, I should say, it would be best to further bolster our ranks a bit. I'm sure you're expertly capable, no offense meant there to your abilities, I'd really rather us be safe than sorry."

He continues to look through the crowd.

Edit after clarification when to roll.
*Perception check to see if I notice any others that might stand out or look capable in the area.*
Screenshot_20220725-151903_D&D Beyond.jpg

Last edited:
Slapdash rubs the back of his neck in a fashion he has seen the fleshier humanoids do when abashed. "Well, I'm not from here," he says. "I'm only in town to visit an old friend."

The construct looks at the amputee. His eyes flicker as he processes his options. "Time may be of the essence, though," he says at last. He turns to Brenlin, putting a hand out. "And I may be uniquely capable to help, yes. My friends call me Slapdash."

While he and Brenlin shake hands, he turns his head to Eropall. "After I go, I need you to hop a message," he says with no hint of irony or malice, "over to Captain Gil Frenson on Flower Street. Let him know I have reprioritized my schedule to offer you aid."

An usually large, both in height and width, woman emerges from the local tavern. She is moving with a casual stroll, and the flush of her face, as well as a sleepy half-grin would indicate she's had more than a few of the tavern's libations. The grin turns to a confused frown as she spies the group around the one-legged man, and heads towards the commotion.

Uncertain what she can di to intervene in such a fracas, Ren falls back on what she knows best, a song to lighten the mood and encourage the crowd into a better temperament. She sings and strums towards a tavern, pausing near a towering figure. Perhaps the crowd will disperse for a drink or continue on with their day.

I've got a smile on my face and I've got four walls around me
I've got the sun in the sky, all the water surround me, oh, you know
Yeah, I win now and sometimes I lose
I've been battered, but I never bruise
It's not so bad
And I say way-hey-hey, it's just an ordinary day
And it's all your state of mind
At the end of the day
You've just got to say it's all right

PERFORMANCE ROLL: 16

A passerby pulls out a few silver and looks for a hat.

"Oh uhm...not seeing where to put uh...well here"

And gently places 5 silver near your feet.

A relatively large (for a bird) or small (for a person) creature* comes gliding down from higher-up and settles on the gutters of the inn, listening intently to the song. She's turning her head this way and that, focusing on the singer.

Last edited:
A small dwarven child pokes her head from around the corner.

"Oi, what ya geezers doing wit Lord Frogsworth?"

She points to the stuffed frog doll.

"Didja steals that from mi friend kimmie? Best give that back to her before we get to scrappin'"

006a99ab435438ae137c223c90ef8dae.jpg

Slapdash cocks his head at the child. "Why would a crippled adult man steal a doll?" he says to the child. "Is that a frequent occurrence in this city? Do you really intend to fight said adults for the doll? I have so many more questions. But...but...perhaps you know where the doll's owner is? Yes, that seems like the more important of the questions."

The girl makes her way to Slapdash and looks up at him. She rests her ax over her shoulder and narrows her eyes at him, trying to get a read on him.

"Maybe I do and maybe I don't. What's it to ya? Yous the law or summthin'? I ain't no snitch I ain't. Mi brother said that his friend stinky Pete said that if yous the law then yous gotta tell me but I saw Stinky Pete eat the wrong end of a shrimp once so who's really to say. You're onna them metel men. Do metel men eat metel? What does gold taste like? Mi da gave me a gold coin once and it had chocolate inside so I guess gold must taste like chocolate"

"I don't even have a mouth," Slapdash says, looking down at the girl. "Do dwarves not develop good vision until they are older? And what's the wrong end of a shrimp? Why do you think the law wouldn't help Kimmie? Or does she not need any help? Is Kimmie a she? I get confused by genders."

Brenlin sees that Slapdash is preoccupied and handling the dwarf girl well. He steps a bit forward and makes a plea out to any passersby.

"Please, good folk of Ringbrair, is anyone stern enough, courageous enough, even desperate enough for a hot meal, and company enough to throw in with us! Several people have gone missing recently, a tale each one of us knows all too well these last few years, to be sure, but now with the little ones disappearing, I fear our hope might vanish along with them. We cannot allow the absence of children's laughter to continue in your fair city and must do what we can to get to the bottom of this! Eropall here, of The Guiding Light, has offered to fund the search if you need the gold to sway you but please, help us bring back our hope because isn't that what children are? A promise to the future, a symbol to show that we're strong enough to go on, as a people, even in these dark times. That we will continue to fight?"

He looks once again over the crowd, desperation in his voice as the sun glints on his dark scales. As he tries to rouse the crowd he makes a silent prayer to Silvanus, the warmth of the sun giving him a sort of comfort that he may be listening.

*Rolled a second time in error there but the d4 is for guidance*

1658952485293.png

Last edited:
Since the music seems to have stopped, Rubecula scans the crowded streets, trying to see if there's anything that attracts their attention (Perception - 14)

Brenlin

You get the sense that your pleas fall on deaf ears. Several people scoff as they pass by. Finally one older woman approaches you.

"We've all lost so much. It's like Blake was saying. We got our own children and our own problems. End of the day, they ain't our kids. I'd move it along if I were you."

She walks off avoiding eye contact with the rest of the group.

Rubecula

You scan the area and don't see anything too unusual. The crowd has dispersed for the most part. Some people are still looking on as Brenlin makes his case but none come forward to help.

Slapdash

The dwarven girl seems a little flustered at you answering her questions with your own. You two keep the exchange going for a bit until she holds up a hand to you, expectantly.

"Right, now bruv, lets say I do know where Kimmie does hang out. What's it to you to find out?"

"If children are missing,
What's with our thinking?
Help if you can, pray if you must.
Find the lost children is only just.
Here is a dragon, pleading his case,
Joined by a monk with a metallic face.
Who will join them to find small Kimmie;
If no other than a songbird like me?"

PERSUASION ROLL: 22

Dejected by the woman, if understanding, Brenlin continues.

"Bard! I hear the care in your song, please! Bolster our ranks and our hearts with your music!"

He directs the call now to a young flame-haired woman who sings of his request, rather than to the general crowd.

Rubecula can hardly fail to be moved by such a song - the last time they were called a songbird they can't remember, and the search for children missing their parents speaks straight to the heart. They land a short distance away, and walk over to the man asking for help. "this seems like a worthy cause. What's going on, that these children are missing?"

"Ah! A light in the darkness! Truth be told, I'm not certain of the exact circumstances. Some children recently have gone missing, one named Kimmie, owner of Lord Frogsworth there and acquaintance of our dwarven friend. Eropall's husband has already attempted to find them but has now gone missing himself. He had come to me days ago, asking to assist in the search but" Brenlin gestures to his quarterstaff, his ornate leaf-shaped shield and...rough...clothing "as much as I wished to help, alone I feared I'd be no better off. But this has gone on too long now, and with others missing, I must steel myself. We must try. Slapdash has agreed to assist as well so our ranks swell with your aid. If the bard there joins in, well. All the merrier.

My name is Brenlin, lovely to meet you."

Last edited:
"If children are missing,
What's with our thinking?
Help if you can, pray if you must.
Find the lost children is only just.
Here is a dragon, pleading his case,
Joined by a monk with a metallic face.
Who will join them to find small Kimmie;
If no other than a songbird like me?"

PERSUASION ROLL: 22
For my understanding who are you directing this to?