Health and Fitness News

To me, it looks like the big secret (without all the privileged “hunter-gatherer lifestyle” bullshit) is “do some stretching/yoga every day”. Which any physical therapist would tell you. And can be done in modified forms at your desk/workstation. And there’s tons of free resources to get you started. (There, I saved you $19.95.)
Nothing she's selling is a big secret. It's been known for years (meaning "scientifically" known, backed up by studies) that a sedentary lifestyle that includes long periods of sitting does a number on your metabolism, glucose, insulin, etc. If her message is "hey slob! Stop sitting around all the time," the health industry has been telling us that for a long time :)

For the record, I am not advocating purchasing her materials.
The video, however, presents an alternative way of looking at movement as more than merely exercise, which is a concept I think needs to be more widely adopted.
...the same way I think "be a good person" applies 24hrs/day, and not just while on the clock/during church/during an interview, etc.

--Patrick

Here's the headline: Fecal transplants in a capsule may be as effective as those delivered by colonoscopy: study

Published in JAMA as well, so not snake oil. Good to get a less-invasive but still effective treatment for C. Diff.

So that's great, but that's not why I posted this: PUN time! "Poop Pills" are already in many headlines about this, so that's taken, but I'm sure the good people here can come up with a whole PLETHORA of other names that we'll all enjoy about this news. Extra points for alliteration.

Go at it people!

Down to 201. Super close to my goal for this year.
I've made quite a few changes. I eat an egg + fruit for breakfast. I am eating mostly vegetarian for lunch, usually a salad. Dinner is meat and 2 veg. My breakfast and lunch are nearly salt-free. I am working out ~3x a week and have been walking more. BP is getting a little lower, but still not great.

People are always saying, "You need to exercise and eat better."
Turns out they may be one and the same.
Scientists found that after exercising for several weeks, formerly sedentary study participants were more likely to choose foods like lean meats, fruits and vegetables, while preferences for fried foods, sodas and other unhealthy options decreased. Participants were instructed not to change their diets in any significant way, but it happened anyway.
--Patrick

Been hitting the gym 3x a week for 2 1/2 months now. Mainly weightlifting. I have not felt this good in my body since my college days.

Schedule and weather have limited my chances to get rides in so far this year. I finally got in a ride above 50 miles for the year -- 58 miles (93 km). I had already settled in before realizing that I could have picked up the metric century. Maybe next time!

The study, published in the journal Science, found four phases of metabolic life:
  1. - Birth to age one, when the metabolism shifts from being the same as the mother's to a lifetime high 50% above that of adults
  2. - A gentle slowdown until the age of 20, with no spike during all the changes of puberty
  3. - No change at all between the ages of 20 and 60
  4. - A permanent decline, with yearly falls that, by 90, leave metabolism 26% lower than in mid-life
Aside from how this discovery will no doubt affect ideas about fitness and exercise, I guess now we know why old people are always cranking up the thermostat and moving to Florida.

--Patrick

WHAT
THE ABSOLUTE
FUCK

Images in the paper that were supposed to show the relationship between memory issues and the presence of Aβ*56 appeared to have been altered. Some of them appeared to have been pieced together from multiple images[, and s]ome look like “shockingly blatant” examples of image tampering, says Donna Wilcock, an Alzheimer’s expert at the University of Kentucky. After reviewing the images, molecular biologist Elisabeth Bik said of the paper, “The obtained experimental results might not have been the desired results, and that data might have been changed to … better fit a hypothesis.”
This is THE paper that links amyloid plaques to Alzheimer's. The one that has been used as the basis for countless millions (billions?/!) of monies spent on research, even as the basis for definitively diagnosing the presence of the disease in a patient, and all this time it has apparently been a fraud? This would be like finding out the wind turbine people actually have been faking climate change, or that exercise has no real health benefits.

--Patrick

To say the least, I’ve had a bad week. Seems Monday morning I had a bad hart/stroke type event that took all my balance and equilibrium. I went to er in town yesterday I’m now 90 miles north in a different city. I’m feeling better, and accidentally did many of the right things to help with initial treatment of what happened.

To say the least, I’ve had a bad week. Seems Monday morning I had a bad hart/stroke type event that took all my balance and equilibrium. I went to er in town yesterday I’m now 90 miles north in a different city. I’m feeling better, and accidentally did many of the right things to help with initial treatment of what happened.
Damn dude. Hope you get the treatment you need. Hope you have a solid recovery.

Yeah, yeah, mostly due to stubbornness Drs still not exactly sure what set it off, looks like I possibly have a couple of weeks of rehab coming up. I’m currently in hospital in Tyler probably going home Monday to start rehab. Had angiogram today that showed everything seems to be progressing well. This has been like a week long dizzy hangover from riding the teacups too long.

Been home since Saturday, this is the first time I've tried typing on my keyboard. It's a mixed bag so far, I'm doing better with my balance while walking, still don't have some of the finier motor control worked out yet. It's a strange thing to have to re-teach yourself to do things you've done easily for decades.

6 months ago, my doc prescribed me glipizide for my diabetes. It helps by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, which helps pack sugar into your fat cells, like it's supposed to. One of the side effects: weight gain (which, reading what it does, i guess it's not surprising). I gained 20 lbs in 6 months.

So she took me off of it last visit 2 weeks ago, and put me on Mounjaro...one of those injectables like Ozympic and Wegovy that are supposed to help with weight loss. It's the "newer, better" version of this kind of med.

1684507875227.png

I didn't hold out much hope, though the clinical numbers above were pretty dramatic.

I've lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks.

Absolutely MASSIVE if true.

--Patrick
Scientist 1: Have you found a cure for Alzheimer's yet?

Scientist 2: No but I found a way to give it to others

Scientist 1: That's not... That's the opposite of... Did you forget what the goal was? Wait, are you testing on yourself?

Scientist 2: ... Who are you?