Help me remember a fantasy series I once read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I started a fantasy series years ago but I can't remember the title. Actually, there are probably a lot. I tended to not write anything down, and identify authors in my head by where their books were on the library shelves.

Anyway what I remember was it was about a group from a world like ours that got transported to a world of magic. Magic there was done by manipulating multi-colored threads that were invisible to non-magic users. At least one of the characters from our world could not only see the threads, but hear the musical tones they made, which seriously pissed off a native who was tone-deaf, and therefore struggled to be the magician his family expected him to be. Another character from our world couldn't do magic, but had martial arts training, I think specifically staff fighting.

Anyone know what books I'm talking about?

doomdragon6

Staff member
I remember reading a book where D&D players got transported to a world like the one they were playing. But I don't think there was anything about magical threads.

/useless post

doomdragon6 said:
I remember reading a book where D&D players got transported to a world like the one they were playing. But I don't think there was anything about magical threads.

/useless post
The one you are thinking of, Doom, is the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenburg.

The other sounds familiar, but it's not hitting me right now. I'll get it.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Hmm.. *wikipedia search*

Oh wow, you're right.

Huh, maybe I should try to find whichever one I read again.

I remember two of the main girls (or maybe they were just some random-ass girls, I don't know) getting raped in these books, and I was really put off by that back when I read it. It just seemed so dark and unnecessary. I do remember the beserker using his knowledge of this to break free of his chains and go beserk on the baddies though.

I remember very little about that book, but I do remember just being extremely unsettled by the whole book. I don't know why.

Edrondol said:
doomdragon6 said:
/useless post
The one you are thinking of, Doom, is the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenburg[sic]. The other sounds familiar, but it's not hitting me right now. I'll get it.
I've read the entire GotF series. It's stellar. Passionate, gritty, entertaining. Another with the same sort of premise is Quag Keep, by Andre Norton. There's also a remote possibility the D&D one could be Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series, or possibly Her Majesty's Wizard, or Foster's Spellsinger series, or a number of others I could name. The one about the lines of magic might be Robert Asprin's Myth books, but I doubt it. Hang on, let me dip into Google a moment...
(30-40min pass)
...nope. Sorry. No luck. Odds are pretty good it's one of the many books I have that I haven't gotten around to reading yet.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
PatrThom said:
The one about the lines of magic might be Robert Asprin's Myth books, but I doubt it. Hang on, let me dip into Google a moment...
(30-40min pass)
...nope. Sorry. No luck. Odds are pretty good it's one of the many books I have that I haven't gotten around to reading yet.
Thanks for the replies. I've got most of of the Myth books on my shelf right now. Good series, though the new ones aren't as good as before Asprin took a break to deal with tax problems. I like the Phule's Company books better now. Phule's Company needs to be made into a movie, as does The Cold Cash War.

Status
Not open for further replies.