HELP WANTED: Need Test Readers for Short Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a procrastinator by nature, but against all odds, I managed to actually write out a short story a few months back.

A bit of background regarding the story:
- It looks like it'll be somewhere nearish 6000 words.
- It's supposed to be Science Fiction, which basically just means it takes place in the future (i.e. there are no space aliens or ridiculous technology. Space travel and will feature in later segments, but it's not quite prominent in this story)
- It's part of a more complicated future history that I'm working on, and admittedly plays a very small part in the grand scheme of things. But the fact that it's not an integral part of my larger plan is probably the only reason that I actually finished it.
- It's about the world's first military coup of a multinational corporation in my future history. Mercantilism is a big part of later chapters, and I figured this might help set the stage, as well as introduce one character that I hope to call on later.

What I need test readers to look for/bring back to me:
- General suggestions, if you've got them. This is essentially my first attempt at getting a story to a publishable level (not to say that I intend to publish it. I just want it to be completely, and unquestionably finished, and filed away)
- Spelling issues. I grew up doing Canadian/British English, but I want this to be correct to American English standards. A lot of stuff has slipped through, I suspect, and I need help.
- Feedback about storytelling or questions about the mythos. As I said, I've got a rather complicated backstory and/or future history worked out in my head, and sometimes I forget that nobody but me knows the details. If something doesn't make sense to you, or you feel like you'd just like more expository light shed on another issue, let me know.

I'm intending to get a website up at the end of the summer as a publishing platform for some of the stuff I'm working on, and I just need to put my best foot forward. So if you're interested in doing this for me, I'd be hugely grateful. Just respond here and/or PM me with your email address, so I can send you the file in a few days.

I

Iaculus

Sounds like a job for the iaculus right here.

Why do you need it in American English, by the way? I presume the publishers are picky about that sort of thing, yes?

Will PM over the e-mail address right away.

The American English is just something I need to get used to. My entire life I've written a sort of mish-mash of American and British English. It's gotten me into a bit of trouble at University, but not enough for me to overhaul my entire understanding of the English language.

I personally like British English better, but most of the publishers I've looked at are American. I don't intend to publish anything soon, but I need to be ready, in case there comes a day that I want to give it a shot.

I

Iaculus

Fair enough - personally, I'd just stick with the one you're more used to, but then again, I'm none too savvy regarding the arcane mysteries of publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.