[Gaming] HF Gaming Night! (Oct 3rd)

Alright folks, the last few weeks we had some decent Mass Effect 3 MP going on. Last week we did a non-gaming activity in CAH and 14 people showed up.

That's cool.

This week, I propose the following.

Let's make more people want to play with the cool kids, let's make sure everyone has this game... and thus..

Team Fortress.

Preferably Mann vs Man?

What say you plebs?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd be down for some MvM. I've never really gotten a good bunch going for an extended time other than other times we've done it ourselves.

Dave

Staff member
My son & I have been playing this, but since he's in Korea either he or I get lag. Depends on where the servers are we get.

GasBandit

Staff member
My two strongest classes are engi and demo, but I can be a heavy or medic in a pinch if I have to. Probably best I stay off my Demo anyway, he's pretty much a demoknight, and that doesn't work out so well in MvM in my experience.

It's important for people to know, however, that contrary to what they might think, it's pretty important for one of the 6 of the team to be a scout.

I'll install it later tonight, give it a try. Probably go Soldier, it seems like that'd be hard to screw up too bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll install it later tonight, give it a try. Probably go Soldier, it seems like that'd be hard to screw up too bad.
Servers run by the Lotus clan tend to be lower intensity and fill in empty slots with bots, good for learning to play on. So when you go looking for a server, maybe search "lotus."

GasBandit

Staff member
It's a lot harder to be a good medic than I thought it would be when I first started playing. There's a real trick to healing as many people as possible, staying out of danger, and hitting the ubercharge when appropriate. And that's just on a vanilla build! Start throwing things like the kritzkrieg or quickfix or the crossbow or all the other medic items into the mix and it changes things.

Uh... yeah. So I downloaded it and started playing.

I got my ass handed to me by the practice round. I suck unbelievably at this game.

I was reasonable at medic when I played it, but this is probably due to healing/support being my comfort zone for things. I also haven't played TF2 in at least 2 years, so I can only imagine. I am also somewhat awful at shooters in general. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
Uh... yeah. So I downloaded it and started playing.

I got my ass handed to me by the practice round. I suck unbelievably at this game.
Don't worry, human opponents are usually way worse than the practice round bots.

GasBandit

Staff member
My nemesis was a goddamn sentry gun.
If you've got a halfway decent demo or spy on your team when you're playing for real, only a sentry gun under constant repair stands a chance... and really that doesn't happen often because it's a pretty tedious way to play.

I'm pretty good at TF2, but I've never played MvM.

But that's fine, im sure it's incredibly noob friendly, right?

:awesome:

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty good at TF2, but I've never played MvM.

But that's fine, im sure it's incredibly noob friendly, right?

:awesome:
It's a whole different ball of wax, lemme tell you. As important as teamwork was in other game modes, it's essential in MvM. And let me tell you, there's not much that can soil your drawers more than the sight of 20+ robot soldiers all firing rockets at you simultaneously.

It's a whole different ball of wax, lemme tell you. As important as teamwork was in other game modes, it's essential in MvM. And let me tell you, there's not much that can soil your drawers more than the sight of 20+ robot soldiers all firing rockets at you simultaneously.
Can...can I airblast them back?

Hmm, haven't done much MvM and I'm more of a casual TF2 player in general, but I'm interested. My most played classes go Demoman >> Engineer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm, haven't done much MvM and I'm more of a casual TF2 player in general, but I'm interested. My most played classes go Demoman >> Engineer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else.
Coincidentally those are two very useful MvM classes.

The best groups I've MvM'd with basically go Heavy, Medic, Demo, scout, sniper, and engi.

GasBandit

Staff member
I could do all of those except demo. I can never play a good demo.

Also I suck at rocket jumping.
Not much need for rocket/sticky jumping on most MvM maps I've played.

It's mostly about defending chokepoints, grabbing cash before it vanishes, and drinking from the metal robot firehose.