How big of a baby were you?

I don't know why I'm curious. Maybe because all of my friends are expecting right now. Well, not all, just most. So, how big were you when you were born? I was born in a cold January in the Northwest Territories. I was one of two births that night in the hospital. One, was a tiny Inuit baby weighing in at 4.5 pounds. The other, was an enormous long-haired viking baby that was 9 pounds 2 ounces and 24 inches long. There wasn't much chance of any confusion.

8 pounds 6 ounces. After my mom was in labor for a day and a half, my heart slowed down enough that the doctor decided to do a c-section.

Noah was 8 pounds 3 ounces. Lily was 8 pounds 12 ounces!

6 lbs 14oz, premie by a month and c-section due to preeclampsia.

My daughter was 6lbs 11oz and 3 weeks early and my son was 7 lbs 4oz and 4-5 weeks early.

I don't remember?
I don't mean "because I was being born hurr hurr," but rather because while I can remember the specifics of my son's birth (5lb12oz 20in 6wk early), I can't seem to remember the particulars of my own birth. I guess it's because people ask it of me more rarely.

--Patrick

9lbs, 8 oz and roughly on time. Good thing my mom is 6', since she barely showed until about 6 months into pregnancy. She also was in labor for less than 2 hours, so despite my size, it seems I was pretty easy on her. :D

6 lbs 11 oz, I don't know length. I do know, however, that I was so active in the womb that my Mum actually lost weight while pregnant with me. And since she hadn't gained any weight, the last month she had to be put on bed rest and eat ice cream every night.

Living the dream right there.

I believe it was a pretty average 8.5 lbs, born very early one May 9th morning (which was a Friday back in my year of birth). My mother got a special blanket and an award from the dairy council (my dad was in the dairy industry back then), for being the baby born closest to Mother's Day - which has continued to haunt me for the rest of my life. Want to go out for dinner on your birthday? Too fucking bad, dude. Everywhere is booked solid because of families trying to beat the Mother's Day rush.

fade

Staff member
I believe it was a pretty average 8.5 lbs, born very early one May 9th morning (which was a Friday back in my year of birth). My mother got a special blanket and an award from the dairy council (my dad was in the dairy industry back then), for being the baby born closest to Mother's Day - which has continued to haunt me for the rest of my life. Want to go out for dinner on your birthday? Too fucking bad, dude. Everywhere is booked solid because of families trying to beat the Mother's Day rush.
My daughter was born on the 4th of July. She's never had a party on her birthday because no one is around that day.

My daughter was born on the 4th of July. She's never had a party on her birthday because no one is around that day.
Yep, we learned early on to just schedule my birthday parties for a different weekend when I was a kid. It's just an annoyance as an adult. And honestly, my wife has it worse. Her birthday is the 13th of February, she never got birthday parties or birthday presents separate from Valentine's Day parties or presents. And now our wedding anniversary is on the 23rd of December.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yep, we learned early on to just schedule my birthday parties for a different weekend when I was a kid. It's just an annoyance as an adult. And honestly, my wife has it worse. Her birthday is the 13th of February, she never got birthday parties or birthday presents separate from Valentine's Day parties or presents. And now our wedding anniversary is on the 23rd of December.
Ok, but in all fairness, you guys picked your wedding date.

Ok, but in all fairness, you guys picked your wedding date.
For the most part, yes. We were actually aiming for the 20th/21st for Winter Solstice, but family obligations (ie, "What do you mean you want a small, private ceremony?") got in the way.

GasBandit

Staff member
For the most part, yes. We were actually aiming for the 20th/21st for Winter Solstice, but family obligations (ie, "What do you mean you want a small, private ceremony?") got in the way.
20/21st would still be too close to Christmas, imo. If you ask me, you need at least a 15 day buffer from any gift-giving holiday.

Whose idea was this "winter solstice" business?

20/21st would still be too close to Christmas, imo. If you ask me, you need at least a 15 day buffer from any gift-giving holiday.

Whose idea was this "winter solstice" business?
It was going to have to be one of the solstices or equinoxes, and that was the easiest to remember. And to this day we both have trouble remembering if our anniversary is the 21st or the 23rd.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait... doesn't the last bubble of that comic counter the point you're making?
No, I think you're misinterpreting the "yeah." It's not answering the previous rhetorical question, it's answering "of course it does" to the guy saying a bee stung his mouth.

My birthday's the 24 of December. Good luck scheduling a birthday party, this other guy's birthday is apparently more important for a lot of folks. Pfoei.

fade

Staff member
No, I think you're misinterpreting the "yeah." It's not answering the previous rhetorical question, it's answering "of course it does" to the guy saying a bee stung his mouth.
Okay... I see that -- but that's confusing.