How do I setup a server? (Left 4 dead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

Ok. Mods can move this if they feel it should be in the other forum, but I figure this forum gets more views and might be able to answer my question.

I want to set up a Left 4 Dead server via the Steam L4D server. I always wonder how people put in custom stuff in the game. I try to find some but keep running into old info on running non-steam dedicated server stuff (which confuse me)

The main reason is that I want to run the new maps that are the community mods (looks cool) I figure if I can get one up and running, people can join me and play.

R

Rubicon

I'll take a crack at it

I'm assuming setting up a Source based game is similar if not the same as a HL1 engine server.

Linux server or Windows? (this matters)

The non-steam server thing is basically self explanatory, it sets up a server that is not or will not be recognized by the Steam master server list. You pretty much could still connect to it via the console within the game but you're more than likely going to want to use Steam for ease-of-use.

Now, as for setting it up, there are several ways to go about this. One is to upload all the nessecary files onto whatever server you are using. Go ahead and edit any .cfg/ini's you need to edit, upload those too. The tricky part comes in with accessing the server. Back when I ran a server or two, I used PuTTy to basically telnet into my server and issue commands. Which trust me, if you're using Linux and it's new to you, you're gonna have to learn Linux command line. Easier with Windows. With this I was able to log into the server, reset it, take it down, put it up, etc.

The guts of settings are the cfg's/inis. Player count limit, map availability etc

If you wanna add custom stuff, download it and read the install/readme guides on how to install. If it's worth its salt, an add on will tell you exactly where to place it's files, what lines of code you need to change, etc. If you add something or alter something, upload it to your server, overwrite the old file, telnet in and turn off the server, then turn it back on. This will obviously reinitialize its settings.

If Source games are different, then I dunno.

What you are looking for are L4D Dedicated Steam Server files. I think you can download/access them within Steam, if not, :google:

C

Chibibar

I am trying to use dedicated Left 4 Dead server that is provided by Steam, but it doesn't have any manuals (my search fu is weak on this one) and when I launch it, it is only campaign mode, no verses and I want to load some maps options :)

R

Rubicon

I dunno if there are any GUI options to set the game parameters, never ran a server for a Source game.

google it, best i can give ya, or look into setting it up outside of Steam, but still allowing the server to register with the master server list

C

crono1224

Chibibar said:
I am trying to use dedicated Left 4 Dead server that is provided by Steam, but it doesn't have any manuals (my search fu is weak on this one) and when I launch it, it is only campaign mode, no verses and I want to load some maps options :)

I'll just try linking this thoguh i maybe way off

http://left4dead411.com/left-4-dead-servers

C

Chibibar

crono1224 said:
Chibibar said:

ah thank. That is what I am looking for (I think) many other search I found more of how to setup server from scratch not from Valve Download.... I think I can get this to work :)

C

crono1224

Chibibar said:
crono1224 said:
Chibibar said:

ah thank. That is what I am looking for (I think) many other search I found more of how to setup server from scratch not from Valve Download.... I think I can get this to work :)

Good luck i did what i could :D.

C

Chibibar

I think I found out some more info about the GUI portion of the L4D server. I was looking for map rotation and stuff and it looks like you don't need to make the cfg file or map rotation. It is built in (you have to double click the space) but what is weird is that I can't seem to connect to it directly, but I notice players can connect to it ONCE it started.... weird.

I'll need to look more into it tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.