[PC Game] How to Play Killing Floor 2

Is it that Survivalist is not useful, or just that people who play Survivalist tend to go wide instead of deep in the tech tree, leaving them underpowered?

—Patrick

Is it that Survivalist is not useful, or just that people who play Survivalist tend to go wide instead of deep in the tech tree, leaving them underpowered?

—Patrick
It's that Survivalist was specifically added to make the game harder for people who already mastered all the other perks.

GasBandit

Staff member

—Patrick
What Dei said. That, and the Survivalist's jack-of-all-trades design means there's no task it is particularly good at, so basically what happens is it utterly fails to fulfill whatever role is lacking in the group it joins.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a tweak tool now for KF2 that lets you configure settings more easily to make it run better (and fucking load faster) on both low and high spec PCs.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tonight I snagged and played a few new custom maps, here's some "Hell on Earth" difficulty highlights and descriptions of each:

KF-Milltown-Burgerking

That should be Burger TANK. This is an adaptation of the final showdown in the "Hard Rain" campaign for Killing floor 2. It's a medium-small map with lots of clutter to get caught up in if you aren't careful, but if you know the map well, you can use it to your advantage.

KF-playboy_clean_edition

A map consisting of a long, straight causeway with no cover other than other zeds. I discovered partway into it there's a button to play a custom meme-tastic soundtrack at EXCRUCIATINGLY LOUD LEVELS so some of this highlight got muted for copyright.

KF-outrun

Well, it ain't KF-SynthwaveThing, but it's got the aesthetic. What it really is is a TINY map with lots of scenery consisting of a single short length of street with practically no cover (unless you count hiding behind a street light cover). Very challenging.

KF-TankaichiBudokai

Yyyyep, it's a Dragonball Z themed level. Quite large and expansive, with lots of cover to hide behind. Also it has the "cars zooming down the street" gag from the Gas Station Arcade level that kills most anything it hits, so be careful crossing the street (and if you're clever you can get zeds to die getting run over). Really, this level largely trivializes the game's difficulty, even on Hell On Earth. Purely a gimmick level.

KF-UT-FacingWorlds-Classic-2004_Gravity

An excellently done port of the best level from Unreal Tournament, Facing Worlds. There are two versions, a normal one and this one, which features the most popular UT mutator to use on this level, low gravity. The low gravity, admittedly, does make it a lot easier to escape the zeds, but it also makes it much more dangerous to get hit by something that knocks back because it can easily send you flying off the edge for an instant death. A great trip down memory lane for old school FPS gamers.

AAAAAHHHHHH

Ok, so just how much of this nickel-and-dime DLC do I actually need in order to play? And I say this as someone who has the DDlxEd.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Spent 5 hours playing with the folks from Ember (about 13 or so of them) in KF2 last night. We drank, we killed, it was fun.

The new medic/berserker hybrid weapon, the Hemoclobber, is great.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wait, I see the issue. The KF2 page is also showing KF1 DLC (as part of their franchise combos), which yes, I bought the deluxe edition and got all the DLC for.

I don't have any DLC for KF2.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know this probably doesn't interest anybody but me :p but two things:

1) The KF2 halloween event is underway, with a new map (and it's a pretty good map), new challenges, and a new reward skin for the Kriss SMG.

2) Someone has come up with a super easy program to run your own KF2 server if you want. Seriously, I wish I'd had this years ago, it literally makes setting up and running a KF2 server near-effortless. (My KF2 Server is still up and accessible, and has the 32 player mod, but I felt like people should know about this).

GasBandit

Staff member
After much struggling, I got the in-game redirect download working on my server!

That means that my favorite (and discontinued by the author) map can live again! Synthwavething is on my server again, and it should work from now on! Yay!